Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-25-2011, 03:00 AM   #1
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Annoying extra blank pages

I'm working on a "personal use" epub I'm making from a scanned book, and mostly have it looking like I want. I'm no expert with CSS, but it looks OK in ADE and works on my Nook.

However, after certain pages, there is a single extra blank page following and I don't know why! It's happening after the preface page, the titlepage, the copyright page, the dedication page and the contents page. It happens on my Nook and also in ADE.

It does NOT happen with any of the chapters. It does not happen after the cover page.

Is there some code I am missing to end a single page item properly so this does not happen? Each of these pages (preface, titlepage, dedication, content) is a separate xhtml file, so I thought it would behave like the chapters and just go straight from one page to the next, without blanks in between.

I just find it horribly annoying to see and have to turn past the blank pages, particularly after the dedication page, which consists of three words near the top of the page! Any idea how to stop this behavior and get rid of the extra blank page?

If it's a code thing, examples would help. I'm not super techy... 50+ year old housewife. CSS is like a whole 'nother planet, but I'm trying to learn, at least in a basic way. Thanks for any help or ideas!

P.S. Oh, it's late and maybe this would've been better in the epub forum? My bad... should not post when tired.

Last edited by graycyn; 02-25-2011 at 03:41 AM. Reason: added sentence
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:18 AM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Look in code view and see what code is at the point where it gives a new page. Delete some and save as a new document. See if it works. Repeat using original and save with new name each time until fixed. Just to make sure, save original in additional different place on your hard drive so harder to make mistake of saving over.
BTW probably the snow that has you flustered.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
Firepong
Firepong began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Pandigital Novel, Kindle DX
It might be a line break. LIke mrmikel said, look at it in code view and see what it does. Line breaks are different than chapter breaks as they just leave a blank page, like in your situation, instead of making a whole new chapter.
Firepong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Well, I had looked in the code view and the trouble is that I don't see anything untoward. And I've looked again and I still don't, but I'm a newbie to doing epub, so maybe there is something. I'll post examples.

Here, for instance, is what I have on the dedication page and other pages are pretty well the same, i.e. they end with a paragraph and the body and html tags. Which is exactly the way the chapters all end as well, only the problem doesn't happen there.

The single difference that I'm noting is that a class is assigned for the last paragraphs on the problem pages, where chapter pages are ending with strictly <p></p> tags, no class assigned.

Quote:
<body>
<h3 title="Dedication" class="toc" id="heading_id_2">&nbsp;</h3>

<p class="dedication">For Dilla Macbean</p>
</body>
</html>
This is how the preface page ends:

Quote:
<p class="attribute"><em>—Library Journal</em></p>
</body>
</html>
How the titlepage ends:

Quote:
<div>
<p class="cities">NEW YORK • TORONTO • LONDON • SYDNEY • AUCKLAND</p>
</div>
</body>
</html>
Now here is how a chapter ends and this is the case for all the chapters, none of which have extra blank pages after.

Quote:
<p>Danny doubted it.</p>
</body>
</html>

Which gave me the idea to try ending the problem pages with a blank paragraph, as in:

Quote:
<p>&nbsp;</p> or <p></p> or <p><br /></p>
In case that would fix it. But I can report that adding a paragraph in any of the above manners with no class assigned makes no difference whatsoever, so I removed those. I remain mystified as to why things are behaving this way. All I can think is that it is the single pages that are causing the problem, yet I know I've seen other books that have dedication, preface, or other single pages without this sort of thing happening.

Last edited by graycyn; 02-26-2011 at 12:28 PM.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Hmm... that markup should not be adding any blank page. There could be spurious pagebreaks at the beginning of some chapters, though. Is the Nook so stupid as to add a blank pages so that chapters start at odd-numbered (right) pages?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
You might also want to check for any extra css that may add page-break to the body tags of the affected files.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Graycyn
?
Is there a Stylesheet entry for div {
I noticed that the problem area starts or ends with a <div> or </div>

That div may have padding, margin or other attributes that cause a blank PAGE
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote