Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
New Update available for the nook.

Update 1.2 is now available for the nook. The following is from the B&N nook board:

We're confirming that the nook 1.2 update is now available!

We continue to optimize nook software to give our customers a great reading experience. In this, our second software update since we shipped nook in early December 2009, we are providing an improved reading and in-store experience, all key areas that our customers noted. nook v 1.2 will be made available to customers in a seamless over the air (OTA) update over approximately the next week, beginning today, and immediately by manual download.

Q. What's new in V1.2?
nook V1.2 continues to improve nook performance to enhance the overall reading experience and in-store connectivity for nook customers to enjoy exclusive content and promotions in Barnes & Noble stores. Key updates include:
  • Enhanced in-store seamless connectivity to enjoy free Wi-Fi, with our More In Store content and promotions exclusively for nook owners.
  • Improved opening of eBooks and periodicals
  • Improved response to Reading Now & Settings buttons
  • Current reading page and bookmarks on all eBooks is properly saved when your nook is powered off
  • Bookmarks display page number
  • Eligible LendMe™ eBooks in My Library include a LendMe™ flag
  • Easier navigation of daily subscription with issues rolled into one folder
  • Improved “back” button functionality for navigating eBooks and periodicals
  • Personal files downloaded onto nook and displayed in My Documents can be sorted by author & title
  • Overall system improvements and battery optimization

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 02-05-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for the good news. I immediately update my firmware. Here is a quick finding:

1. new look on home menu
2. I can now register my Nook via home wifi (I'm not in US/Europe)!
3. Now my clock is correct!. It seems to sync with my home wifi clock?
4. You can now set your time zone.
5. All contents are still there after the upgrade
6. Great ebooks in my document can now sort by author or title
7. Now when you quit from your book, it returns to your book list (not to home menu)
8. The dictionary lookup is still same, no improvement at all.
9. Do not see any difference on speed.

About battery life, let's see whether it really improves.

So far, so good; and I'm quite happy that I can now register my Nook and have a correct clock time.

Last edited by bthoven; 02-05-2010 at 01:21 PM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I don't own a Nook, but I'm impressed that its firmware has already been updated. I wish sony would take a clue from this and update their firmware more often.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I wish sony would take a clue from this and update their firmware more often.
It will take B&N five more such "updates" to get to the level of usability the Sony firmware was at from the very first versions. So, I hope Sony doesn't take a clue, and doesn't start releasing devices with 0.1 firmware into the mass market.

Can anyone of the upgraders tell us if nook now has ability to:
1. move back in jump history
2. jump to a user-specified place in the file

Do these functions seem less important than whatever the heck they are doing to the look and feel of the menu?
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Have not had a chance to play with it yet but from what I have read the ability to jump to a user specified page is not there yet. I am glad to see the Title and Author sort in sideloaded content but would also like to sort by most recently read.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Does the touch screen work yet? Can you swipe pages?

I see on B/N that the nook is now listed as "in stock," which makes me wonder if all new nooks are shipping with 1.2

And if it's that big a difference from the reported errors here on MR and other websites. I'd love to put my Kindle to the pasture with all the nonsense AMZN has pulled lately...Nook would be my replacement.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I was able to swipe pages fine with 1.1.1 although some others were having trouble.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
I just installed the updated manually.

The swipe to turn pages seems to work better than before.
There is still NO way from the "go to" menu to jump to a non-chapter page.
It doesn't seem that much faster either.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
I had no problem swipeing pages. I have the feeling, now it is even easier. I think the sensitivity of the touch screen has improved.

Page turn is way faster now! That'S for shure.

Nice to be able to set a time zone.

Highlight and bookmark is still not working on mine.

Realy like the new firmware.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys. I may go back and check it out today or tomorrow. I'm hoping for the best.

Mos, what bookmark issues are you having? Does the nook still lose pages if you switch from one book to another? Or even reformat...again?
Old 02-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

jaxx6166. I never had any problems with bookmarks at all. Mine has never lost them, so I cannot say anything about it.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
keyrunner
keyrunner began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-505
New 1.2 Update is terrific.

Wow!!! The v. 1.2 update fixes both of my major problems with the Nook as originally shipped. You can now sort by Title or Author (now if there was just a quick way to navigate to a particular letter, the listing would be perfect). Additionally, the update appears to have totally fixed the problem of getting gibberish in reading at least the Title (but not author) part of many PDB books purchased from Ereader.com and Fictionwise.com, both now owned by B &N. I bought the Nook precisely because I had a large investment in DRMed PDB books from those two stores. In fact, I have been buying ebooks there since ereader.com was peanutpress.com. These always worked on the Nook, but you could not find them in the book list since their titles appeared as gibberish. Now they work well as long as you sort by Title and not Author!!!
keyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
evan2000
evan2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
There is a dictionary word look up??? Please tell me where/how?

-e
evan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #14
jaxx6166
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos View Post

Highlight and bookmark is still not working on mine.

Realy like the new firmware.
How does highlighting work or not work on the nook? Since everything is touch screen controlled, this seems a little complicated?

My last and final question for right now:

Did B/N fix the issue with naming books? I remember reading somewhere back that there was an issue with titles named similarly. "The Bourne..." series comes to mind. Also Dragonlance "Dragons of.."
Old 02-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #15
mos
Addict

@jaxx6166: You can add a highlight and a note. That was possible before too, but you still cannot find it again. When you are on the page, where the highlight is, you can see it.

But if you are on a different page and want to look up a highlight, it still jumps back to the previous menu. You cannot reacht your sub menu of the highlight menu. But I don't know, if everybody still has this problem. I do.