Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #1171
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Summer Knight is probably my least favorite Dresden book so far. But then again, thats me.
Me too. You could almost go with the Cliff's Notes on that one. Everything after Summer Knight is at least a little more engaging, and I think I mentioned six or eight times that Dead Beat is my favorite.
I guess I could always put the audio on high-speed if it gets tedious
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #1172
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Dresden Files stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
Thanks for the link to Dog Eared Books Alan. Since I had some money on Paypal witch I don't use (in Holland we use Ideal for web-shopping), I ordered a signed hb of Cold Days from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I suspect that you downloaded an .azw3 file which is the default for updated (from 3.3 to 3.4 firmware) Kindle Keyboards. And, in my opinion, I think that these newer file versions do not render well on the K3. They all seem to store 4 different fonts in each book file and are a lot larger file because of this. Personally, I dislike this update, but once the device has been updated there appears to be no way to revert to the 3.3 firmware.

You can get a copy of Calibre, install Apprentice Alf's Calibre plug-ins and then add the new book to the Calibre database which would strip the DRM and then it would allow you to convert it to a standard mobi. Which would also get the file pared down to 500 to 700kb from the over 2.5 megs that the .azw3 would probably be.

Don't know what to do about the black vs. gray color thing, but perhaps the azw3 has a color other than black assigned to the book's display font.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Thanks Alan...I don't usually put my DRM stripped books on my Kindle but looks like I will have to now. I was really enjoying this update with the blacker text too. Oh well, a few minutes extra work for a much better reading experience is worth it

Quote:
Those were 'informed guesses', and not at all a certain diagnosis. So let me know if my guess was accurate, ok?

Quote:
I will. I'll strip it and convert this weekend with Calibre and see what difference it makes.

Quote:
I knew I shouldn't have gotten this book, but not for the reasons I originally thought. I'm such a weenie I've cried twice and I've only read 27% .
Hmmm....so then are you now reading a regular old .mobi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
I know right!!

I haven't read the series but I definitely will be because of this thread. A lot of books though, 13!
Glad to hear it. to the Dresden Files thread!

Quote:

I'm gonna' re-read the next three Dresden Files books (#11, #12 & #13) right away.

I'm done with the re-read of Turn Coat (loved it) and am over 1/3 of the way through re-reading Changes! (loving it)

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #1173
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I bought the first 4 audiobooks of the Harry Dresden Series and waited and waited for the rest to come out. Finally, they all came out at once on Audible. Love Harry Dresden and thanks to e-ink technology, I can also READ them.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #1174
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Haven't converted the book to Mobi yet. Darn kids keeps hogging the computer

I'm actually really enjoying this book even though it's not the typical Harry.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #1175
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Two Plus Two

Quote from jim-butcher.com.

Quote:

Two Plus Two

Nov 06, 2012

Tuesday is Twos Day! (Okay, I won’t quit my day… university.) Check out Chapter 2 of Cold Days!

The two goodness continues with two awesome links of note:

TOR.com has launched a Dresden Files reread, focusing on another book every Monday. Join the discussion!
Jim was a guest on the SciFi Saturday Night podcast. Check out the *interview!
* The Jim Butcher interview begins at about 34 minutes into the show.

Last edited by alansplace; 11-06-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 11-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #1176
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Re Ghost Story: I have a question, which may be answered before I finish the book, but I'm impatient

Spoiler:
Where is Georgia? Will has been around quite a bit along with Andi and Marci, but no Georgia.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:49 AM   #1177
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Dresden Files

Quote:
Re Ghost Story: I have a question, which may be answered before I finish the book, but I'm impatient

Spoiler:
Where is Georgia? Will has been around quite a bit along with Andi and Marci, but no Georgia.
Read Aftermath, the last story in Side Jobs and a bridge between Changes and Ghost Story.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:01 AM   #1178
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Glad to hear it. to the Dresden Files thread!
Thank you!! Just wanted to say that I started Storm Front, I'm still on the 4th chapter and it's surprisingly good so far! I literally cannot put my Kindle down! I went ahead and bought the second and third books in the series. The series will become one of my favorite, I know it because I don't read a series that has more than five books already but this I absolutely will be

Last edited by Gazella; 11-07-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #1179
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Read Aftermath, the last story in Side Jobs and a bridge between Changes and Ghost Story.

I don't have Side Jobs ...I didn't want to buy it until I did a complete re-read of the series.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #1180
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool hmmm...

Quote:
I don't have Side Jobs ...I didn't want to buy it until I did a complete re-read of the series.
A good idea. EXCEPT! Except for that last story/novella! And for the fact that each story fits in somewhere and says where that is right under each title throughout the book. So you can intersperse the storys with the novels.

Oh well!

Old 11-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #1181
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Here's your answer

Spoiler:
She's pregnant.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #1182
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Since I've got other things I'm working on and playing with right now, I'm sticking to short fiction and magazines for a while, until Cold Days. So that will be the next book I read. I've decided to wait on Iron Druid Chronicles.

Now... come on, 11/27!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #1183
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

The Dresden Files

Quote:
I'm done with the re-read of Turn Coat (loved it) and am over 1/3 of the way through re-reading Changes! (loving it)

I've just finished re-reading Changes and then after that the novella, Aftermath. Aftermath is a bridge between Changes and Ghost Story It is the last story in Side Jobs. These re-reads were quite exciting and I've thoroughly enjoyed re-reading them. So now I've just started my re-read of Ghost Story which I'm looking forward to a lot!

Also I've now read the fist two chapters of Cold Days.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #1184
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
I've just finished re-reading Changes and then after that the novella, Aftermath. Aftermath is a bridge between Changes and Ghost Story It is the last story in Side Jobs.
I read Side Jobs alongside the series and Aftermath was my favorite.

What I really want, though, is a Side-Jobs-sized volume of nothing but more Bigfoot cases. I love River.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #1185
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Haven't converted the book to Mobi yet. Darn kids keeps hogging the computer

I'm actually really enjoying this book even though it's not the typical Harry.
So I converted the book with Calibre finally. The book went from AZW3 to Mobi perfectly and it looks like it's supposed to No tiny font, and it's much clearer...to my eyes anyway.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy