Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-14-2012, 03:20 AM   #1
darearkin
darearkin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Need help finding something new to read.

So, long story short, I've read almost every book I own to the point of memorization- from Terry Pratchett to Robert Heinlein to Michael Crichton to dozens others. And I really need something -new.- Something Sci Fi or Fantasy or similar.

And the new part for me: preferably, with some romance in it. I really hadn't been into that when I obtained most my books, so they're pretty bereft of it. Now, I'm not looking for anything sappy or overwhelming, just a plot thread or so. Present but not the -entire- focus of the book.

Help?

(So please no one mention twilight. I got eighty people telling me to read that from another forum. Whatever your views on that set- It just doesn't appeal to me. Sorry.)
darearkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:04 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by darearkin View Post
Something Sci Fi or Fantasy or similar.

And the new part for me: preferably, with some romance in it. I really hadn't been into that when I obtained most my books, so they're pretty bereft of it. Now, I'm not looking for anything sappy or overwhelming, just a plot thread or so. Present but not the -entire- focus of the book.
David Kitson: Turing Evolved
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/34627

Check it out. The price is $0.00
It does have some romance, but it is mostly a nice SciFi, with great combat scenes (not in outer space but here on Earth), lots of kick-ass military acronyms and a breakneck pace. Oh ... and several surprising twists before the book ends.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 04:07 AM   #3
darearkin

Woah. Not only an answer immediately, but what appears to be a great suggestion? Man did I find the right forum! Thank you!

If anyone else has any other suggestions, I'd -love- to hear them too!
Old 01-14-2012, 04:59 AM   #4
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Read women writers. That's naturally a generalisation but I've found in my reading of SFF that women writers are much more likely to have romantic thread plots than men. For specific suggestions:
Anne McCaffrey
Lois McMaster Bujold
Mercedes Lackey
SL Viehl
Elizabeth Moon
Guy Gavriel Kay (yes, male)
Tanya Huff
Catharine Asaro

Enjoy!
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
You might like the Green Rider series by Kristen Britain. I don't recall much romance in the first book but in the second onward there is a lot of angst over her lusting after this guy she can never have and another guy lusting after her and blah blah blah. It was a negative for me but might be the sort of thing you're looking for.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just started the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (13 books) myself (I'm on the second book) and I can higly recommend that!

Warning: It's addictive

Last edited by Joy736; 01-14-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Reading Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
I just started the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (13 books) myself (I'm on the second book) and I can higly recommend that!

Warning: It's addictive
to The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

And also The Star Svensdotter Series (a trilogy) by Dana Stabenow. When I read these I felt like I was reading 50's-70's Heinlein.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by darearkin View Post
If anyone else has any other suggestions, I'd -love- to hear them too!
If you are looking for a good paranormal series with a bit of romance built-in, have a look at this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150124

By the way ...
Scroll to the top of this very page and click at the E-Books link.
Lots and lots of *perfectly* formatted e-books ready for immediate download. Much of it public domain stuff, the rest are books that can be distributed for free.

EDIT:
Ooops. Looks like I was 4 minutes late with my suggestion. I swear the above post wasn't there when I clicked on "Reply" ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
Tessie6
Connoisseur
Tessie6 doesn't litterTessie6 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS505
Sharon Lee and Steve Miller

The Liaden series - new culture=intrigueing characters
Tessie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Reading Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
to The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

And also The Star Svensdotter Series (a trilogy) by Dana Stabenow. When I read these I felt like I was reading 50's-70's Heinlein.
The first book in The Star Svensdotter Series, Second Star is available in both Epub & Mobi formats uncontaminated by DRM for free here.

Quote:
From stabenow.com

Star Svensdotter is building a habitat for a space colony in Terra-Luna-Sol orbit at Lagrange Five, and she’s by God going to finish it on schedule, no matter how often fanatical Luddites, Space Patrol generals, Terran Alliance bureaucrats and her sister Charlie try to get in the way. You hear?

I wrote this book in response to the Challenger blowing up, a story about a space program that worked. Rage is a great motivator. I love you-are-there books, and I especially love you-are-there-in-space books. The first sf I ever read was Between Planets by Robert Heinlein. Man, I so wanted to be Don Harvey. I sure as hell didn’t want to be `whither-thou-goest Isobel,’ but that’s a topic for another day.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
darearkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tch65721 View Post
You might like the Green Rider series by Kristen Britain. I don't recall much romance in the first book but in the second onward there is a lot of angst over her lusting after this guy she can never have and another guy lusting after her and blah blah blah. It was a negative for me but might be the sort of thing you're looking for.

See, that's the thing. Unresolved Angst isn't romance, it's just... Angst. That's not really what I'm after... I'd probably have had the same reaction as you.

Thanks to everyone who's suggested! I'm taking notes, and should have a nice collection soon!
Old 01-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessie6 View Post
Sharon Lee and Steve Miller

The Liaden series - new culture=intrigueing characters
Absolutely. Excellent choice. The Liaden Universe(r) is among my favourite series, and in large part because there is some romance in virtually all of them. Plus they're very well written.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #13
aquabel
Book Lover
aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Hi,

It's a bit of an older series, but how about The Banned and the Banished series by James Clemens? I really liked the books, they're great fantasy, with a little bit of romance thrown in, but not too much. The books are:

Wit'ch Fire
Wit'ch Storm
Wit'ch War
Wit'ch Gate
Wit'ch Star

If you're wanting something a little lighter, I also enjoyed the Weather Warden series by Rachael Caine, the first is called Ill Wind. It's Urban Fantasy, with romance, and good, fun stories that rip right along.
aquabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. You'll love it, even if the English is a little more complex than you're used to.

Adventure, love, betrayal, action, plot twists, this book has it all. Truly deserving of it's classic status.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #15
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. You'll love it, even if the English is a little more complex than you're used to.

Adventure, love, betrayal, action, plot twists, this book has it all. Truly deserving of it's classic status.
I reread it a few months ago. It was as good as I remembered.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote