Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #31
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I would add you may use more than up to 10 standby screen pictures.

I have more than 50 of them. Thanks to Booxstor for his very nice collection.

If you want more than 10, just continue numbering screen_saver10.png, screen_saver11.png, ... I guess, it should be OK till 99, maybe 100 and more will also work...

There is also script to dynamically change startup screen, but I haven't managed to download it and test it.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #32
ExH
E x H
ExH began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Hmm, I have my suspend time set to 20 minutes and the shutdown time disabled (both using OTFM), and I still sporadically experience the turn-on bug. Perhaps I'll just disable both and see if that works.

As far as power consumption goes, I'd think that standby mode uses less power than fully on because the circuitry to detect the pen would be off.

@Mono -- Thanks for the tip about the screen images. I had thought that only a max of 10 were supported.
ExH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #33
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Even Booxstor thinks it is only 10 screen images...
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #34
frank0734
frank0734 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92 White Pearl
I just found that there is a new firmware from the Polish ArtaTech (onyx-boox.com):

https://www.onyx-boox.com/onyx-boox-...x-m92-firmware

Successfully updated my M92 white pearl!
frank0734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:48 AM   #35
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
thanks frank0734.

i saw that too. but i thought it had to be the "black pearl" for the firmware to apply. that's why i didn't mention it. so it works with the "white pearl"? that site sure wasn't clear. it also said that on the aluminum sticker on the warranty card, "black pearl" would be on the label. clearly, there was no reference to any type of pearl, black or white. but on the back of the box, above the upc code, i just saw that it says "white pearl".

did the firmware installation wipe out everything? i've already installed the otfm file manager and some of my standby screen images. just want to know if i have to do it again.

UPDATE: i went ahead and did the install. it did wipe out the otfm file manager, so i installed it again. however, one thing that did not work quite right with this firmware has to do with coolreader. i had this as my default epub app. when i tried to open the o'reilly book on php i was in the middle of, it just crashed (wheel spinning, then nothing happens). switching to the fbreader worked. but cool reader did not crash when i opened a couple of other books. i think it has to do with css. i tried to change the font on the o'reilly book with fbreader and it did not change. so i think there's some directive forcing the o'reilly book to use only a certain font. fbreader honors this directive whereas coolreader will try to fulfill the user's wish? the previous version of coolreader was able to override it. but not this version. for the other two books i tried to open with success, when i changed the font, it changed accordingly. so it looks like these two books did not have a hard font directive.

Last edited by rem736; 03-30-2013 at 02:27 AM.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2013, 04:26 AM   #36
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0734 View Post
I just found that there is a new firmware from the Polish ArtaTech (onyx-boox.com):

https://www.onyx-boox.com/onyx-boox-...x-m92-firmware

Successfully updated my M92 white pearl!
I have 1.8 20121224 on my artatech black pearl.
Could you state some differences?
If i try to unzip it "just for watching" it asks me a password for bin/grep

thx
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #37
frank0734
frank0734 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92 White Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post

thx
I do not see great improvements. I haven't kicked around too much, though. The firmware is locked so you cannot view the contents.
frank0734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:02 PM   #38
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post

thx
you don't need to unzip it to install it. just place it in the root directory of a sd card and follow these instructions, which can be found on the same site where the firmware can be downloaded:

1. Download the firmware in zip format and copy it to an empty SD card (No need to unzip the firmware, the name of the firmware should be update-2012xxxx.zip)
2. Turn the device off
3. Insert SD card. Press joystick button and hold it, then press power button.
4. When it shows ”Software update request detected, checking updates...” at the bottom of the screen, release joystick button

i don't know what the changes are yet. but i know that coolreader now doesn't perform as well with epubs. so don't use the new firmware if you rely heavily on coolreader for epubs.

Last edited by rem736; 03-31-2013 at 11:08 PM.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:52 AM   #39
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
you don't need to unzip it to install it. just place it in the root directory of a sd card and follow these instructions, which can be found on the same site where the firmware can be downloaded:

1. Download the firmware in zip format and copy it to an empty SD card (No need to unzip the firmware, the name of the firmware should be update-2012xxxx.zip)
2. Turn the device off
3. Insert SD card. Press joystick button and hold it, then press power button.
4. When it shows ”Software update request detected, checking updates...” at the bottom of the screen, release joystick button

i don't know what the changes are yet. but i know that coolreader now doesn't perform as well with epubs. so don't use the new firmware if you rely heavily on coolreader for epubs.
Thank you so much.
I saw the instructions but i was thinking to maybe found a readme inside...with the diff.
So far i'm opening both pdf and epub with pdfreader (and i have no idea what is using for cbr/cbz but the support there is much more rough).
I think i will write to arta tech asking.
It's pretentious putting a firmware without prospecting the benefits in term of bugfix and added features.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote