Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
Desdeana
Desdeana began at the beginning.

Device: none as of yet
Help I'm Lost!!

I am so confused at to which ereader to get. I have been reading and talking with people and they all have nothing but great things to say about what they personally use. My friend has the Nook and it is nice. I also want to stay around a 6 inch style so it is not to big but not to small.

I have used a website for over 6 months now and have a good selection of ebooks stored on my laptop. Some of which I haven't read yet and that is a big reason why I am looking into the ereader option. They are in differnt formats. I have a good bit of pdf files, I have Microsoft Reader, Adobe Digital Editions for viewing as well.

I don't want to spend alot of money on the books I will buy, most of which will be fiction. Wifi is nice but not necessary if I can download them on my computer then upload them that way, I usually know what I want to read before I buy the books. Although having the free first few chapers from Amazon is a nice bonus.

Any help or suggestions to make a buying decision would be nice.

Thank you,

Des
Desdeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Are you interested in my PRS-700, because I'll be spoiling myself with an iPad!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Desdeana

thanks for the offer but that doesn't really help me answer the question
Old 01-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I would say that is your choice to make. The big players are Kindle, Sony and Nook. Actually it is hard to say the Nook is a big player since it is so new, and really still has a very small user base. But.... try to find someone that has a Kindle and check it out. You can play with a Sony PRS-600 at Best Buy, or Target or several other retailers. Your friend has a Nook so play with that.... then choose the one that YOU like the best.

Perhaps even buy the PRS-600 from Best Buy or Target, and try it out for a week or so. Both places a pretty easy to return items to if you don't like it. I do not know if Kindle has a return policy like that or not, but also worth looking into....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
Desdeana

Thank you
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdeana View Post
thanks for the offer but that doesn't really help me answer the question
hehehe... Only kidding! Welcome to the forum. We have all been in your shoes at one time or another. Just read and research as much as you can and then decide what YOUR needs are. Good luck!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
cast a little glance towards PocketBooks here as well)))
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Here is a link to our wiki showing the different readers and comparisons. Perhaps that might make it a little easier......

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:49 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I would say that is your choice to make. The big players are Kindle, Sony and Nook.
The nook is only a "player" at all if you are in North America. For most of us, it is an irrelevance . Even Amazon really aren't that big outside North America, because the European eBook market, for example, has standardised on the ePub book format. Sony are by far the biggest player here in Western Europe, with companies like Bookeen, iRex, and Pocketbook also noteworthy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:13 AM   #10
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
I wouldn't get too caught up in what formats a reader can handle. The Calibre ebook management program will convert from or to most of the formats that readers use as long as they aren't DRMed. Having said that, readers that support Adobe Digital Editions files will let you check out library ebooks and purchase from more online book stores. From your post, it sounds like you already have some ADE books. It would take a bit of work for you to get those to play on a Kindle.

The matrix is a great place to start. Many of the readers have their own dedicated forums on MobileRead; they're a good place to go with specific questions. While Sony and Amazon are the big players, there are several others on the market that might meet your needs.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:53 AM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I would recommend PocketBook 301.

I believe you will get large number of suggestions, because the difference between individual brands is not that great. They ALL use exactly the same display. So it is the "little" things that distinguish various models.
Do you need/want the keyboard the Kindle offers? Would you prefer a body made from metal as Sony offers for their 505 model? Or is the most versatile firmware allowing for third-party improvements matter the most? Do you want to read in various languages? Do you want to update the fonts and fine tune the look of your files? PocketBook devices have perhaps the best firmware from tinkerers point of view.

Whatever e-ink device you buy, you will like it.

There are yet another large group of Mobilereaders that prefer to read from backlit LCD screens.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
AZMerf
AZMerf began at the beginning.

Device: nook (Feb 12)
Assuming your in North America, go to Best Buy and play with the Sonys. Find a friend an play with the Kindle. Go to Barnes and Noble and play with the nook. That's the only way you're going to know what your comfortable with. They are all big players so their firmware will be updated regularly and there is less chance any of them will go away. Be confident that anything you buy will be outdated in a couple of years (from a technology only perspective) so don't worry.
AZMerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMerf View Post
They are all big players so their firmware will be updated regularly
I'm not so sure there's a correlation between those two things. When was the last time that Sony issued a firmware update for the PRS-505, 600, or 700?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:25 PM   #14
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The nook is only a "player" at all if you are in North America. For most of us, it is an irrelevance . Even Amazon really aren't that big outside North America, because the European eBook market, for example, has standardised on the ePub book format. Sony are by far the biggest player here in Western Europe, with companies like Bookeen, iRex, and Pocketbook also noteworthy.
Thanks for the education! Here in the US everything is about Kindle. Sony has been making readers for ages, but no one seems to have heard of such a thing until the Kindle. I do find it interesting that the Sony readers are the biggest in Europe, makes sense, but I just was a bit ignorant. And as I said the the OP the Nook is not really a big player, it may be later, but not yet.

Anyway, thanks for enlightening me
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote