Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
TonyKZ1
TonyKZ1 began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story HD
connecting to a secure wireless spot

I'm evidently needing some help or pointers or plugins to connect to our secure wireless hotspots here at work with my iRiver Story HD. Neither of them show a lock icon in the wireless network options, however in order to connect to one of them, you launch the web browser and then input your login and password into a couple boxes and that works fine for however long (usually several minutes before you are automatically logged out or disconnected due to inactivity). The other one is a more secure site utilizing a peap (protected eap) type of authentication.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks, Tony
TonyKZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Does the web browser on the Story HD open at all? What does it show, or is there an error message, or what happens when you try?

The Story HD supports regular wifi security (wpa2 etc.) fine, but yours sounds like a firewalled environment with a forced proxy (the proxy being what makes the login form show up in the browser when you try to open any site).

Although the Story HD uses a browser for the bookstore, it also uses direct connections for time synchronisation, Google authentication, firmware updates. If this is blocked in your environment then it might simply not work at all.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
TonyKZ1

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
On the one connection that eventually works, it first errors out, but then gives an option to launch the web browser, not sure why it would do that if the internet isn't working? After launching the web browser, and then filling out the login & password fields, it works for a while. I wonder how you would open the web browser with out being given that error message and the option to launch it?

When I try to connect to the other connection, this is the one with the peap authentication, a circle appears, spins for awhile and then stops.

I have also tried connecting to a shared open internet connection from my computer, with the same results, a spinning circle and then nothing, not even an error message. I had thought that would have worked fine with no problems.
I've now sent a message to iRiver, hopefully they can shed some light on this.
Tony

Last edited by TonyKZ1; 03-13-2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: editing...
Old 03-14-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyKZ1 View Post
After launching the web browser, and then filling out the login & password fields, it works for a while.
You lost me there... so it works after all?
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
TonyKZ1

out of all the access points I tested, open and secure, including sharing my local computer connection, it works on only one of them. Kinda odd I thought.
Thanks, Tony