Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #46
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
SCION, I don't own a NOOKcolor, but I read the B&N forum here regularly to keep myself updated on the rooting process. I've seen how helpful you have been to the other MR members who post in earnest about their experiences with the NOOKcolor, and I've been quite impressed with the knowledgeable help you've been able to offer, but also with your even and calm disposition, as seemingly reflected in your posts.

I do understand that, patient as you seem to be, it is very difficult to have the patience of Job. So might I make the suggestion to just ignore those who seem to be able to dish them out and not be able to take them, especially when their fingers become itchy due to thin skin?

As for the reprimand, I am not so sure that was meant for you specifically, but to all in general. Someone hit the report button, so a mod had to reply. Besides, the mod in the rainbow helicopter cap seems like a pretty nice guy to me.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #47
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickYerJunk View Post
I was hesitant to root my replacement because of this, but this puts my mind at ease a little more
I also am hesitant with my new NC that I hope will arrive today (or at least by tomorrow). Having something basically wrong with the first NC before rooting, I think I'll just read on mine for a few weeks to make sure it is stable before rooting it.

Edit: I have a NookColor again.

Last edited by slayda; 01-06-2011 at 08:42 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #48
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
un-rooting is a 2 step process; but I think the 2 steps you did were really 2 different ways of doing the same thing; so you missed one step

The first time I "un-rooted" I missed the step too, and it was wierd that everything wasn't gone. I was surprised to see my wallpaper still there!

Once I saw that 2nd step - it was fine ... and there was NO trace that I had rooted at that point - at least no trace that anyone at a B&N store could have noticed. You would have to root the device to tell that it had been rooted.

Anyways, as long as you do the 2 step process in the correct order, you don't have to worry ...

Quote:
Yes....I used the "power button + volume button + N button" method of resetting followed by an "Erase and unregister" , but those things still remained.

In fact, when I took it back the Nook rep at B&N called tech support and they had him reset it and he couldn't get it to work because he didn't know how (he wasn't holding all three buttons).

I didn't know about the 8-count reboot method that SCION mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm wondering now if that would have cleared everything off. I'm assuming it would since it "re-images" the /system partition.

I was hesitant to root my replacement because of this, but this puts my mind at ease a little more
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #49
KickYerJunk
KickYerJunk began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
un-rooting is a 2 step process; but I think the 2 steps you did were really 2 different ways of doing the same thing; so you missed one step

The first time I "un-rooted" I missed the step too, and it was wierd that everything wasn't gone. I was surprised to see my wallpaper still there!

Once I saw that 2nd step - it was fine ... and there was NO trace that I had rooted at that point - at least no trace that anyone at a B&N store could have noticed. You would have to root the device to tell that it had been rooted.

Anyways, as long as you do the 2 step process in the correct order, you don't have to worry ...
I think you are absolutely correct. Based on what I've continued to read on the nookdev forums I did the same thing 2 different ways and skipped the first step. Thanks for the feedback.
KickYerJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #50
ShadowDragon
Enthusiast
ShadowDragon has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanscraft View Post
So, I was following the instructions precisely for rooting this from NookDev on Windows when I got to the steps:
Tap the white Nav Arrow > settings > Wireless & verify that you are connected to WiFi
(The Nav arrow is the white up arrow in the middle of the notifications bar at the bottom of your screen.)
When prompted for the Home app, you're given the options of Home or Softkeys. Pick Softkeys or your Menu button won't work in Youtube.
Tap the Nav Arrow > extras > Youtube & accept the ToS
First, it would not let me hit the white Nav arrow, but went straight to the Home app. I choose Softkeys. It then would not let me hit the nav bottom. A new round button with an arrow appeared on the left side of the screen. I clicked that which brought up a set of buttons with 4-5 options. The buttons did not work or a sign popped up that said, "unable to execute as root."

I tried to hit a few more buttons before cutting it off. I put the card back in and started over again. Nothing. It won't even power on unless I plug into into the desktop (with and without the SD card). When it powers on, it just goes to the "n" logo and won't go any further.

Now what?

I the same issue and no unrooting was required for me to get past it. The instructions were not clear in this area.

When given the choice to use home screen or softkeys, it did not automatically take you to the screen where softkeys was asking for superuser access. Nothing basically works at this point.

What I did was this:
  • I had to reboot first of all because when I tapped the little floating arrow I was giving an error about not having root access.
  • Once I tapped tapped the little floating arrow (looks like a return arrow) which brought up a small grey 5 button menu. Tap the left most icon, again looks like a drawn out return error. This took me to the screen where softkeys was asking for supervisor access. Once done, I had no more issues with any of the buttons.
  • Once the above is done you can push the Nav button and get access to settings to check your wifi connection, and continue with the rest of the instructions.

This info may not help you now, but hopefully it will help someone else who is about to try rooting his NC and comes across this issue.

Last edited by ShadowDragon; 01-09-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Just fixing my poor spelling :) I'm still tramatized by my grade 2 spelling bees.
ShadowDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #51
Gdzhlpr
Connoisseur
Gdzhlpr began at the beginning.

Quote:
Yes....I used the "power button + volume button + N button" method of resetting followed by an "Erase and unregister" , but those things still remained.

In fact, when I took it back the Nook rep at B&N called tech support and they had him reset it and he couldn't get it to work because he didn't know how (he wasn't holding all three buttons).

I didn't know about the 8-count reboot method that SCION mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm wondering now if that would have cleared everything off. I'm assuming it would since it "re-images" the /system partition.

I had the same issue this all last night and this morning on my rooted nook. factory reset would not take off the items you mentioned. I happend upon this forum and completed the 8 unboots then every step with no shortcuts and it worked. p.s. I also downloaded the new update because I read somewhere the update causes you to lose the root and reverts your Nook back to factory and you have to re-root. Well Success! I did learn quite a bit aboiut the root program and the different nuances to actaully login to my google account but with determination I now have an updated rooted Nook.

Now I have to find what I did to disable my books from calibre into the main library. Previously my books were listed in the library not my files only. now it is back to in my files and the covers are showing as seperate files. It may have something to do with the card too. previously I loaded directly to the nook now they are getting loaded to the card by calibre.

Thanks to all of those who post findings and links to these forums.
Gdzhlpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:04 AM   #52
Gdzhlpr
Connoisseur

rather than edit my last post, I am adding this one to say I'm pretty sure I have rooted My Nook for GOOD! I found these instructions from the dev site
http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting#ixzz16p5eWY22
My issue was WAITING for the reboot on the 1.01 system. Very important!

The root never took correctly because the instructions I originally followed with the screen shots from here http://blogkindle.com/2010/12/read-k...on-nook-color/ did not say the process is not complete until the system completes the boot up process. The first link above actually gave the proper steps to follow to set up the keys ect. I was guessing at what to do before I googled and found the proper setup instructions. This was a very good learning process, hence make sure the instructions you are following are concise and complete. I'm sure the correct link is probably in these forum on how to root your nook, I just did not happen to stumble upon them.

It is my tendency to Just Do it. I had great help after the fact but the kind folks helping had no idea I had not properly rooted my nook. Thank you for your patience and good luck to anyone wishing to root. Once I followed the correct process it went very quickly.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #53
levytator
levytator began at the beginning.

Did I brick my NC during AutoNooter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdzhlpr View Post
rather than edit my last post, I am adding this one to say I'm pretty sure I have rooted My Nook for GOOD! I found these instructions from the dev site
http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting#ixzz16p5eWY22
My issue was WAITING for the reboot on the 1.01 system. Very important!

The root never took correctly because the instructions I originally followed with the screen shots from here http://blogkindle.com/2010/12/read-k...on-nook-color/ did not say the process is not complete until the system completes the boot up process. The first link above actually gave the proper steps to follow to set up the keys ect. I was guessing at what to do before I googled and found the proper setup instructions. This was a very good learning process, hence make sure the instructions you are following are concise and complete. I'm sure the correct link is probably in these forum on how to root your nook, I just did not happen to stumble upon them.

It is my tendency to Just Do it. I had great help after the fact but the kind folks helping had no idea I had not properly rooted my nook. Thank you for your patience and good luck to anyone wishing to root. Once I followed the correct process it went very quickly.
I may have done the same thing (not wait for reboot long enough). After waiting 30 minutes, I figured something went wrong, so I unplugged from computer, tried to turn on... nothing happens. Took out the sD card, try to turn on... nothing. Device appears dead. I plugged the usb cord back into computer and get the device popup, but still nothing on the NC. Is it dead? Or is there still hope?
levytator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:00 AM   #54
Gdzhlpr
Connoisseur

A friend dared me to not open my laptop and work tonight so im on my book just had to respond when i saw ur email. Sorry ur having issues.

