Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #46
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
On nookcolor it is not necessary, it will show the cover from the epub itself.
That's what I was hoping. This is what I'm used to on the Sony.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #47
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
I was a little curious about the Nook color, but now that I don't think I'd ever be interested in it, even if it came to Canada. For one thing in the video on the first link, the refection if horrendous.

Thanks for the links, it's answered a the few questions I had about this Nook.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #48
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
This thing is amazing.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #49
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Another review:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40257337...h_and_gadgets/

Reviewers take in a nutshell: If you can afford a nook color and ebooks you can afford an iPad. Buy the iPad. If you can't afford an iPad then how are you going to afford all those ebooks?

Ignorant!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #50
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
Anti-glare film will take a care of a lot of the reflections, at the cost of some grain and maybe contrast loss (depending on the quality of protector itself). I understand with capacitative touch you need a piece of glass or some other insulator on the surface, which is where the reflections come from (don't know about the new Sony readers).

I'm honestly just in love with the machine's style as much as I'm in love with the functionality. Though having a A8 inside doesn't hurt either .
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 12:38 AM   #51
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I checked it out at the store today, the person wasn't very knowledgeable about it, but I didn't expect him to be.

It looked like it could be a really really nice device...I'm torn right now between getting rid of my Nook and getting this, or just sticking with the Nook and using my Phone as the "color" reader. I have a hard time with LCD screens, but this device might force me to "deal with it"
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:25 AM   #52
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I also checked one out at the store yesterday. I really liked it. The reading app behaves more like a phone's app than the e-Ink firmware. That's a good thing, for me, as I read for 7 years on my PDAs and phones.

One of the two reps had already spent some time with it and could answer most of my questions.

I was impressed with what I was able to test (making bookshelves, reading ePubs, the NOOKkids books, magazines). I forgot to test newspapers and they didn't have a PDF on it to test. The things I plan to test when I get mine:

PDFs - both magazines and e-books
children's picture books that are NOT NOOKkids (NYPL is adding a lot of children's picture books)
how it handles side-loaded content, especially Overdrive books
what kinds of folder structure it allows
night mode
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #53
Reeses
Reeses is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Another review:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40257337...h_and_gadgets/

Reviewers take in a nutshell: If you can afford a nook color and ebooks you can afford an iPad. Buy the iPad. If you can't afford an iPad then how are you going to afford all those ebooks?

Ignorant!
I agree...so tired of these reviews "It's LCD, it's 7 inches...it's an iPad wannabee" ugh. It's a color ereader that doesn't claim to be a tablet. If I wanted an Ipad (and I don't), I would buy one. This thing satisfies my need to read things in color with a few extra gadget...ugh!
Reeses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #54
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeses View Post
I agree...so tired of these reviews "It's LCD, it's 7 inches...it's an iPad wannabee" ugh. It's a color ereader that doesn't claim to be a tablet. If I wanted an Ipad (and I don't), I would buy one. This thing satisfies my need to read things in color with a few extra gadget...ugh!

Yup, I'll go farther and say “I’m so tired of these Apple fanboy naysayers who are passing themselves off as legitimate reviews saying I should buy an iPad.”

That being said, I’ll look closer at the NC when the guys at XDA-Developers have and alternative OS to the NC’s crippled one.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:48 PM   #55
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
What I would love to see is user reviews and pictures. I am really intrigued, but debating if it is worth it. Though if there was a comic app, I be sold already
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #56
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
That being said, I’ll look closer at the NC when the guys at XDA-Developers have and alternative OS to the NC’s crippled one.
Based on the review of the XDA developers, the NC screen is even better than the Galaxy Tab while web browsing response is on par. They think by hacking this baby, with a price tag of $250, it will easily become the “Tablet of the Year”. With that being said, the hackability of NC is still to be worked out. Out of curiosity, I looked at the Bills of materials of the Galaxy Tab from iSupply and it costs $205 for just materials. Comparing NC and Galaxy Tab features and specifications, I estimated the cost for the NC as below:

item description....................................... ...Galaxy Tab...Nook Color
Screen (comparable IPS)..............................$57............. $57
Memory (Galaxy 16GB/1GB, NC 8GB/512MB).....$51............$25.5
Mechanical Components (similar)....................$15.22.......$15.22
User Interface (Similar control, NC no Gyro)..... $13.87.......$10.00
Battery (similar 4000mAh)............................. $10.6.........$10.60
RF/PA (NC WiFi only, no 3G).......................... $9.09.........$5.00
APS Processing (Galaxy 1 GHz, NC 800 MHz)..... $8.84.........$6.00
Blue Tooth/GPS (NC none)............................ $8.96..........$0.00
Camera (NC none)....................................... $7.95..........$0.00
Accessories (Similar charge, adaptor, cord)...... $7.11......... $7.11
Power Management IC (similar).......................$5.51......... $5.51
TOTAL MATERIAL COST:............................... $205.22..... .$152.1

The material cost doesn’t include manufacturing, inventory and other overhead attached to produce the device. Galaxy Tab 3G is selling for $600 and WiFi for $500; the Price to material cost ratio is ~ 2.92. The Nook Color is priced at $250 with a much lower price to material cost ratio of $1.64. The device is a huge bang for the buck based on the hardware. If the NC comes unlocked with full capability, at this price point, it’ll blow all the tablets including the Galaxy Tab away. Barnes and Noble is selling the hardware at an extremely low profit margin with the intent of selling more emagazines, periodicals and other e-content. With that in mind, they might try very hard to lock down the device so it can’t be easily hacked. They certainly don't want the competitor app such the kindle to be installted in their darling device. It’ll be very interesting to see what the XDA developers and the Nookdev community can do.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #57
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Thanks Rebo, karma to you.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:17 AM   #58
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
We just back from shopping out of town and got a chance to go to Barnes & Noble. They had the NookColor on display. My husband played with it quite a bit (I think he wants one!) I thought it was impressive for the size, being much more portable than an iPad. It says that it views well in sunlight too. Is that really true? I'm a tad bit skeptical. I didn't find the touchscreen as responsive as my Sony. I don't know if it comes with a stylus, but the display didn't have one, which is typical. I would love to be able to get one for my husband! He was like a kid, he seemed so excited about all that it could do. I wouldn't be surprised if he was on his computer right now researching it! His birthday is coming up, I'll have to see if I can manage it financially.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:57 PM   #59
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Based on all the reviews I've read, it really does look like B& N has hit a home run with the Color. The only negative reviews have come from Apple fan boys who condemn the Nookcolor as a "crippled Ipad" and Android fanboys who prefer to root, hack and otherwise fiddle with their devices rather than actually use them for their stated purpose.
From what I've read, it seems the NC is very much a device that's fit for purpose-and that's all anyone should require.

Going downtown now for a hands on:-).
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #60
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I'm very impressed with reading on the nookcolor. It takes only a very small swipe on the edge to turn pages so you don't have to swipe across the whole screen and the page turning is very responsive. I'm really not having issues with reflections on the screen, but I was also used to reading on an iPod Touch. Screen is pretty nice to look at and I like that we can create custom bookshelves to keep large libraries easier to manage. Overall I'm very happy with it.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote