Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
emerald04
emerald04 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Connecting to Kindle Store Painfully Slow

In the little meter at the bottom, my Kindle always has the maximum bars for wireless service, but when I try to connect to the Kindle store (or internet, etc..) it takes 8-10 times before it connects. It keeps saying "cannot connect, try later" even though it has full bars at the bottom.

Does anyone else have this problem?
emerald04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
No, we are able to connect right away, seems very fast
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
Once or twice, but not on an on-going basis. I wouldn't call the EVDO connection lightning fast (but then I never get more than 3 bars, living out here in the boonies), but it usually works reliably.

The couple times I've got the "Kindle can't connect" message (can't remember the exact message), I've either retried and had it work or waited a half hour or so (I have books to read while I'm waiting!)

Latest Kindle books read: Middlemarch (thanks, Mobileread!) and The Art of Racing in the Rain.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
emerald04
emerald04 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hmmm...well that's interesting b/c I consistently have to keep trying to connect. Eventually I do, but it takes maybe 8 or so times before it does. I wonder if somethings wrong with my Kindle......
emerald04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:46 AM   #5
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
My own Kindle has consistently made me play games with it at home to get a download. The very same unit at work, where we have a cell site for every carrier on the roof, always works first time every time and is lightening fast.

EVDO has several speeds for data mode service so its possible that where you are trying to use the Kindle from is only serviced by one of the older slower data modes.

This could be because the cell hasn't been upgraded or it could be because very local conditions don't allow the newer faster protocols to operate. Sometimes moving as little as 5 feet can mean the difference between slow and fast. Even with max bars, you can just have max bars of slow.

Its also possible for unit orientation to be a big factor. Flat at home doesn't work well at all for me. But stand the unit upright and it generally works. At work it is totally insensitive to orientation (being so close to a cell).
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2008, 07:37 AM   #6
gtrebyari
gtrebyari began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile Hey!!

MY kindle won't work as well..it has full bars and everything and the only thing it can connect to is the kindle store..and NOTHING ELSE..it can't check any books or anything. I'm frustrated I've drove everywhere to find a working hotspot! Any solution guys? You think my kindle is broken? TIA!
gtrebyari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:47 AM   #7
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Dang it! My Sony won't connect to the Kindle Store either and I'm pissed!

[okay, I'll go away now. really sorry you're having troubles. honest.]
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:20 AM   #8
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrebyari View Post
MY kindle won't work as well..it has full bars and everything and the only thing it can connect to is the kindle store..and NOTHING ELSE..it can't check any books or anything. I'm frustrated I've drove everywhere to find a working hotspot! Any solution guys? You think my kindle is broken? TIA!
Run this by us again.

With the wireless turned on, you have more than 3 bars of reception? What is the little signal by the bars?

Then you click on "Go to the Kindle Store" in the Menu, and get connected to the Kindle store? It should say "Hello<whatever you login name is>" in the upper left and have the amazon logo in the upper right, and then show some recommendations and new books and blog posts or whatever you setting is. Can you get that far?
Old 08-31-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald04 View Post
In the little meter at the bottom, my Kindle always has the maximum bars for wireless service, but when I try to connect to the Kindle store (or internet, etc..) it takes 8-10 times before it connects. It keeps saying "cannot connect, try later" even though it has full bars at the bottom.

Does anyone else have this problem?
You need to contact Kindle Support.....Click on "Kindle Support" on your Kindle store page, then click on "Contact Us" on the right hand side..........you have a choice of email or immediate call back (thats the phone tab)
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
gtrebyari

I sometimes do get into the store...but other than that I can't connect to any hyper links within it i.e best sellers..In addition, I registered my kindle on the computer but under settings in my kindle its not registered. I don't understand whats wrong. I also get full bars so I don't understand what the problem would be.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:49 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I sometimes do get into the store...but other than that I can't connect to any hyper links within it i.e best sellers..In addition, I registered my kindle on the computer but under settings in my kindle its not registered. I don't understand whats wrong. I also get full bars so I don't understand what the problem would be.
Again, you must contact Kindle Support for these issues.........they are the only ones who can help you with your problem.

1-866-216-1072
Old 08-31-2008, 05:51 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Dang it! My Sony won't connect to the Kindle Store either and I'm pissed!

[okay, I'll go away now. really sorry you're having troubles. honest.]
I thought that was funny. If people would only understand to go to the source for help...........
Old 08-31-2008, 05:59 PM   #13
gtrebyari

thx.. well I contacted amazon for the 5th time and they finally agreed for a return of my kindle. What I do like about this is that I get to keep my kindle while they send me a new one hehe and then I can swap it out. . I want to go online with the kindle so badly haha.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:04 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
thx.. well I contacted amazon for the 5th time and they finally agreed for a return of my kindle. What I do like about this is that I get to keep my kindle while they send me a new one hehe and then I can swap it out. . I want to go online with the kindle so badly haha.
Good! Amazon has great customer service. A little persistence pays off sometimes.

This is a great site for helping with using your Kindle to the max, but not when there is a problem with your Kindle operating system.

In that case, for the money paid, Amazon needs to make things right. Glad they did so for you.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:33 PM   #15
MoSo
Crankier than average

Quote:
Your wireless is most likely working - it's your Kindle registration that has a problem. You've very recently gotten it, yes?

At this point your best bet is to contact Kindle (not Amazon, but Kindle) service. They are VERY good about getting right back to you.