Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-07-2009, 04:37 AM   #16
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
Vidicated!!! So why all the discussion that the books are deleted when you reregister them? How did this myth come about?!?!

In any case, this suggestion wasn't a "business plan"...in fact I specifically warn against doing this habitually. But at the same time, if you sell your old kindle and don't include your previously purchased books in the reselling price, then that is simply leaving money on the table. wouldn't u agree?

Mark
There have been intense discussions in my thread "Reselling DRMed ebooks: Legal or not?" https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49848

Amazon's reply on my respective email to them: "According to the Terms of Trade, it is illegal to resell the eBooks. However, you may resell the Reader devices after deleting the eBooks on them."
This might not hold up in court, but it shows the potential problems...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:30 AM   #17
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I assume then, ethically speaking, you would have to smother in their sleep anyone with a kindle attached to that account. Just to be sure they do not download the ebooks.

No one said being ethical would be easy.
Is this the new "Big Brother" feature that Amazon will use? Now that they've promised not to delete content off your Kindle without telling you? Amazon hit squads?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #18
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And Markbot needs to go back to the person he sold the Kindle to, get the books deleted, and give back some of the money he got for them since he's not allowed to sell them.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #19
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I contacted the person who i sold my Kindle too.....she said that even after reregistering under her account, she was able to read all of my old Kindle books.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #20
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
You can license up to six devices per book. The license is tied to the device (PID) not the account. So while you can download those books to your new device, you cannot reclaim the license you put on the device you sold. Remeber that each new device you put it on takes a license even if you delete the book off, so you may not want to put every book you own on every device unless you know you want to read it there. You may find yourself out of licenses if you upgrade or put them on your iPhone, etc.

As for leaving the books on the device you sell, I see no problem with that since you're not subverting the licensing structure that Amazon has provided.

Edit: Just saw Amazon's reply above. Missed that before. So I suppose it's a violation of ToS. Personally, I don't feel ethically obliged to delete them unless Amazon is going to give me a way to free up that license again.

Last edited by Alisa; 08-11-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 07:23 AM   #21
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, you are saying Amazon ties the ebook to the device even though you deregister? i guess when they reregister, amazon looks to see if they have my old book....if it dos it counts it to the 6 licenses. personally, i think this would be too complicated for amazon to do.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #22
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
People on this and other forums have reported that they have called Kindle Support and gotten a Kindle that they sold freed up from their account and licensing limits.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:58 PM   #23
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The issue is that the books are still there available for download. That is the dilemma.
Yeah, that is the issue since you don't have a copy of a physical book you sell but can redownload the books to your new Kindle. And I'd be surprised if Amazon didn't change eventually so that de-registering a kindle formatted the memory to erase all the content on it or something.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:58 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
As for leaving the books on the device you sell, I see no problem with that since you're not subverting the licensing structure that Amazon has provided.
No, you're just breaking the terms of the contract that you've entered into with Amazon. Perhaps you see "no problem" with that, but personally I beg to differ.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #25
markbot
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, you're just breaking the terms of the contract that you've entered into with Amazon. Perhaps you see "no problem" with that, but personally I beg to differ.
why do u care. u don't even have a kindle.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:36 PM   #26
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I wouldn't mind if they were explicit about how the licensing works but they're not. They say you can read a book on up to six devices. That's what I signed on for. They didn't say that you can never change them.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:12 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I wouldn't mind if they were explicit about how the licensing works but they're not. They say you can read a book on up to six devices. That's what I signed on for. They didn't say that you can never change them.
Sorry, Alisa, I don't follow you. You can change your devices. If you get rid of a Kindle, contact Amazon's customer service department and they'll remove it from your device list.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #28
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
They would have to take over the account. There's nothing unethical about it, it's simply against Amazon's terms and conditions. You could sell one and if Amazon found out about that account they could close it, not great value for the buyer..
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote