Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
climbingrose
climbingrose began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Paperwhite "Repair Needed"

Hi all,

I've got my Paperwhite with Special Offers today. I was stupidly trying to disable ads on it by create .assets file within /system folder. When I restarted the Kindle, it booted up with "Repair Needed" screen. I think I need to remove /system/.assets file and then do "echo 0 > /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui. My question is:

1) Is it possible to mount the Kindle as USB storage before "Repair Needed" message is displayed?
2) Can I modify the content of lab126_gui in USB storage mode?

Thanks.
climbingrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
LOL thats what ya get for trying to steal.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
I'm a newb here (more or less) so I'm not positive, but I think you'll get more help with hack stuff over here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=150
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Just a $ 20 fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbingrose View Post
Hi all,

I've got my Paperwhite with Special Offers today. I was stupidly trying to disable ads on it by create .assets file within /system folder. When I restarted the Kindle, it booted up with "Repair Needed" screen. I think I need to remove /system/.assets file and then do "echo 0 > /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui. My question is:

1) Is it possible to mount the Kindle as USB storage before "Repair Needed" message is displayed?

Thanks.
For just $ 20 you could have just removed the Special Offers at the "Manage Your Device" site at Amazon.

The labor hours you are now investing are probably worth far more than $ 20 and may not work in the end anyway.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
climbingrose

Lesson learned .
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
climbingrose

It's also because I was thinking it's cool to hack my Kindle and disable ads .
Old 10-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Yeah, but, it's not really fair towards Amazon who are only able to provide the device to you for the low price because of these offers. Just saying...
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
And all you needed to do was click the unsubscribe button and pay $20.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbingrose View Post
Hi all,

Thanks.
Maybe if you post in the Kindle Developer's Corner, the gurus can help you reverse whatever you've done. Then maybe you'll consider paying the $20 to remove the ads. Good luck!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You can boot to diags with MfgTool, and you can export the USB drive from a diags menu item.

You can reset the boot counter with the 5.1.2 jaibreak and a runme.sh designed to do that for you. You can write it yourself, or find one already published in the Dev Corner forum (somewhere).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote