Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
ktxulo
ktxulo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 non touch
Can´t go into usb dowloader mode to debrick my Kindle

Hello everyone, first of all, sorry for my poor English. Let me explain my problem:

I have a Kindle 4 NT than suddenly gets stuck in the wallpaper screen and doesn't power on. I tried pressing the power button for 30 seconds and it rebooted and began to work OK. Then I powered it off and since then it has never powered on again. I tried several times to press de power button for 30 seconds (even for a minute) but no luck (I charged the Kindle for a couple of days to ensure it's fully charged).

I decided to use the Kubrick's live CD to debrick it but it remains in the step "waiting for device..."
I also tried in Windows (XP and W7 32bits) but the Kindle isn´t recognized and MfgTool doesn't show any devices.

So to sum up, this is the situation:

If I plug the Kindle in the wall charger, the orange LED turns on but it never turns green no matter how many hours I leave it charging.

The kindle not powers on.

I'm not able to get the Kindle into USB donwloader mode. The steps I follow are:
1) Plug the kindle into USB.
2) The orange LED turns on.
3) Press and hold the power button for 10-12 secs, and the orange LED turns off.
4) Then press and hold the DOWN button.
5) Release the power button, and the orange LED turns on again.
6) Release the DOWN button.
7) Nothing happens, the kindle doesn't go into usb downloader mode (Kubrick and Windows not recognize it).

Is there anything else I can do to recover my Kindle?

Thanks in advance.
ktxulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Open Kindle, test the battery (it has probably died of old age).
Replace with new battery.

Note: The above advice is next to impossible to follow on a K4.

The K4 is the one which is glued together with the battery semi-permanently stuck in-place.
Trying to remove it almost always destroys the battery and/or the device.

Our master prefix index (in the K4 section) has (**should have**) a link or links to tearing down the K4.
Check those to see what your up against.

- - - -

#6,000 and it just had to be about a dead battery.
Time to retire (again).

Last edited by knc1; 06-09-2014 at 07:40 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
ktxulo
ktxulo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 non touch
Knc1, thank you very much for your answer. I've managed to open the back cover of my k4 without damaging anything. As you said that removing the battery is very difficult without breaking the device, I've not touched it (I don't have other battery to replace it).

I unplugged the battery cable and took my multimeter to see if the battery gives any voltage. The battery gives near 3.8v, so it seems to be fine...

Any more ideas???
ktxulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktxulo View Post
Knc1, thank you very much for your answer. I've managed to open the back cover of my k4 without damaging anything. As you said that removing the battery is very difficult without breaking the device, I've not touched it (I don't have other battery to replace it).

I unplugged the battery cable and took my multimeter to see if the battery gives any voltage. The battery gives near 3.8v, so it seems to be fine...

Any more ideas???
3.8volts is low - a fully charged battery will read 4.2volts.

BUT:
The terminal voltage does not indicate the storage capacity.
I.E: It could be 4.2volts and have all the storage capacity of a hearing aid battery.

I don't recall if the K4 firmware requires an "Amazon battery" or not (some firmware's don't care).
So I can't say if your Kindle can be run on an external battery for testing or not.

I would re-connect the battery, check that the USB cable and connectors are in good condition, connect to wall charger, wait a few days, and
HOPE
it gets better.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktxulo View Post
Hello everyone, first of all, sorry for my poor English. Let me explain my problem:
I have a Kindle 4 NT than suddenly gets stuck in the wallpaper screen and doesn't power on. I tried pressing the power button for 30 seconds and it rebooted and began to work OK. Then I powered it off and since then it has never powered on again. I tried several times to press de power button for 30 seconds (even for a minute) but no luck (I charged the Kindle for a couple of days to ensure it's fully charged).
I decided to use the Kubrick's live CD to debrick it but it remains in the step "waiting for device..."
I also tried in Windows (XP and W7 32bits) but the Kindle isn´t recognized and MfgTool doesn't show any devices.
So to sum up, this is the situation:
If I plug the Kindle in the wall charger, the orange LED turns on but it never turns green no matter how many hours I leave it charging.
The kindle not powers on.
I'm not able to get the Kindle into USB donwloader mode. The steps I follow are:
1) Plug the kindle into USB.
2) The orange LED turns on.
3) Press and hold the power button for 10-12 secs, and the orange LED turns off.
4) Then press and hold the DOWN button.
5) Release the power button, and the orange LED turns on again.
6) Release the DOWN button.
7) Nothing happens, the kindle doesn't go into usb downloader mode (Kubrick and Windows not recognize it).
Is there anything else I can do to recover my Kindle?
Thanks in advance.
Try 20 seconds
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2020, 09:42 PM   #6
Sonicchild86
Sonicchild86 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 4 NoTouch Silver (K4)
I am also having the same issue, cannot get it to go into USB downloader mode. The kindle itself I only started using on Sunday and then decided I’d try to jailbreak it, which is why it is bricked (I did buy it second hand a long time ago now). I had charged it up the night beforehand (Saturday) and it’s been charging all day Monday since Sunday evening. Interestingly the pc does recognise via windows 10, but it has a ! next to it. Any further suggestions or is it dead? (The screen itself is stuck on the diagnostics screen from the jail breaking software.)
Sonicchild86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:03 AM   #7
greentea
greentea began at the beginning.

Device: none
When running Kubrick, connect your cable to USB 2.0 port - Kubrick cannot operate USB 3.0 port, at least on my laptop. Took me an hour to realize...
greentea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #8
Sonicchild86
Sonicchild86 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 4 NoTouch Silver (K4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentea View Post
When running Kubrick, connect your cable to USB 2.0 port - Kubrick cannot operate USB 3.0 port, at least on my laptop. Took me an hour to realize...
Given that a go, still no joy though 😕 any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Ellie
Sonicchild86 is offline   Reply With Quote