Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #241
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If the situation is described accurately, it seems like it amounts to what should be a simple glitch on Amazon's side. You really should escalate via whatever mechanism Amazon provides.
This statement makes no sense: "...the long and short of it was this is part of the 3.3 upgrade, they cannot unsubscribe me (even though I didn't subscribe) and there is nothing they can do...."
Among the features surrounding the 3.3 update is the ability for ALL Kindle owner to opt in and out of the special offers. Even SO owners have an edit button to unsubscribe, they just would have pay to use it.
If you do not have an edit button, then there is clearly something they can do: fix your account to make it behave normally.
Either you misunderstood, or there is something you are not telling us, or there is a very different policy in your part of the world, or else you sadly got a less-than-competent CS rep and need to speak with someone else.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 11-28-2011 at 04:55 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #242
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Try again the person you talk to doesn't know what they are saying.

Tell them I have a non special offers Kindle Keyboard and when I upgraded the firmware I am getting special offers suddenly now?

I think something is messed up on my account because I never opted in for special offers and I paid full price for this Kindle 3 so please fix it. If it can't be fixed account wise can you please send me a Kindle that doesn't have this issue.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:46 AM   #243
Jayd31
Jayd31 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Tell them I have a non special offers Kindle Keyboard and when I upgraded the firmware I am getting special offers suddenly now?

I think something is messed up on my account because I never opted in for special offers and I paid full price for this Kindle 3 so please fix it. If it can't be fixed account wise can you please send me a Kindle that doesn't have this issue.
Pretty much the discussion I had with the rep (I could paste the conversation but not much point), as I said, there is no edit button which is strange if even SO owners should have this option, I can't believe you would be 'forced' to accept an upgrade which 'forces' you to be subscribed to a set of offers that you don't want and even better, by now living in the US are totally irrelevant to me also?

If I am subscribed, surely I can be unsubscribed from their end?

No different policy over here that I am aware off, I don't think the Cz.Republic is classed as third world
Jayd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:10 AM   #244
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayd31 View Post
Pretty much the discussion I had with the rep (I could paste the conversation but not much point), as I said, there is no edit button which is strange if even SO owners should have this option, I can't believe you would be 'forced' to accept an upgrade which 'forces' you to be subscribed to a set of offers that you don't want and even better, by now living in the US are totally irrelevant to me also?

If I am subscribed, surely I can be unsubscribed from their end?

No different policy over here that I am aware off, I don't think the Cz.Republic is classed as third world
Try again when you get the email called your Inquiry. There are two links click the "no" link and fill out the feedback then it will give you an option to try again.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:02 AM   #245
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Pretty much the discussion I had with the rep (I could paste the conversation but not much point), as I said, there is no edit button which is strange....
Not having the edit button next to Subscribed/Unsubscribed seems odd to me, although it may be because special offers are not even an option where you live.

I hope that you will keep trying to get satisfactory resolution through Amazon's customer service. Since special offers aren't available outside the U.S., surely they should be able to help you get this issue resolved either by fixing it within your account or sending you a replacement Kindle. Did you purchase this Kindle from a store in the Czech Republic?

My only other thought is if you purchased the Kindle in the United States (or using a U.S. address?), perhaps you've had a special offers model all along, even though the ads didn't appear before the 3.3 update.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:30 AM   #246
Jayd31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Not having the edit button next to Subscribed/Unsubscribed seems odd to me, although it may be because special offers are not even an option where you live.
Agreed, if they are not relevant to me, surely they can be removed?

Quote:
Did you purchase this Kindle from a store in the Czech Republic?
Online from the US, it was cheaper than here as most electronics are

Quote:
My only other thought is if you purchased the Kindle in the United States (or using a U.S. address?), perhaps you've had a special offers model all along, even though the ads didn't appear before the 3.3 update.
This is what I have been thinking as when I performed a factory reset (upon Amazons suggestion) my screensavers returned, until I registered it when they vanished again. So now I either deal with the ads or de-register.

Thanks for the help again everyone.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:34 AM   #247
Jayd31

So, edit button wasn't visible because my country of residence is the Cz.Rep so I created a fake US address and bingo it appears BUT I cannot unsubscribe as I do not have a US billign address.
Amazon tried to unsubscribe from their end fo rme (50 dollars) but the IP address shows me as not being in the US so will not let me subscribe?

Looks like I am stuck with them, I can only subscribe if I move to the US!!
Old 12-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #248
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
but the IP address shows me as not being in the US so will not let me subscribe?
Try a free proxy server with a US IP address.

Last edited by Doitsu; 12-04-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #249
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
use a VPN service
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote