Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
JuNo! Challenge - MR Style

I probably should have mentioned this back in May, but a bunch of friends from my seminar have decided we wanted to start an (Un)official NaNoWriMo. We're all competing against one another on a quest to 50k. Or -50k.

Some are editing, some are writing, some are even just cheering us on from the sidelines.

I figured it was a good way to get the juices flowing. Anybody here interested in participating in a miniWrimo?

But, be warned - I've got a 15k lead on everyone

Cheers!

Oh..and as always.
Please don't feed the trolls. They'll only bite your fingers off. Ktxbi
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:28 AM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
I probably should have mentioned this back in May, but a bunch of friends from my seminar have decided we wanted to start an (Un)official NaNoWriMo. We're all competing against one another on a quest to 50k. Or -50k.

Some are editing, some are writing, some are even just cheering us on from the sidelines.

I figured it was a good way to get the juices flowing. Anybody here interested in participating in a miniWrimo?

But, be warned - I've got a 15k lead on everyone

Cheers!

Oh..and as always.
Please don't feed the trolls. They'll only bite your fingers off. Ktxbi
I wish to subscribe to your newsletter and know more about your organisation. Also, I like the name JuNo more than NaNoWriMo and would like some kind of website and or merchandise to go along with said name. Plus, tell me much more.

Also, ducks...
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 05:27 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
NickSpalding
Addict
NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I wrote 56,000 words in 30 hours.

Can I have a medal?

Or possibly a straight jacket?

I might have a pop at yours (or the official one) if my sanity can take it
NickSpalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm at close to 19,000 as of right now.

Nick, there's a nice padded room waiting for you somewhere out there

How did you manage that? My highest productive day was around 4,200.

Dadio,

I haven't even touched my NaNo for last year. Ugh...thanks for reminding me.

Holy Horseflies!!! There's a ghost in the room!!!!
Welcome back MJ
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 05:27 AM   #6
NickSpalding
Addict
NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I'm at close to 19,000 as of right now.

Nick, there's a nice padded room waiting for you somewhere out there

How did you manage that? My highest productive day was around 4,200.
I couldn't quite honestly say now. It seemed like a good idea at the time, just to see if it could be done!

I can usually bash out a high rate of words anyway, so figured if I could just keep going I'd make it. Making the book a series of anecdotes and comedy musings made it a bit easier, as I wasn't trying to constantly think up new plot developments.

I don't recommend anyone else give it a go, unless you like a bit of self-torture of a weekend
NickSpalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
jaxx6166
Wizard

Ugh. Today, MobileMe ate my homework I lost 2800+ words and am trying desperately to get that back. Serves me right for trusting an "autosync"

I went to load my most recent version to the laptop, and instead it copied the old version from the laptop to the digital disk, thereby erasing the current one I had been in for the past six hours. Picking up where I left off is really hard when your morale is crushed.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:35 AM   #8
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Ugh. Today, MobileMe ate my homework I lost 2800+ words and am trying desperately to get that back. Serves me right for trusting an "autosync"

I went to load my most recent version to the laptop, and instead it copied the old version from the laptop to the digital disk, thereby erasing the current one I had been in for the past six hours. Picking up where I left off is really hard when your morale is crushed.
Doh! Try Dropbox, it's free, 2gb of storage, and it does multiple backups so you can choose whichever one you like. It's saved more than one of my abandoned attempts at something or other.

http://www.dropbox.com
Old 06-13-2010, 04:07 AM   #9
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 05:27 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
Self-torture? Don't be sick. Why self-torture, when Mistress Dezire's rates are so affordable?

Re: Dropbox - I swear by it but I've never had to make use of the backups. My WP automatically saves so there would be a lot of incremental back-ups. I should probably stick an end of session back-up somewhere else.

I reinstall, upgrade and try different Operating Systems and other software multiple times a week and Dropbox has saved some of my most important documents on at least two occasions, everything else (meaning media files) I have backed up over removable hard-drives.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #11
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
The reason my blog is called "The Daring Novelist" is because I have put myself on a continuous novel dare. I have to blog every day with my progress.

I set the goals specific to my calendar. For instance, right now I just finished up one go at W.I.P. and I'm going on a trip next week, so I'm doing outlines and prep-work for two weeks. When I come back, I was going to do a six-week dare on rewriting the next novel, but I may shorten that time frame. I think the draft is in better shape than I thought.

Then I can get on to NEW stuff.

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #12
jaxx6166
Wizard

MJ, this is probably the fifth time I've heard about DropBox this week. I'm going to check it out. Work continued on Blood Moon (You may like it actually, MJ - it's that "western" I'd been trying to get started)

Went to write the ending today because if I don't do it today, I'll never do it. That's when I realized the whole 4th act was just one big scene. Blech. Reworked it to make it make sense We'll see where it goes from here..I'm at 27K