Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-21-2015, 03:56 AM   #1
Felix Ding
Felix Ding began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Converting OPF to mobi loses article's author and description?

Hi,

I'm trying to convert a OPF to a mobi ebook using ebook-convert like

Code:
ebook-convert book.opf book.mobi
The convertion went OK and I could get the ebook.

But when I read the book on a Kindle Paperwhite, I found all articles' author and description info are lost.

In Paperwhite's Cover View, there is 'No details available' under each article title.

However, these information are in the OPF file:

Code:
<navPoint playOrder="2" class="article" id="88f3f4f35ed557e95c59024d92a73b33">
  <navLabel>
    <text>India blocks Colgate patents for spices</text>
  </navLabel>
  <content src="1.html"/>
  <mbp:meta name="description">India blocks Colgate patents for spices</mbp:meta>
  <mbp:meta name="author">Unknown</mbp:meta>
</navPoint>
Is there anyway to solve this? Thank you.
Felix Ding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You cannot create periodicals by conversion only using the recipe system in calibre. Periodicals are the format needed for per article metadata.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #3
Felix Ding

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You cannot create periodicals by conversion only using the recipe system in calibre. Periodicals are the format needed for per article metadata.
Thanks for the prompty reply. But,

1. If I do
Code:
ebook-convert lifehacker.recipe lifehacker.mobi
I could get a ebook with authors and descriptions.

2. I tried to add these to article's HTML files:
Code:
<head>
    <meta charset='utf-8'>
    <meta content="here is the author" name="author"/>
    <meta content="here is the description" name="description" />
    <title>India blocks Colgate patents for spices</title>
  </head>
Then run
Code:
ebook-convert book.opf book.mobi
But still, "No details available".

What do you mean "per article metadata"?

By the way, if use kindlegen as
Code:
kindlegen lifehacker.opf lifehacker.mobi
I could get a ebook with authors and descriptions.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:04 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When you run ebook-convert with a .recipe file you are using the recipe system.

Once again, you can only create periodicals using the recipe system, and only periodicals have support for per article metadata. I dont know what kindlegen has to do with anything. *calibre* can only create periodicals using the recipe system. What kindlegen can or cannot do is irrelevant.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:59 AM   #5
Felix Ding

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
When you run ebook-convert with a .recipe file you are using the recipe system.

Once again, you can only create periodicals using the recipe system, and only periodicals have support for per article metadata. I dont know what kindlegen has to do with anything. *calibre* can only create periodicals using the recipe system. What kindlegen can or cannot do is irrelevant.

Alright, thanks.

If I want to modify Calibre and recompile ebook-convert, where shoud I start?

I have located the code thats gives the 'No details available' message: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...er2/indexer.py

It seems that I only need to make sure that node.description comes from toc.ncx, or somewhere else. But which class/file should I modify?

I don't know Python, but it should not be too hard to to it.
Advert
Old 08-28-2015, 02:05 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Instructions on setting up a calibre development environment are in the user manual. You dont need to compile anything, it is as simple as running three commands