Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-13-2013, 05:03 AM   #1
arslonga
Connoisseur
arslonga began at the beginning.

Device: none
no need to register

Good day.

I was wondering if you could let me know what eReaders do not need to be activated with the vendor in order to be used. Thank you.
arslonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Sony T1, T2, Onyx Firefly, and there are a lot of older models like the Jetbook, Aluratek, Astak. Those are the ones I know of first hand.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You don't have to register a Kindle to use it. You do have to register it if you want to use the WiFi or catagories (folders). There are people who simply buy the Kindle and side load books to their little hearts content.

I don't know for certain but I would guess that the same is true for any of the major e-readers. Certain features might not be available but that you basic ereader works just fine with sideloaded content. Someone with a Nook, Kobo, and SOny will have to chime in to confirm this.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
The battery on the Nooks (at least the Simple Touch and Glowlight versions) drains almost overnight if you don't register. Registration doesn't require anything more than an email address, though, if you just want to side-load stuff. I believe you can even use a bogus email address for it. But, still, I'd guess that unless you have other reasons to prefer it, it's probably not the best choice if you don't want to register.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:43 AM   #5
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I'm not entirely sure, but fairly, that the Kobo Glo didn't require registration. The Pyrus mini didn't need registration (has no wifi anyway!), and the Bookeen Cybook Odyssey HD Frontlight (such a mouthful) also didn't ask to be registered (not even when I browsed the associated bookstore).
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2013, 05:38 AM   #6
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
kobo glo won't let you do anything until you register, but there is a workaround.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps the OP could explain the reason for the requirement for "no registration". We'd be in a better position to suggest solutions if we understood what the concerns about registration are.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
kobo glo won't let you do anything until you register, but there is a workaround.
Hmm, I honestly don't recall it asking, but I think I quickly redeemed the 90% discount coupon, which may have taken care of the registration.

The Bookeen definitely didn't need registration. Only got it this week, so the memory is fresh. It's actually a lovely device, though the bezel is larger than I expected with a 6" device, but the buttons are superb and capacitive touchscreen feels more responsive -- and the lowest front light setting is dimmer than the Glo's 1%. I will eventually get around to writing a mini review.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
The Bookeen definitely didn't need registration.
No, it's generally only devices associated with a bookstore that do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
Mivo
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it's generally only devices associated with a bookstore that do.
The Bookeen came from Thalia (German media chain) and their store is installed on the device (they sell it as the reader for the store). It didn't ask me to register, though, and I could even browse the store without having to log in.

From previous threads I recall that unless you buy the device directly from Bookeen, it seems to be always linked to a regional store. I've been able to do anything with it without it wanting to be registered or asking personal information: sideloading, adding books via MicroSD, wifi to check for firmware updates. Definitely happy with how independent the device works. The only time I notice that it has a store installed is when I'm in the main menu and there's an option to visit it.

The only thing it asked for is the WEP key for the router, but even setting up wifi was optional and it didn't prompt for it until I went to turn it on manually.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:08 AM   #11
arslonga
Connoisseur
arslonga began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for all your replies. Now, I was wondering about the following. My ideal eReader would be a properly front-lit K4NT with buttons and dictionary look-up when reading PDF documents. Would you say that the Bookeen Odyssey Frontlight is the closest to this? Thank you for your interest.
arslonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:00 AM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by arslonga View Post
... what eReaders do not need to be activated with the vendor in order to be used. Thank you.
PocketBook
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:55 AM   #13
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
No registration for all Onyx devices : 6" HD and 9.7" : M92.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
No 6" e-ink reader is going to be very good with PDF files, which are normally sized for an A4 or 8.5 x 11 page size. There is a lot of panning and zooming required to read them on a smaller e-ink reader. Get a tablet like an iPad instead if that's what you want to read.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #15
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
You don't have to register a Kindle to use it. You do have to register it if you want to use the WiFi or catagories (folders). There are people who simply buy the Kindle and side load books to their little hearts content.
Do you have to jailbreak Kindle first before you can use it to side load non DRM contents without having to register?

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 09-04-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote