Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #136
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Sigh. My iPad Air 3G 128GB Successfuly updated to iOS8, but Kobo app 7.4 won't install properly -- alone out of the dozens of apps that I've updated. It stays dim on. The home screen, and touching it causes the installation spinner to cycle around and then stop with the app still uninstalled. app version 7.4 did install just fine on my iPhone 5s. Anybody else seeing this on an iPad?
That's very bizarre. Can you try restarting the iPad and see if that makes any difference at all.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #137
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Restarting the iPad doesn't fix it. And since the app isn't fully installed, holding down any icon causes other removable app icons to jiggle, but not the Kobo one -- so I can't just delete and reinstall.

Last edited by RobertJSawyer; 09-20-2014 at 05:46 PM.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #138
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Fixed. I guessed that it was an incompatibility with the Swype keyboard app, since that one interacts with other applications, using the new iOS 8 third-party keyboard handler. Deleting Swype then deleting Kobo then reinstalling Kobo did the trick. I haven't tried reinstalling the Swype app yet.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #139
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for trying the restart and the additional info on Swype. I will give that a try on Monday and see if there is some kind of incompatibility there. I'll post back if I see anything.

If you do reinstall and see issues, drop me a Private Message.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #140
Sharkus
Evangelist

Kobo v7.4.2 for iOS is now available in the App Store

Kobo v7.4.2 for iOS is now available in the App Store

What's New
1. Support for both iOS 7 and iOS 8.
2. Bug fixes and general improvements.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:22 AM   #141
Docno
Connoisseur
Docno has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad2
This iPad specific thread has gone quiet but I still have a couple of wishlist features:

1. show my own ratings with each of my books. I sometimes like to go back to books that I've finished, and it would be useful to see the star ratings I've given these books.

2. provide a backup for the shelf structure. I recently my shelves in an upgrade and had to spend a long time reorganising everything. Level 1 support says it's not possible to save/backup shelves, but I'm not convinced since my app seemed to go back to an early version of my shelf organisation.
Docno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:57 AM   #142
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docno View Post
2. provide a backup for the shelf structure. I recently my shelves in an upgrade and had to spend a long time reorganising everything. Level 1 support says it's not possible to save/backup shelves, but I'm not convinced since my app seemed to go back to an early version of my shelf organisation.
That isn't correct. The shelves are shared through the Kobo server to the other devices. I've never created a shelf in the iOS app, but I have all those that are on my Glo.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #143
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That isn't correct. The shelves are shared through the Kobo server to the other devices. I've never created a shelf in the iOS app, but I have all those that are on my Glo.
The shelves sync from the Glo to the server (and out to iOS), but if you create one in an iOS app does IT (the newly created shelf) sync to the server? Something makes me think maybe they don't, but I could be wrong .
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #144
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
The shelves sync from the Glo to the server (and out to iOS), but if you create one in an iOS app does IT (the newly created shelf) sync to the server? Something makes me think maybe they don't, but I could be wrong .
I hadn't tried before, but it seems to work. In fact, I've done a three-way test with the iOS app on my iPad, the Android app on my phone and my Glo. The shelves I created on the iPad and phone appeared on the other and the Glo after some syncs. The only problem I had was that I'm not sure when the iOS app syncs and I didn't get the shelf created there the first time I synced the Glo.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:29 PM   #145
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Yes, if a shelf is created on iOS then it will be synced to the server. Providing of course you happen to have an internet connection at that point. If you don't, then the next time you sync the library with an active internet connection, the shelves will also sync.

The same behaviour should be true of the other devices and apps, if you create a shelf and sync, up it goes, and thus when you sync on another device, the new shelf will appear.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:34 PM   #146
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
I hadn't tried before, but it seems to work. In fact, I've done a three-way test with the iOS app on my iPad, the Android app on my phone and my Glo. The shelves I created on the iPad and phone appeared on the other and the Glo after some syncs. The only problem I had was that I'm not sure when the iOS app syncs and I didn't get the shelf created there the first time I synced the Glo.
I'd need to sit and debug the iOS app to see *exactly* when the shelf is synced, but it will either be as soon as you click OK after entering the name of the shelf, or as soon as you click the "save" / "done" button on the editing screen.

When you sync the library, we also check make a call to sync the shelves, in case any changes happened on another device.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:16 PM   #147
Docno
Connoisseur
Docno has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad2
Hmmmm... all very interesting. Thank you for the replies. I had a sense that the shelves do back up, but perhaps imperfectly at times. I also have Kobo on my Android phone, and the shelves partially replicate there, though I get multiple shelves with the same name with different sets of books in them. Clearly something is being sent back to the server regarding shelf structure, and I'm not crazy. However, this is the reply that I got from Kobo:

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care. We are sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Unfortunately, the shelf structure cannot be backed up.

We’re always looking for ways to improve our service and products so we truly value your feedback.

Your suggestion will be forwarded to the Kobo Development Team for consideration.
Docno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:52 AM   #148
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Syncing annotations

It appears that annotations made in the iOS app are synced to the ereaders and Android app, but not from the ereader or Android app to the iOS app. This was raised in Kobo Annotations sync not working which includes some testing I did.

Is this as designed or have I made a mistake in my testing?
Old 03-02-2015, 09:32 PM   #149
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
It appears that annotations made in the iOS app are synced to the ereaders and Android app, but not from the ereader or Android app to the iOS app. This was raised in Kobo Annotations sync not working which includes some testing I did.

Is this as designed or have I made a mistake in my testing?
I believe the annotation sync happens in conjunction with the library refresh. That happens automatically on cold start of the app, or resuming that app after it has been backgrounded for 5 minutes or more. In addition, it should also attempt to sync if you manually refresh the library (pull down from below the menu bar - pull to refresh is the usual terminology).

I'm trying to recall if the annotation sync is ignored in certain situations. I know some of the other social items are, once refreshed, not requested again for a period of time. I know I should know what, and the frequency of when this happens, but I cannot off the top of my head.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:01 PM   #150
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
I believe the annotation sync happens in conjunction with the library refresh. That happens automatically on cold start of the app,
I discovered the when I got home and did more testing.
Quote:
or resuming that app after it has been backgrounded for 5 minutes or more.
I don't think I left it alone long enough for that to kick in when I was testing.
Quote:
In addition, it should also attempt to sync if you manually refresh the library (pull down from below the menu bar - pull to refresh is the usual terminology).

I'm trying to recall if the annotation sync is ignored in certain situations. I know some of the other social items are, once refreshed, not requested again for a period of time. I know I should know what, and the frequency of when this happens, but I cannot off the top of my head.
I'm pretty sure the "pull to refresh" didn't sync the annotations. So, maybe it is like the social items. When I get a chance I'll do a more controlled test.