Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 07-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Cool Kindle books converted to Sony?

Is it possible to buy Kindle books via someone else's Kindle or iPod touch, keep them in your account then download them to your computer without having the iPod or Kindle connected?

I've been trying to do this for some time and I finally registered my cousin's iPod Touch to my Kindle account. She was able to d/l the book to her iPod but it's telling me there is an "error" and to try back in order for me to download the content to my pc.

Just wondering if this is possible?
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
iPod/iPhone only accounts cannot download Kindle books to a computer (you need a Kindle to do that). You will have to find a way to extract the book from your cousin's iPod, get the iPod's PID and use it strip the DRM in order to convert it for Sony use.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you kidding?! Ugh! We live 4 hours apart, so that's not going to happen. I was just hoping I'd be able to use my cousin's iPod as an approved device. I went into My Media Library and it just says they're "Having trouble" and that's why I can't d/l. I suppose we shall see.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Kindle for iPhone app basically gives iPhones and iPods the ability to read Kindle books and sync with Kindles.

Not sure why you're getting the "having trouble" message. You may have to contact Kindle support for help.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:23 AM   #5
spectrum42
spectrum42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Is it possible to buy Kindle books via someone else's Kindle or iPod touch, keep them in your account then download them to your computer without having the iPod or Kindle connected?
I've had my iPod touch registered for months and was unable to download books to the computer. (I received the error that basically said there was a problem and to try again later.) A couple weeks ago I bought a Kindle and as soon as it showed as registered on my account, even though I hadn't yet received it, the download book option began working. This makes me think you probably won't be able to do this without actually having a Kindle device registered.
spectrum42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
So, if if you're not allowed to download the ebook you've bought without a kindle, is it possible to extract the file out of the iPhone or iPod Touch?
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
SolRaven
Wizard

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
So, if if you're not allowed to download the ebook you've bought without a kindle, is it possible to extract the file out of the iPhone or iPod Touch?
I don't know. I'll have to ask her to try.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
Yes. See Kindle app for iPhone and iPod Touch in iTunes Store. Note that all Kindle ebooks, including TOPAZ, are in .prc files and, although not all AZW ebooks have DRM, any DRMed ebooks will be using the iPhone's PID.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Thanks a lot Mr Encyclopedia/wallcraft.
So there is a workaround even without a kindle... Very interesting indeed.
Need to give it a try...
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:58 AM   #10
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
Hey,

Ihave a few Mobi files that didn't work on my palm. So I have Mobipocket on my computer. I heard that Kindle and Mobipocket files are interchangeable. My question is would I have to have a Kindle to open one in Mobi or would I be able to download it to Mobi?
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by idraw22 View Post
Hey,

Ihave a few Mobi files that didn't work on my palm. So I have Mobipocket on my computer. I heard that Kindle and Mobipocket files are interchangeable. My question is would I have to have a Kindle to open one in Mobi or would I be able to download it to Mobi?
Kindle's .azw files are .mobi files. The files are the same but their DRM is different, so unless the Kindle book is DRM-free you will not be able to open it in Mobipocket Reader.

Kindle for PC will read all Kindle books but only DRM free books from Mobipocket.com.

So you need both desktop readers unless you plan to strip their DRM, in which case you can use either or both desktop readers.