Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #61
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post
I do have a couple of Poirot books but never read them. Had the impression that 'they've had their time' and people don't really read them anymore.
Burn the heretic!

Quote:
Might start one soon.
Okay, we'll hold off on the barbeque for now.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I do have a couple of Poirot books but never read them. Had the impression that 'they've had their time' and people don't really read them anymore.
What a strange thing to think. The "classics" of British crime fiction: Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers, Ngaio Marsh, Margery Allingham, Ruth Rendell, P.D. James, etc. (all women writers - I've often wondered why that is?) - all still sell extremely well. It's my favourite reading genre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #63
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Might start one soon.
They are certainly of their time - or a little before it. But they are still good stories, and Poirot is an amusing characters. His occasional side-kick, Captain Hastings is good, too.

Providing it's not "The Big Four", dig out your Poirot book and read it.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #64
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
They are certainly of their time - or a little before it. But they are still good stories, and Poirot is an amusing characters. His occasional side-kick, Captain Hastings is good, too.

Providing it's not "The Big Four", dig out your Poirot book and read it.
What does the "Big Four" consist of?
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:43 AM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What does the "Big Four" consist of?
It's the name of an early Hercule Poirot book, which Paul doesn't like . It's basically 4 stories linked by a rather ridiculous linking device. It certainly isn't one of her better books.
Advert
Old 06-27-2012, 05:12 AM   #66
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's the name of an early Hercule Poirot book, which Paul doesn't like . It's basically 4 stories linked by a rather ridiculous linking device. It certainly isn't one of her better books.
Ah! Thought it was the name of the four 'big' Poirot books.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:33 AM   #67
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Is Cat Among the Pigeons good? I recently grabbed a couple of Christie hardcovers from my parents and this was one of them. The title is familiar (so was probably a movie), and I was thinking of reading it at some stage.

Worth it?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #68
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I started to read The Secret of Chimneys last night. It is one of five "Superintendent Battle" novels, this debut published in 1925. Other titles in the series: The Seven Dials Mystery (1929), Cards on the Table (1936 where Battle is alongside Poirot), Murder is Easy (1939) and Towards Zero (1944).

Again, ebook users with access to Overdrive public library services may have many Christie titles available to them from their local library. That is definitely the case in Toronto.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #69
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Is Cat Among the Pigeons good? I recently grabbed a couple of Christie hardcovers from my parents and this was one of them. The title is familiar (so was probably a movie), and I was thinking of reading it at some stage.

Worth it?
It's her 60th UK book, published in 1959, and has Hercule Poirot as the detective.

I've only read the first 40, so I haven't got to this one yet, but I suspect it'll be excellent.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #70
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I plan to systematically re-read all AC's books, in publication order, once I've finished Ngaio Marsh, so I'll let you know if my view of it have changed when I re-read it. It was many years ago that I read it - perhaps my view will change on a re-read.
I personally prefer Ngaio Marsh to Agatha Christie (ducking - sorry, but if we all love the same author, there'll only be one successful author, right?). Are Marsh's books available in ebook?
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:17 AM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, all of Ngaio Marsh's books are available as ebooks (in the UK at least).
Old 06-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #72
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
Deleted entire message - I was told that the site I'd found was a pirate site and I do not want to support or imply support or encourage pirates.

My apologies to all.

Last edited by rleguillow; 06-29-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Links to pirate site deleted.
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #73
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleguillow View Post
With that info in hand, I went searching and found Marsh's books for 16.50 for 33 books, DRM-free, all of the Alleyn novels and some short stories, at

[Commercial Pirate sites deleted]
That can't be legit surely? $20 for all the Poirot books and $6 for all the Miss Marple ones?

Andrew

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-29-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Links to pirate site deleted.
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #74
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleguillow View Post
With that info in hand, I went searching and found Marsh's books for 16.50 for 33 books, DRM-free, all of the Alleyn novels and some short stories, at
[Commercial Pirate sites deleted]

Wow! Those are really great deals. Have you ever purchased from that company? Anyone else have any experience with them?

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-29-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Links to pirate site deleted.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #75
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
That can't be legit surely? $20 for all the Poirot books and $6 for all the Miss Marple ones?

Andrew
Yes, that's a commercial pirate site. They do not have permission to sell the books, they are ripping people off.

Usually, if a deal looks to good to be true, it is.

Don't be fooled by such sites into thinking that just because you've paid money for the ebooks that you aren't pirating the books. You're just paying some crooks for the privilege of pirating them.

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-29-2012 at 03:01 PM.