Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #15001
LucyLu
Bookaholic
LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, PocketBook Touch
Finished "Confessions of a Prairie Bitch - How I survived Nellie Oleson and learned to love being hated" By Alison Arngrim.

A funny, touching and sometimes heartbreaking narration about Arngrim childhood, growing up in Hollywood with her eccentric parents, her struggle to survive a history of traumatic abuse, depression, and paralyzing shyness.
LucyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #15002
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

To cleanse the palate, I will next read My Man Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse.
Very nice. I especially enjoyed the British slang of the time. Words like chappie, rummy and top-hole.

Next I read one of my latest purchases from BoB UK ($1.48). It's book 4 of 5 in the Escape From Furnace series by British author Alexander Gordon Smith called Fugitives. A YA sci-fi-ish book about children in prison. Somewhat shocking and lots of action. Heartbreaking sadness mixed in. Rated C+ [3 stars]. A few plot holes keep me from rating it higher. I'll finish the series sometime later.

Currently reading Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers. My first with this author but on my TBR list for awhile so when Kobo had Sayers' titles on sale for $2.02 I grabbed two.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #15003
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Currently reading Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers. My first with this author but on my TBR list for awhile so when Kobo had Sayers' titles on sale for $2.02 I grabbed two.
Oooh, you have a treat in front of you. All the Sayers are classics, and Lord Peter is perfect. Strong Poison isn't, by any means, my favourite, but still quite enjoyable.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:37 AM   #15004
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Oooh, you have a treat in front of you. All the Sayers are classics, and Lord Peter is perfect. Strong Poison isn't, by any means, my favourite, but still quite enjoyable.

Looking forward to it

The other title I picked up is Murder Must Advertise.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #15005
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would recommend reading the "Lord Peter Wimsey" books in order, if you can. There's a great deal of ongoing character development as the series progresses which you'll miss otherwise.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:25 AM   #15006
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"The Secret of Annexe 3", by Colin Dexter.

The 7th book in the Inspector Morse series. After a New Year celebration in an Oxford hotel, a man is found murdered in his room in the hotel's annexe (hence the title!). An intriguing and complex investigation follows for Morse and Lewis.

Thoroughly enjoyed this one. A seasonal read for the time of year and, as with all the Morse books, an excellent story. One point of interest is that this was the first Morse book to be written after the series started to be televised, and Morse and Lewis have now changed into their "TV" versions. Eg in the earlier books, Lewis is older than Morse; he's now younger! Another point of interest is that this is the third out of the seven books in the series I've so far read in which (no spoilers) the killer is not arrested at the end of the book.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:41 AM   #15007
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I finished Second Foundation by Isaac Asimov last night, the final book of the original Foundation Trilogy. I liked the second half more than the first, and overall, I think I preferred this book to its predecessor, but thought Foundation was the best of the three.

I still don't quite understand why people like them so much. They have an important trailblazing role in the genre, but the quality is just not there. It's a bit like saying Train Arriving at a Station is one of the best movies of all time. (Okay, maybe that's harsh. A better comparison might be a classic silent movie, let's say Modern Times or Metropolis, and while they certainly have their advocates, most people won't get too much out of them now.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:47 AM   #15008
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I have not re-read them in ages so it may be that they don't stand up. Maybe it's a trick of the tail (um....er....memory). Maybe I should consider re-reading them. ...

Thanks!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #15009
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
Yes, your post comes up on page 1000
And now it's back on page 999. Someone must have deleted posts just to foil my plan!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #15010
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And now it's back on page 999. Someone must have deleted posts just to foil my plan!
Oh, that means now MY post is the first on page 1000

Currently reading a German book. Die Elefanten meines Bruders ("My brother's elephants") about a young boy with ADS. Not sure if I like it yet.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #15011
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I finished Second Foundation by Isaac Asimov last night, the final book of the original Foundation Trilogy. I liked the second half more than the first, and overall, I think I preferred this book to its predecessor, but thought Foundation was the best of the three.

I still don't quite understand why people like them so much. They have an important trailblazing role in the genre, but the quality is just not there. It's a bit like saying Train Arriving at a Station is one of the best movies of all time. (Okay, maybe that's harsh. A better comparison might be a classic silent movie, let's say Modern Times or Metropolis, and while they certainly have their advocates, most people won't get too much out of them now.)
I think your last statement pretty much sums it up. When I first read the trilogy (and that's all there were then,) I couldn't put them down and read all three in a row. Having re-read them many years later, I enjoy them more as the wonderful introduction to the genre that they were for me, rather than great works of Sci-fi. But only because our tastes have evolved. Rather like downloading an episode of "Paladin" or "Sgt. Bilko," being so excited to have them, then watching and wondering what it was that made them such long running hits back in the day. Today they were 'fun,' but not raising enough interest in downloading any more episodes.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #15012
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I have not re-read them in ages so it may be that they don't stand up. Maybe it's a trick of the tail (um....er....memory). Maybe I should consider re-reading them. ...

Thanks!
I found they just didn't stand the test of time. I'm older,and the genre is older. Interesting for the historical value, however.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #15013
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
^^^
Such fickle fans. Let a mere 70 years go past and they abandon you like yesterday's socks.

Seriously though, all science fiction is a bit like that. Some stands up better than others, of course, I still like most of my Asimov collection, but much of my Clarke collection gathers dust, mostly it's the short stories that still seem to work. Jules Verne remains an amusing curiosity, but not what he must have been, though H.G. Wells continues to enthrall ... isn't that curious.

But I do think that with most of them, if you sit down with it in the right frame of mind, you can still capture some of the magic that was.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #15014
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Probably my last completed book of 2012, the classic "Childhood's End", by Arthur C. Clarke.

Mankind had been racing towards nuclear destruction when the giant ships of the Overlords appeared in the sky and imposed peace upon the world. But what was the Overlords' purpose in coming to Earth. The truth was stranger than anyone could have imagined...

A true SF classic. Read it if you haven't already done so.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #15015
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I just finished my final book of 2012 Curfew/Crybbe by Phil Rickman. I liked the idea of the story, but the execution and ending left much to desire. First of all it was too slow and too long, the ending alone took over 200 pages to come to it's completion. It also took a long time before it was clear what was happening in the book, it could have easily been 200 pages shorter without losing anything important to the story.

I also disliked the ending because after all that happened several bad guys escape and the two "heroes" just shrug their shoulders and tell each other "what can we do, they didn't do anything illegal".

Up next: Kisscut by Karin Slaughter. Not a very long book but with my new Kindle arriving tomorrow (if I believe the status page of UPS) I, hopefully, will spend a while setting it up and getting used to it.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote