Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #16
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I would assume that for whatever reason (and there are a number of really good ones) the OP needs to use their finger to follow the words on the page in order to be able to read the text. They likely do the same with paper books.
Indeed. In my case, "tracking," ie, pointing at the words as you read them, is supposed to be helpful in teaching children to read, and I can see why.
I've been reading to my daughter at night on her Fire, and if my finger gets too close to the screen while I track for her, it gets annoying.
I would LOVE an illuminated eink reader with physical page turn buttons and a way to at least disable the touch screen.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 05-17-2013 at 02:50 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #17
antithesis
Avid reader
antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle DX White
Sorry for the necrobump, but new considerations are leading me to revive this topic. I was thinking, maybe there's a front-lit e-reader that doesn't quite have buttons, but does have the configurability to make it ignore key presses and swipes when you're reading a book? That way, I can still track (actually, I wouldn't call this "tracking", because this method works precisely because I'm forcing my eyes to focus on the point my finger is at; my focus is keeping track of my finger, not the other way around. But this is by the way.), while also having front-light. Best of both worlds. Does anyone know of such a device?

I'm very satisfied with my Kindle DX, but because of the large screen, it's also hard to find an attachable lamp that covers the whole screen.
antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesis View Post
I'm very satisfied with my Kindle DX, but because of the large screen, it's also hard to find an attachable lamp that covers the whole screen.
Try the belkin ebook reader light or belkin kindle (they are the same, just different names in onlineshops)

It should be good, if the back of the reader is relatively flat. It fits really good on my 9.7" Hanvon E920

Last edited by gamba66; 08-08-2013 at 11:11 AM.
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, there is this hack for the Kindle Touch: Kindle Untouchable.

It requires jailbreaking your Kindle and is supposed to disable the touchscreen so only the home button works (to turn the pages) which sounds like EXACTLY what you want.

Problem is, it doesn't say anything about working on the Paperwhite. It has only been tested, according to the author, on the Kindle Touch with firmware 5.1.x. You could try it anyway, I suppose, and tell us (and the author) if it works. Or fix it/get someone to fix it to work with the Paperwhite.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #20
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Well, there is this hack for the Kindle Touch: Kindle Untouchable.

It requires jailbreaking your Kindle and is supposed to disable the touchscreen so only the home button works (to turn the pages) which sounds like EXACTLY what you want.

Problem is, it doesn't say anything about working on the Paperwhite. It has only been tested, according to the author, on the Kindle Touch with firmware 5.1.x. You could try it anyway, I suppose, and tell us (and the author) if it works. Or fix it/get someone to fix it to work with the Paperwhite.
I don't think that would work for the Paperwhite, since there is no home button--the only button on it is the power button.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #21
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I don't think that would work for the Paperwhite, since there is no home button--the only button on it is the power button.

Shari
Good point, which I totally forgot. Dang that pesky weird trend!

Seriously, the lack of a home button is the one reason I refuse to get a Paperwhite. Obviously not for this reason...

If you want to code it yourself, the hack set the upper right corner to be touchable to deactivate the hack. You could modify the code so the upper LEFT corner acted as the "Home" button to turn the page.

Dunno if you're THAT interested though.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Seriously, the lack of a home button is the one reason I refuse to get a Paperwhite. Obviously not for this reason...
How often do you press it? I press mine about twice a week - when I finish one book and open the next.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #23
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesis View Post
Sorry for the necrobump, but new considerations are leading me to revive this topic. I was thinking, maybe there's a front-lit e-reader that doesn't quite have buttons, but does have the configurability to make it ignore key presses and swipes when you're reading a book? That way, I can still track (actually, I wouldn't call this "tracking", because this method works precisely because I'm forcing my eyes to focus on the point my finger is at; my focus is keeping track of my finger, not the other way around. But this is by the way.), while also having front-light. Best of both worlds. Does anyone know of such a device?

If you are willing to root your device you can get a nook glowlight and install coolreader on it. With coolreader you can disable touch completely or configure it to turn page only when you are touching a particular part of the screen or on a double tap or long press.
If you have an android phone you could try coolreader app on it
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How often do you press it? I press mine about twice a week - when I finish one book and open the next.
I read fast and have plenty of time to read also (at least in summer I did) and besides, I switch between books erratically. I also browse the Kindle Store and use the browser, more often than most, I would think, so I tend to rely on the home button a lot. But either way, it is still annoying. And the only advantage to the Paperwhite is the lit screen (the firmware on the Touch has just received ANOTHER update, giving the same search and sampling features that were -- for a short time -- unique to the Paperwhite).

I usually use my bedroom light.