Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
Automatic News Download

I know this might be out of the normal range of this forum but any advice would be appreciated.

I have setup my K3 and Calibre both correctly to obtain web feeds but am having trouble with my PC laptop.

I have setup Calibre so that it automatically starts on bootup and runs minimized and it is also on the system tray.

When my laptop has been unatended is goes into "Sleep". I had ssumed that when the appointed time came as per the news preferences it would wake up and d/l the news and email to my K3.

It appears though that it won't do anything until I go to use the laptop and then the first thing it does is go and d/l the file.

I went into the bios of the PC and turned on "wake on LAN" in case this was the problem but it doesn't appear to have made any difference.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work without leaving my laptop in a full state of consciousness 24/7.

Brewjono.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:52 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
You could always just configure the news to download at a time that you'll have your laptop switched on anyways and/or increase the time until it goes to sleep.
And, for your information: Wake on LAN wakes the computer when it receives a special "magic" packet (as in network protocol packet) from another computer.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:45 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
A quick google search found this piece of freeware. I found it via this thread, which also proposes other ways to do the same thing.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
Thankyou both.

I have decided to go with the task sceduler within windows. It has an option to "wake" the laptop to perform the task. After the normal period of inactivity it will go back to sleep.

Brewjono.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote