Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Question re DRM stripping of Nook Books

Now that we have a thread about free Nook Books, I would like to give it a try.

I have been downloading free Kindle books onto my Kindle4PC, and stripping the DRM.

Is stripping the DRM now possible for Nook Books? If so, what DRM do they use?

Does B&N have a program similar to Kindle4PC that I need to download?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Now that we have a thread about free Nook Books, I would like to give it a try.

I have been downloading free Kindle books onto my Kindle4PC, and stripping the DRM.

Is stripping the DRM now possible for Nook Books? If so, what DRM do they use?

Does B&N have a program similar to Kindle4PC that I need to download?
Ah, I'm not an old hand here, but surely that sort of discussion isn't allowed on here? Remember, google is your friend (so are Lewis Carroll's favorite vegetables . Cryptic? Perhaps just a mite - you'll see ).
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We have a lengthy thread about ADE ePub being circumvented, so I don't see what's wrong with this one.

If it violates the rules, the moderators are welcome to delete it!
Old 11-01-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Check out Apprentice Alf's blog...

(short answer is YES).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
We have a lengthy thread about ADE ePub being circumvented, so I don't see what's wrong with this one.

If it violates the rules, the moderators are welcome to delete it!
Well, I did say I didn't know the policies here that well (every other board I've been to has policies against discussing DRM removal - I guess MR is more enlightened ).

But in that case, the I<heart>cabbages blog has an answer for you. I don't know a DRM scheme that has not been circumvented yet. I guess its function is merely to keep lawyers employed.
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Thanks guys. I think I've found my answer.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawn_aj View Post
I don't know a DRM scheme that has not been circumvented yet. I guess its function is merely to keep lawyers employed.
Was the Sony LRX encryption ever cracked? That format was around for at least 3 years before Sony discontinued it. I haven't been paying attention, but I'm not sure Apple's iBook encryption's been cracked either, but it's only been out a couple months.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Was the Sony LRX encryption ever cracked? That format was around for at least 3 years before Sony discontinued it. I haven't been paying attention, but I'm not sure Apple's iBook encryption's been cracked either, but it's only been out a couple months.
In both cases, I don't know . Sorry - I didn't mean for my earlier statement to sound comprehensive - it was more an expression of my ignorance beyond the major book formats extant today - the cabbage tools are remarkably complete in that regard .

Is the iBookstore a major player in the bookselling game? - I would guess not (yet anyway). Surely, between the two of them B&N and Amazon have nailed most of the US market at least in terms of availability of books. Perhaps there's no real demand for it considering the target audience of the iPad (y'know - rich(-ish?) people ).

A cursory search for iBook DRM removal didn't yield anything so I would guess it's still secure (as far as I could tell, they use the FairPlay DRM - an oxymoron if I ever saw one but who am I to judge? ).