Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
travelingsandy
Connoisseur
travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7", Kobo Aura
Transfer Sony & Harlequin Books to New Fire

I received my new Fire today (Yea). I am in the process of setting it up & transfering books to it. I synced my new Amazon books to it ok; now I would like to trransfer other purchased & free books to the Fire. Can I transfer my Sony E-pub & Harlequin library (about 140 books) to the Fire? I can see where this is going to be a learning curve for me. Sure is a GREAT little tablet. Love this site for assistance and learning.
travelingsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You'll need an ePub app that supports Adobe DRM...

Try Mantano (my favorite), Aldiko, BlueFire...

This thread may be of help (some discussion of ADE ePub's)...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166073
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Alternatively, strip the DRM and use Calibre to convert from ePub to MOBI. Harlequin may be DRM-free, for Sony DRM see Apprentice Alf's Blog. Since you need Calibre anyway, the 3rd party DRM-stripping plugins for Calibre are likely to be the way to go.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Alternatively, strip the DRM and use Calibre to convert from ePub to MOBI. Harlequin may be DRM-free, for Sony DRM see Apprentice Alf's Blog. Since you need Calibre anyway, the 3rd party DRM-stripping plugins for Calibre are likely to be the way to go.
Nope most HQs are DRM with Adept. One thing I love about HQ books is they convert so nicely to any format no matter where I buy them or format with Calibre once liberated.

Mantano is my choice for epubs I now have no other epub reader installed.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Mantano is my choice for epubs I now have no other epub reader installed.
I'm going to have to give it a try. Up until now, I've simply liberated and converted to Mobi, but it would be useful to be able to read ePubs natively some times.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
travelingsandy
Connoisseur
travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thanks for the help. Blossom a couple of questions if I may. I am not familiar with Mantano--is I use it, will it DRM free me & convert? Or, do I need to go to Alf Apprentice for program, then use Mantano? Sorry to be so basic; but, I am not familiar with all of these programs & it sometimes gets confusing. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
travelingsandy
Connoisseur

Couple more questions re: Mantano. I am still a litle confused. Do you install Mantano on the Fire or your computer? Where is the best place to obtain the download? Thanks again, and sorry for being so basic.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

One way to use Sony DRMed books on the Fire is to install the Sony Reader for Android app. You will have to sideload it but that shouldn't be a problem.

http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/

Admittedly it is not a good reading app though.

Last edited by jswinden; 01-24-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingsandy View Post
Couple more questions re: Mantano. I am still a litle confused. Do you install Mantano on the Fire or your computer? Where is the best place to obtain the download? Thanks again, and sorry for being so basic.
Mantano is an app for Android devices, it goes on the Fire.

You can get the app from SlideMe...
http://slideme.org/application/mantano-reader-free

...or Google 'Mantano APK' and you should be able to find the free version.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Thanks for the help. Blossom a couple of questions if I may. I am not familiar with Mantano--is I use it, will it DRM free me & convert? Or, do I need to go to Alf Apprentice for program, then use Mantano? Sorry to be so basic; but, I am not familiar with all of these programs & it sometimes gets confusing. Thanks.
Mantano is a reading app for Android that goes on your Fire to allow you to read ePub's with or without DRM (it also does PDF).

Alf can help with DRM removal if wanted, but it's not necessary to remove it in order to read DRM'd ePub (or PDF) books with Mantano.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
travelingsandy
Connoisseur

Thank you for the extremely helpful info-I believe I understand it now. I do not necessarily want to remove DRM--I just want to be able to read the books I have purchased that are on epub. Also, thankyou for the links.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
travelingsandy
Connoisseur

Thank you for the extremely helpful info--I think I understand it now. I do not necessarily want to remove DRM; I just want to be able to read my previously purchased (epub) books on the Fire. I will obtain the app.

Last edited by travelingsandy; 01-24-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Delete, sent twice
Old 01-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #13
travelingsandy
Connoisseur

Here I am with another question. I looked @ purchasing Mantano 1.6.3 full version from Amazon for $7.49 (I do not mind spending the $ if it works). A pop-up stated it was not compatable with the Fire. Before I purchase, is this an issue?
Old 01-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Here I am with another question. I looked @ purchasing Mantano 1.6.3 full version from Amazon for $7.49 (I do not mind spending the $ if it works). A pop-up stated it was not compatable with the Fire. Before I purchase, is this an issue?
Personally I wouldn't purchase it from Amazon. Why? Since the Fire's been out Mantano has had nothing but trouble getting their updated app approved. As someone who bought from Amazon I was waiting for updates forever. 1.66 is latest version and it's still not up but they have tried to get it approved.

If you have a Market account you can get it there then sideload it if not SlideME is the place to buy it from. It will work on the Fire without a problem sideloaded. I've used it from day 1 and plan to install it on my replacement Fire that should be here any moment.

I had to get mine from the Market even though I bought mine at Amazon the new version has the sub collection bug fixed.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
travelingsandy
Connoisseur

Thanks Blossom. I just purchased from SlideMe. Good luck with your replacement Fire.