Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
segosarko
segosarko began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook
drowning in indecision!

Just about to get my first eReader. Mainly interested in novels and academic articles. Can't decide between CyBook, Sony PRS 505 and BeBook. Love reading on very sunny beaches. I need advice to help me make my decision; can anyone help me with which has the best display and the best options for accessing contemporary novels from writers translated into English?
segosarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi segosarko and welcome to the Forum. You're right, it is a tough decision. I debated it a lot in my mind before opting for the Sony. Be sure and check out the 'Which One Should I Buy' Forum section here at Mobile Read at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by segosarko View Post
Just about to get my first eReader. Mainly interested in novels and academic articles. Can't decide between CyBook, Sony PRS 505 and BeBook. Love reading on very sunny beaches. I need advice to help me make my decision; can anyone help me with which has the best display and the best options for accessing contemporary novels from writers translated into English?
You'll want a device that supports mobipocket format (*.mobi, *.prc). That would be the CyBook.

Of course, there are ways to convert diferent formats, but why the hassle?

On the other side, Sony's library is not negligible and it's a cheaper device.

My personal choice was the Cybook (and I'm still waiting for the 9,7" Astak Mentor, mainly for PDF and image files).
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:23 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All three machines use the same screen, so that's not a deciding factor.

I have a CyBook and am very happy with it. The fact it uses MobiPocket gives you access to a very wide range of eBooks at reasonable prices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:21 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All three machines use the same screen, so that's not a deciding factor.

I have a CyBook and am very happy with it. The fact it uses MobiPocket gives you access to a very wide range of eBooks at reasonable prices.
What we have out there is software that basically gives us access to eBooks in all sort of formats that we can so very easily convert to the device of choice be it a 505 or a Gen3.

It's rather simple these days to go from LIT or PRC/Mobi to LRF for the 505. It's also simple to go from LIT to PRC for the Gen3. Also we can go from eReader to LRF or PRC without too much hassle. HTML is (most cases) fairly easy to go to LRF and/or PRC.

MobiDeDRM.py (versions 0.01 & 0.02 or just 0.04)
ConvertLIT 1.8
eReader2HTML.py
Calibre (mobi2oeb or lit2oeb)
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
some very good advice here, especially about the "which one should i buy ?" forum.

segosarko, i am going to take a leap and imagine from your rather surprising pseudo that you are living in france... if you are in Paris, perhaps you would like to come to the next MobileRead apéro where you could try out a variety of devices (i'm not sure we will have a BeBook though) and talk to users about their experiences.

if you are not in Paris (or France at all, for that matter), you could also take a look at the meetup threads in the Lounge (look for the red "meet-up" prefixes), to see if there is one near you. you can also post a message in the individual meeting threads (in english here, and in french here). perhaps there is a generous member living near you who could give you a demonstration. this might make it easier to decide.

all the devices have their strong points and i'm sure you will find one that you will love !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote