Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 05:46 AM   #1
Groxxxy
Banned
Groxxxy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Red face Confused about Kindle's 3G

I'm finding it hard to understand what i'm buying exactly and how it limits me. I'm interested in either the Kindle keyboard 3G or the new Paperwhite 3G. I've heard Amazon has limited monthly experimental browsing to 50MB, is that true for both models? Can I browse anything other than wikipedia and the Amazon Store on both models like the BBC or Google?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...wsingcountries

This says only 61 countries allow me to use the web for the experimental browser, is that just for wikipedia or the whole web? I live in a country not on that list but which still has national 3G, can I access Google with either model in that case?

Please bear with me. Thanks.
Groxxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I believe that Kindle Keyboard 3G is unlimited. The later 3G additions are limited due to th 3G being abused by a few folks. I believe the 3G browser is limited to Amazon and Wikipedia but there are no limits when using WiFi.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groxxxy View Post
I'm finding it hard to understand what i'm buying exactly and how it limits me. I'm interested in either the Kindle keyboard 3G or the new Paperwhite 3G. I've heard Amazon has limited monthly experimental browsing to 50MB, is that true for both models? Can I browse anything other than wikipedia and the Amazon Store on both models like the BBC or Google?
The 50MB limit probably applies to both. The browsing restriction using 3G for wiki and the Amazon Store applies to the touchscreen models, including the new Paperwhite, older non-touch models like the Kindle Keyboard have unrestricted access to the web via 3G.

Quote:
This says only 61 countries allow me to use the web for the experimental browser, is that just for wikipedia or the whole web? I live in a country not on that list but which still has national 3G, can I access Google with either model in that case?
If Amazon doesn't have a contract with the 3G supplier in your country, then you won't have access. If you say what country you are in, perhaps there is another user here that could confirm whether or not you can access 3G from there.

Last edited by Synamon; 10-09-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
I used to own the kindle keyboard 3g back in 2010-2011 and can say it was unlimited and as far as i know it still is.
I used it for 5+ months strait for web surfing and reading books every day as i did not have a internet connection in my room i was renting,I was using the experimental web browser with 3G all that time.

But i have to say that the user interface was clunky as you had to go through several pages and steps just to get to the web browser for instance.
I found my 7inch tablet so much faster and better for every thing the kiddle keyboard could do but only cost a little more.

As your looking at the UK amazon store im guessing your in eastern Europe am i rite ? and amazons 3G support for eastern Europe is a bit poor .

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-10-2012 at 09:52 AM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
rlowe
Enthusiast
rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3; Kindle DX
Using Kindle ereaders to connect the Internet could be the most annoyed thing you've ever experienced. Like darksaber35 said, the speed is extremely slow due to hardware specifications
rlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 04:10 AM   #6
Groxxxy
Banned
Groxxxy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
The last two posts put me off the 3G keyboard and 3G in general. Alright wi-fi Paperwhite it is. Thank you to everyone.
Groxxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:08 AM   #7
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowe View Post
the speed is extremely slow due to hardware specifications
It takes me about 3 seconds on Kindle 3G to get to the average text heavy web site optimized for Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) browsers.

Not one of the default web site bookmarks provided with the Kindle Keyboard 3G is highly suitable for the device, not even Wikipedia. This is probably what gives people the idea that the 3G should be used for buying stuff from Amazon. A conspiratorial mindset could lead one to think that's what Amazon wants
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There are people who have said that they used the 3Gt o check email and contact people when they did not have cell phone reception and they needed help with something. I think it is great to have in an emergency but I would not use it for day to day browsing.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote