Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
www.readingthenet.com Not Working on Devices

For the past couple weeks, I cannot get the Kindle 3-specific web site http://www.readingthenet.com/ to open on either my Kindle Keyboard or Kindle 2011 non-touch. The consistent message returned is "Your Kindle is Unable to Return the Requested Page." I've tried, without success, enabling and disabling Javascript and Images.

The main use I make of readingthenet.com is to control the font size of a text-heavy web sites similar to what is achieved for books and personal documents with the built-in Kindle software. You can then bookmark the web site you like to read, and the font is preserved as you navigate anywhere in the site. These bookmarks are also failing!

Any alternative ideas on how to automatically force large fonts with the Kindle browser will also be welcomed. (I know about Article Mode and Zoom. They are impossibly slow because you have to re-do them for every page.)

By the way, bringing up http://www.readingthenet.com/ on my PC browser still works fine.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Just to say it doesn't work for me either on my Kindle.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Try the NewsHog (Google News) App from the Amazon store:

http://www.amazon.com/SoLoMob-Inc-Ne...le+news+reader

It allows one to select standard fonts for all newsites which are then downloaed to one's Kindle Fire. However, be sure to turn off automtic updates to conserve battery power.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Try the NewsHog (Google News) App from the Amazon store:

http://www.amazon.com/SoLoMob-Inc-Ne...le+news+reader

It allows one to select standard fonts for all newsites which are then downloaed to one's Kindle Fire. However, be sure to turn off automtic updates to conserve battery power.
That won't help on a eink kindle. The browser on the fire is hopefully better to begin with - and if not installing better browsers should be very easy.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Robin Gardner
Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: kindle
Hi,

I own readingthenet.com and the reason for these problems is that I transferred the dns hosting of that domain to another host who have messed up and are causing these problems. However DNS transfer rules dictate that I have to wait 60 days before I can move the domain back out again. The 60 days will lapse at the beginning of January when everything should be back to normal. I will post again to this thread when it's all fixed. Sorry about these problems.

Robin
Robin Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ Thank you, Robin, for clearing that up. I thought for a while that it is one master plan of Amazon to shut down and make useless the free 3G access on older Kindles. The Touch and Paperwhite are already limited in the use of 3G. That is the main reason I settled for the wifi-only version of the PW. The premium in price is less and less justifyable.

Cheers
Old 01-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Warning: Techie Post Ahead - And, Worse Than That, Poster May Not Know What He's Talking About

I shouldn't get impatient just when the down time is about to end -- but when it is a DNS problem, shouldn't we get able to use the site by typing an IP address?

Currently, on OpenSUSE Linux, I can get to www.readingthenet.com, using the web site name, with the Konqueror or Firefox browser. Same from Chrome on Windows 8. And, pinging www.readingthent.com, I get an IP address of 216.239.38.21 from Linux and 216.239.32.21 from Windows. But either of those IP addresses gives a 404 error from Google.

Doesn't this mean that there must be a working IP address for www.readingthenet.com, the problem being that the DNS server the Kindle is using returns the wrong one -- probably one of the ones returned by ping? Is there some way to bypass the Kindle DNS server by putting in the same IP address my PC DNS server is returning? And is there some way to find out the IP address a PC browser is actually using?

This brings up the question of what DNS server I am using on my PC. On the Windows side, it is definitely Google Public DNS. On the Linux side, I haven't bothered switching from the default DNS, so I guess it is still Verizon. That's the only way I can account for getting different PING results on Windows and Linux.

This is quite consistent with Robin's description of the "DNS hosting" being "messed up"
Old 01-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Warning: Techie Post Ahead - And, Worse Than That, Poster May Not Know What He's Talking About

I shouldn't get impatient just when the down time is about to end -- but when it is a DNS problem, shouldn't we get able to use the site by typing an IP address?

Currently, on OpenSUSE Linux, I can get to www.readingthenet.com, using the web site name, with the Konqueror or Firefox browser. Same from Chrome on Windows 8. And, pinging www.readingthent.com, I get an IP address of 216.239.38.21 from Linux and 216.239.32.21 from Windows. But either of those IP addresses gives a 404 error from Google.

Doesn't this mean that there must be a working IP address for www.readingthenet.com, the problem being that the DNS server the Kindle is using returns the wrong one -- probably one of the ones returned by ping? Is there some way to bypass the Kindle DNS server by putting in the same IP address my PC DNS server is returning? And is there some way to find out the IP address a PC browser is actually using?

This brings up the question of what DNS server I am using on my PC. On the Windows side, it is definitely Google Public DNS. On the Linux side, I haven't bothered switching from the default DNS, so I guess it is still Verizon. That's the only way I can account for getting different PING results on Windows and Linux.

This is quite consistent with Robin's description of the "DNS hosting" being "messed up"
That is because the entry in the DNS server is messed up. It returns an address that suggest a 6in4 ip address, but there is no ipv6 address. Then it would not work to enter the ip in the browser. Look at output from nslookup and dig (my dns server xxx ed out, see spoiler). This does not add up: there is no ipv6 entry, even though the ip addresses suggest ipv6 in some kind. Broken DNS record, wrongly setup DNS server. Broken. As for multiple ip addresses, that is to balance load - not everybody will go to same server.

Spoiler:
Code:
# nslookup readingthenet.com
Server:    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Address 1: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Name:      readingthenet.com
Address 1: 204.93.202.117 narsil.securewebz.com
Address 2: 216.239.32.21 any-in-2015.1e100.net
Address 3: 216.239.34.21 any-in-2215.1e100.net
Address 4: 216.239.36.21 any-in-2415.1e100.net
Address 5: 216.239.38.21 any-in-2615.1e100.net
#
# dig readingthenet.com AAAA

; <<>> DiG 9.6.1-P3 <<>> readingthenet.com AAAA
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 20933
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;readingthenet.com.             IN      AAAA

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
readingthenet.com.      85740   IN      SOA     ns1.webzdns.com. sysadmin.securewebz.com. 2012110305 86400 7200 3600000 86400

;; Query time: 24 msec
;; SERVER: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx#53(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
;; WHEN: Sun Jan  6 13:01:18 2013
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 103

#
Old 01-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #9
Robin Gardner
Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Hi again,

Everything should now be fixed!!

In addition to the DNS fixes I have also fixed the search facility which was broken due to bing API changes.

Finally I have also added a Kindle editor at http://editor.readingthenet.com

This is basically a copy of http://simpletext.ws but with bigger font sizes so it's more readable on the kindle e-ink.

If anybody finds any issues then let me know. Apologies once again for the downtime.

Robin
Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you greatly!

Most of my old links work, but some don't, I think because of web site redesigns. I can't get the Washington Post (twp.com) working well, which used to be my favorite ReadingTheNet.com-enhanced web site. You can bring up the site, but click throughs to articles don't seem to be working. But that's not Robin's fault, and that newspaper is moving to a pay wall later this year anyway.

Here are two Indian sites that again work outstandingly:

The Times of India:
tinyurl.com/7gmf6ae

Swaminomics:
tinyurl.com/cbejsu7

When I get more successes, I'll probably post a group on the "Links Every Kindle Owner Should Have" thread.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 01-11-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:37 AM   #11
Robin Gardner

I have looked at twp.com and I have now fixed it so this works (weird issue!). An easy way to tell if it is my fault or not is to try the site on the google mobilizer at http://google.com/gwt/x If the site works here but not on readingthenet.com then it is my fault. So if anybody has any sites that don't work and it look's like my fault then let know and I will fix it.

Robin