Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
alexibm
alexibm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Screen Saver as current page

Hi !

Is there a way to make Current page I am reading to be the screen saver ??

Thanks !
alexibm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
No... The kindle uses a set of pictures as the screen saver. You can use the stock ones or install the hack and put your own... but not the current page.

Would be neat though
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
3bayjunkie
SPC
3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 (3g,black)
so what your saying is, you want your screen saver to be turned off? I bet someone has made a hack for that... I'll look into it but im sure someone will find it before me, because i am uber busy right now!
3bayjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I think they are just saying they want the screensaver to automatically use the last page read as the image.

There is a timeout hack which extends the time before the screensaver (sleep mode) kicks in. No one should try to turn the screensaver off because it would negatively impact their battery life.

If you click the Kindle Hacks Information link in my sig, you'll a list of most of the hack currently available with links to the threads that talk about them.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
Terry851
Terry851 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G & Wifi
caveat: I'm new to the various hacks to the Kindle, so may be totally off base in my suggestion. I recall reading about a hack (or undocumented feature?) that did a screen capture. If that could be integrated with one of the screen saver hacks, that could give you what you want (eg as the shutdown timer expires, grab the current screen, then save that as a fixed name in your screen saver directory.) In theory this could be done, but I don't know if anyone is working on this. You could ask in one of the screensaver hack threads? Good luck!
Terry851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
So if you got this thing to work... how would you know if the screen saver was "on" or not? I would be very frustrated if I picked up my Kindle thinking I was "reading", only to find that my page turn buttons didn't do anything. This sounds like someone wants to play a practical joke on a Kindle owner to me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
So if you got this thing to work... how would you know if the screen saver was "on" or not? I would be very frustrated if I picked up my Kindle thinking I was "reading", only to find that my page turn buttons didn't do anything. This sounds like someone wants to play a practical joke on a Kindle owner to me.
Excellent point. Even though I have had my personal photos as my screen saver for a few months, I still pick it up and forget I have to slide the power switch to gain control. I have been too lazy to re-edit the photos to add a text box saying "slide the power switch."

Although, I did think about what was suggested above - a screen capture but then I understand that in order for NEW screensavers to become active, the unit needs to restart. A bit involved to display the current page being read.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I can see the need for this feature in at least one case. As I recall, there were pilots who wanted to have whatever landing plates (?) they were looking at on their Kindle, become the screensaver image when the Kindle went to sleep. I think the timeout hack was partially inspired by that need.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Duokan easily allows you to use the current page as screensaver or other custom pictures.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If someone figured out how to lock the Kindle,
but not activate a screensaver, they could

Add a nice overlay:

Either "if found" information box
Or a simple LOCKED icon or text
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #11
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Excellent point. Even though I have had my personal photos as my screen saver for a few months, I still pick it up and forget I have to slide the power switch to gain control. I have been too lazy to re-edit the photos to add a text box saying "slide the power switch."

Although, I did think about what was suggested above - a screen capture but then I understand that in order for NEW screensavers to become active, the unit needs to restart. A bit involved to display the current page being read.
Yup, I was the one who created the thread about "Stamping Screensavers" If you're having trouble doing it, I wouldn't mind doing it for you, as long as you give me all of the files in a ZIP.

This guy has something going along. I know that there are ways to print to the Kindle screen, like what Launchpad has. So it could technically be possible, but nobody has made a polished solution.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #12
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Thanks, Kranu but I can do it - just one more task to accomplish. I pretty much created something similar to "stamp" my email address on those same photos.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #13
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I can see the need for this feature in at least one case. As I recall, there were pilots who wanted to have whatever landing plates (?) they were looking at on their Kindle, become the screensaver image when the Kindle went to sleep. I think the timeout hack was partially inspired by that need.
My wife uses hers for recipes and often would like one page to stay visible for a while. We may try the built-in debug ~disableScreensaver option, but it's a (relatively) large amount of typing to get it on then off again.

What is the timeout hack?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #14
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
The time-out hack/update is here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004

Note that you must run the jail break hack first. This is very, very easy to do. The default timeout for the hack is 1 hour. This is perfect for me.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote