Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
rustyw
rustyw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
MS Word7 to Mobi: Need help...

Hi!

The final (yeah right!) proofing of my book needs to be done on a kindle... corrections/comments done via 'kindle notes' (ideally for the convenience of the proofer). However, the way I'm converting it now will not allow placement of the kindle cursor on each word (or even sentence). I need a conversion path that will allow this. My current conversion path is:

1. Word7: Save as .odt
2. Use Calibre to convert to mobi

I've seen a 'host' of ways to convert. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!
Rusty
rustyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyw View Post
...My current conversion path is:

1. Word7: Save as .odt
2. Use Calibre to convert to mobi

I've seen a 'host' of ways to convert. Anyone have a suggestion?
It should work as well as any, in general.

The only thing I would add would be that if the conversion is flawed, I would then convert the .odt to ePub as an additional intermediary step and massage the flaws using Sigil, then convert that to the final MOBI.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Instead of saving to .odt you could save to .rtf and convert that with Calibre. Word 7 is a pretty old version of Word so maybe it's .odt is off a bit from what Calibre is expecting?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote