Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
Renji
Connoisseur
Renji began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Cover Story WiFi, Sony PRS-T1
SD Card Importance? SDHC, SDHC Class 4, Class 10 etc is it important

Hi All,
I have a PRS-650 but I suppose it's a general question for anyone who has an ebook reader with a SD Slot, I wanted to ask if it makes a difference which class I use for my SDHC card? I know they have Class 4, 5 and 10 on the top of my head, but does it make a difference with loading speeds of the books etc

Currently I'm using a 8GB SDHC Class 4 but planning to get a 16GB Class 10 if the speeds actually make a difference.

Thanks
Renji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Hi Renji,

It's very unlikely that you'd see notable difference. Even more, some class 4,5 cards might be faster than other class 10 cards.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
hoichi
male solipsist pig
hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch→Kobo Aura HD
I don't think SD speed is really important for books. I don't even notice the difference with lossless music (about 800-1000 megabit/second). For cameras it might matter. For watching video -- maybe. For books -- I don't think so.
hoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
lack
Zealot
lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.

Device: PRS-650
if you are talking about cameras, ALWAYS get the the fastest card you can that does not blow up your purse. But talking about sony reader, I would assume the only boost you'll get from fast card is fast index time which is only happens the first time you add new books.

So IMO, we can get away with the economic choice... just go for the best bang for the buck
lack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
Renji
Connoisseur
Renji began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Cover Story WiFi, Sony PRS-T1
Great news then LOL I was seriously going out to buy a 16GB but I now I know don't need too and I still have only used 1GB of my current 8GB card, I'm not going on a holiday yet so don't think need to load up that much books. Currently I have 53 loaded and haven't read all of them yet.
Renji is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I have 50 books on the 1 GB SD card I keep in my reader, and it's a drop in the bucket!

A while back I bought a 16 GB card to back up my audiobooks and videos, in case my hard drive crashed - some of those movies run .5 GB each!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

If you are talking about ePub books, most seem to be no more than 5MB and you could get close to 200 5MB books onto a 1GB card. If you are talking about scanned PDFs then they can be much larger, but even if they were 50MB each you could still put about 20 of them on a 1GB card. Either way, that should be more than enough space to get you through a vacation!
Old 12-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
5 MB's???

I pulled three Epub books at random from my library wish list - they are 798, 1179 and 2485 KB's each!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoichi View Post
I don't think SD speed is really important for books. I don't even notice the difference with lossless music (about 800-1000 megabit/second). For cameras it might matter. For watching video -- maybe. For books -- I don't think so.
---------------------------
I agree. For video, I'd go with the faster class 10. For books, music, pictures...standard class 4 is just fine.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I've done some very quick and non-scientific tests with class 4,6 and 10 cards and different book sizes (.25-5MB). Basically I was unable to detect any noticeable differences at all on a PRS-505 and a PRS-950, so if the card is exclusively for your reader you can safely buy the cheapest/slowest one you can find.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If, however, you think you'll ever want to use the card in a camera, it is worth shelling out a bit more for a faster card. I made the mistake of trying to use a slow card in a camera, and it would only take a few seconds' worth of video before stopping the recording, because the card couldn't keep up with the data writing speed. Very annoying, especially since (naturally) I only discovered the problem when I first tried to use it for real!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Very true. Minimum speed for cameras with a video recording function is class 8 in my opinion (at least if the camera is fairly recent). And the price difference is hardly prohibitive.

However, if you're currently using an old, slow card and wonder if there's any point in buying a new one just for your reader: no there isn't.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote