Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Smile Sony Readers and their Star Trek counterparts

A silly thought occurred to me out of the blue; Each model in the Sony Readers series can be compared to a Star Trek television series.

PRS-500 is like The Original Series: Boldly going...

PRS-505 is like The Next Generation: A well respected fan favorite

PRS-700 is like Enterprise: Didn't last very long, possibly due to lack of consumer interest

PRS-300 is like The Animated Series: Low budget, with less bells and whistles

PRS-600 is like Voyager: A sleek new look, with decent technological advancements. Yet many still prefer the previously mentioned fan favorite

PRS-900 is like Deep Space Nine: Quite different from the others, with the action being more centralized. Need I mention the "9" connection?

Note: Due to the high silliness content of this thread, I thought the Lounge would be a more appropriate home than the Sony forums. Also, this is in no way intended to put down any Sony Reader models in particular, as I think they're all great. Keep it sillly, please.
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
OhBOY, imagine the possibilities if only I could set it to "stun"........
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
OhBOY, imagine the possibilities if only I could set it to "stun"........
Hmm... now that I think of it, the pads that they use in the later Star Trek series greatly resemble our electronic readers. And since in Star Trek they're always modifying their equipment so that it can perform some extraordinary task in order to get them out of some dangerous situation or other, I'm sure that they would have no trouble modifying their "readers" to simulate a phaser that is set to stun.

Not sure if we would be able to pull it off with our own readers though. Maybe a stun setting would be a good feature to request for future models.

What am I saying... I find my 505 to be quite "stunning" as it is
Old 12-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Okay, if you're tired of this from me, I apologize. But when Sony switched to epub, is that when they started showing all the reruns in black and white? I can only say that Counselor Troi and Fourteen-of-Eleventy just don't look as hot any more.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Does this mean the Sony readers are the only readers capable of reversing the polarity of the warp field generators on the fly? That might remove e-book DRM, provided the e-books aren't rotating their shield frequencies...

This should also mean they are capable of tapping into local fluctuations of the space-time continuum, recording thousands of years of living history, and thereby recording old books to be read back at leisure...

But if an accidental overload, alien incursion or drunk ensign locked in Engineering releases the safety protocol interlocks, better drop that thing and run!

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 12-23-2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: What? "Star Trek"? Never heard of it.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Does this mean the Sony readers are the only readers capable of reversing the polarity of the warp field generators on the fly?
Yes. Precisely.

Quote:
That might remove e-book DRM, provided the e-books aren't rotating their shield frequencies...
If so, that could be rectified by a well timed tachyon burst from a modified tricorder.

Quote:
This should also mean they are capable of tapping into local fluctuations of the space-time continuum, recording thousands of years of living history, and thereby recording old books to be read back at leisure...
Correct. That's why I bought mine.

Quote:
But if something releases the safety protocol interlocks, better drop that thing and run!
Until I get a reader with a plastic substrate screen, I will take my chances on putting it down gently with the cover safely closed before running for the airlocks.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Okay, if you're tired of this from me, I apologize. But when Sony switched to epub, is that when they started showing all the reruns in black and white? I can only say that Counselor Troi and Fourteen-of-Eleventy just don't look as hot any more.
I suppose that for those who are of the opinion that Sony's switch to epub was a bad thing, then the Star Trek equivalent might have been when the producers tried to do too much (for example, trying to keep multiple series going at once) leading to an overall reduction in writing quality, and, sadly, the eventual cancellation of the show.

Oh well, better to watch Fourteen-of-Eleventy in black and white reruns then not get to see Forteen-of-Eleventy at all
Old 12-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziguezon View Post
Not sure if we would be able to pull it off with our own readers though. Maybe a stun setting would be a good feature to request for future models.
No need to mod the reader. The "stun" setting is entirely a matter of the content stored on the reader...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
No need to mod the reader. The "stun" setting is entirely a matter of the content stored on the reader...
______
Dennis
Agreed. It only takes a couple of pages from certain "classics" at night to knock me out for hours. Very powerful.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
LRX is like watching the latest Star Trek movie on a 12" B&W TV with AM radio quality sound. ePub is like watching the latest Star Trek movie in IMAX.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
LRX is like watching the latest Star Trek movie on a 12" B&W TV with AM radio quality sound. ePub is like watching the latest Star Trek movie in IMAX.
Pfffftttt!!!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #12
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
You know, my favourite star trek series' happen to coincide with the sony models that appeal to me the most: my favourite is next gerenation (and I own the 505), my second favourite is deep space nine (and I would love to get a prs 900), and I hold a special place in my heart for the animated series (I really would love a prs 300, even though I REALLY don't need it; My face lights up when I see a picture of it, though, I love the design). You might be onto something...
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Beam me up Scottie
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #14
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
You might be onto something...
I like to think so. The only discrepancy is that the order in which they were released don't match up. If they did, it could be the start of a new internet legend, like that Dark Side of the Moon / Wizard of Oz thing.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziguezon View Post
I like to think so. The only discrepancy is that the order in which they were released don't match up. If they did, it could be the start of a new internet legend, like that Dark Side of the Moon / Wizard of Oz thing.
That's not a legend, but it is a fact. When this first came out, our local comedy club sold tix and did it. We got there with plenty of time to get buzzed with an opening act, and then they started the movie and music. Astounding!

One MUST be drunk first in order to let the music and movie meld properly.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
star trek