It really sounds like u may need to charge ur book (hd corrected)

If u r fully charged u s/b able to do the 8 reset magic trick. My easy version is hold down the power button to a count of 15 /,8times do not allow to boot up. It will erase all of the odd files and the update. Confirm then sideload the book update and start over. Let me know if u need additional help. Il go open my sons laptop.

p
Quote:
Originally Posted by levytator View Post
I may have done the same thing (not wait for reboot long enough). After waiting 30 minutes, I figured something went wrong, so I unplugged from computer, tried to turn on... nothing happens. Took out the sD card, try to turn on... nothing. Device appears dead. I plugged the usb cord back into computer and get the device popup, but still nothing on the NC. Is it dead? Or is there still hope?
Old 01-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #55
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levytator View Post
Have you tried holding the Power button down for about 20 seconds. This should force a restart. This may not work if the nook has been in this state for a long time as the battery may have died. In that case, try and charge and try this trick of holding the power button w/ the Nook on the charger.

THERE IS HOPE! I have yet to see a truly bricked Nook
Old 06-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #56
echo.logic
echo.logic began at the beginning.

Hello! I am a new user here at mobileread and this forum seems to be precisely what I need.
I am on nook color #2 for me (I easily rooted and had cm7 running on number one, but the power button wasn't seated correctly and would shut the screen off randomly, so I returned it to stock using cw 0.7 and complete restore 1.01)
Nook #2 I just received and is a SN 2010...
I rooted using manual rooter 4.5.6. It rooted fine and I continued to try and install cm7.
It seemed to install fine, but during boot took me to the dreaded nook color falsh screen with android dev in the bottom right corner.
I have attempted the 8 interrupted boot many, many times to no success whatsoever.
I turn it on (holding the power button for a few seconds, I read somewhere to 'tap' the button but this will not boot the device up) when the device boots I hold the power button 15 seconds - sometimes it turns off, but sometimes the loading appears than it turns off - occiasionally it takes me into cmr. after doing this for hours I've come to the realization that I am either terribly hamfisted or doing something wrong.
So this is where I may have made the bad decision.
Since I could access cmr, I decided to load the Recovery image of fw 1.01 thinking that the new firmware was my issue.
Now when it boots it gives me the 'touch the future of reading' (in lieu of 'read forever' of 1.2) then gives me the 'n' screen, followed by the 'n' color (flashing) with the nook color devs icon in the bottom right. I still cannot perform the 8 interrupted boots.
I don't have adb installed (I've tried to install it on my computer, but useless since I cant get onto the nook.)
I seem to be at a complete standstill and I've taken a day away from it to cool my jets and let the frustration drain a bit. Is there anything I can do?
Thank you all so much, this forum seems to be full of very helpful and thoughtful individuals - not that other forums don't, but I appreciate the level of friendliness and helpfulness here.
This thread I am posting to is nearly 5 months without a post so I am going to post it to a new thread as well, I hope this isn't bad form (first post and all)
Thanks again!!
*edit 1* I will not be posting this to other threads
*edit 2*
so I figured out my issue with the 8 interrupted boots - turns out it works way better to turn off the device after the 'touch the future of reading' screen finishes
I usually am much better at following directions - seriously.
In the morning I will be attempting to root and install cm7, any advice on how to do so with fw 1.2 would gladly be appreciated.
Thanks, sorry for my own stupidity.

Last edited by echo.logic; 06-06-2011 at 01:05 AM.
echo.logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #57
jasoraso
Addict

If you are planning on REPLACING the B&N software with cm7, then I don't think you even need to worry about rooting. Look for one of the installers that boots off the SD card into Clockwork Recovery, and you should be able to install cm7 to the internal memory that way.

One thing to watch out for - does your new NC have the new partitioning on the internal memory? I haven't stayed up on that issue, but I think you will need to re-partition the internal memory if you have the new stock paritition configuration.