Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Question Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1v vs. 10.1

My next tablet in about 4 weeks will be a new Samsung Galaxy Tab.
I'm not sure yet, whether I'll go for 8.9" or 10.1".
For the 10.1" version, I've found misleading informations.
Most websites and reviews state, 10.1v is the "old" version. The one Samsung did present and decided to redesign after seeing iPad2 specifications. So 10.1 would be the streamlined version = thinner than 10.1v but some minor downgrading, i.e. camera.
But I fnd some websites, stating exactly the opposite: 10.1v being the redesigned one.
I tend to the assumption, 10.1 being the redesigned one and 10.1v being the "old and original one".

Just to make sure: What's true?

BTW: In my opinion, this naming convention of Samsung is a PR disaster.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
ac9ts
Enthusiast
ac9ts began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
The Samsung website http://www.samsung.com/us/microsite/...tab/index.html shows the 10.1 as the star attraction. I have also heard the "v" was the older model as one of the phone carriers (can't remember which) was going to carry it but then opted to go with the newer 10.1 and yes, naming confusion reigns.
ac9ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

10.1v

Saw the 10.1v (the "fat" one) today.
It's less "fat" than Xoom.
And I love the form factor.
I've read, 10.1 (the redesigned one) would be a bit flimsy.
I'll probably go for the 10.1v.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I believe the 10.1.v was the Vodafone branded one that was originally going to be an exclusive for the carrier for a while.

However, Vodafone decided to dump the older bulkier device in favour of the newer 10.1 as they figured it would probably sell better. Story can be found here
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:46 AM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I believe the 10.1.v was the Vodafone branded one that was originally going to be an exclusive for the carrier for a while.

However, Vodafone decided to dump the older bulkier device in favour of the newer 10.1 as they figured it would probably sell better. Story can be found here
I've bought the 10.1v yesterday. In Germany you can buy both (10.1 + 10.1v). But the 10.1 isn't on stock yet.
I specifically went for the 10.1v.
I've read some reviews about 10.1 (without "v") being "flimsy". And 10.1v is thin enough for me, I don't care about 0,2mm more or less.
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 03:41 AM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I've bought the 10.1v yesterday. In Germany you can buy both (10.1 + 10.1v). But the 10.1 isn't on stock yet.
I specifically went for the 10.1v.
I've read some reviews about 10.1 (without "v") being "flimsy". And 10.1v is thin enough for me, I don't care about 0,2mm more or less.
Looking forward to another of your thorough reviews!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:41 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
... And 10.1v is thin enough for me, I don't care about 0,2mm more or less.

This reminds me of a stupid cigarette commercial (when they were legal) from decades ago.....just a silly millimeter longer....more taste...more enjoyment....

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote