Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Google Play store & multi-user support

I'd like a new 7" tablet because my old one died. The Kindle Fire is just within budget, and looks like it has a better screen than my old one (one thing I didn't like about the old one).

I've tried googling and looking here, but I can't work out for sure if the Fire would do what I want. There are two things in particular:

Access to the Google Play store. From what I can tell, the Fire doesn't have this out of the box. Can it be added?

Multi-user support. My wife and I would both like to use the tablet, with our own settings. I know the Fire has an app (Playtime?) that allows a parent to set up profiles for their kids, but can the profile be set up with full access? If so, that would probably do what we want.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42
Access to the Google Play store. From what I can tell, the Fire doesn't have this out of the box. Can it be added?
I'm pretty sure Google Play is off the table unless you're willing to root the device.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm pretty sure Google Play is off the table unless you're willing to root the device.
I thought that might be the case. I'd prefer not to root it, but I don't have a particularly strong objection.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
Kwality
Fervent Reader
Kwality began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire HD
There is a work around as Eweforia posted in another thread. I quote:

Quote:
Install Google Play Store Apps on Kindle Fire When You Don’t Have an Android Device
How to Install Google Play Store Apps on a Kindle Fire When You Don’t Have Another Android Device--No rooting, no USB cables; just your Kindle Fire and a PC

I put it all together and wrote down the instructions here:

https://eweforia.wordpress.com/2013/...ndroid-device/

Hopefully this will help some folks. I now have the entire Google Play Store available for my Kindle. -- Eweforia

Last edited by Kwality; 04-11-2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: link edit
Kwality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The things I didn't like about my Fire HD 8.9 were the carousel, lack of folder organization, and lack of key apps.

To solve these problems, I added 1Mobile Market from the Fire's browser. This gave me an app store where I was able to get apps Amazon didn't offer. The first one I downloaded was ADW Launcher. That gave me an Android feel and the ability to have multiple screens with folder organization for my apps and wallpaper I could change at will.

Now I'm happy with my Fire and it does what I need it to do without rooting.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
avantman42
Wizard

I've just found this, which says that it's not possible to browse the web when using Freetime, which means that we wouldn't be able to use that to set up profiles for myself and my wife

So I guess the only way to get it to do what we want is to root it. Oh well, thanks everyone for your help.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Why not buy 2? FreeTime is not free.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
FreeTime is not free.
FreeTime is free. The paid version is FreeTime Unlimited; a content subscription service.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
avantman42
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Why not buy 2? FreeTime is not free.
My budget is about £120 or so. One Kindle Fire with special offers costs £129. Two cost £258, which is significantly over-budget.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Don't understand the money But do understand budgets LOL. Buy 1 now & in about a month buy 2nd one. Still be cheaper than BlackBerry.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #11
avantman42
Wizard

I can't afford to buy one now and another in a month. All that said, though, I think we may just wait a while and buy a Nexus 7. It's an extra £30, but it appears to have everything we want out of the box.

Thanks again to everyone that helped.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
This Works GREAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwality View Post
There is a work around as Eweforia posted in another thread. I quote:
Thanks! I had to make a few minor modifications. I had to load the Win7 version of Bluestacks which, oddly, claims to be in beta while the Win8 version does not. However the Win7 version works fine.

Also I don't have dropbox, and didn't feel like trying to set it up. But I do have Box.com and that works just fine. I suspect any internet based online drive service that you have installed on your Fire should work.

At any rate I have Moon+ Reader Pro installed on my 1st gen Kindle fire. It works well and doesn't seem to have any problems on the Public domain books that come with it. I haven't tried importing any books yet. But that autoscroll will come in handy at the gym when I'm on the treadmill!

Again, thanks for the link!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote