Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
0.1-beta2

Right after beta1, 0.1-beta2 is released with numerous fixes for bugs found during the testing (many thanks to the-ebook.org users!).

Changes since 0.1-beta1:
* zipped firmware files are added to tar.bz2-ed
* directories are sorted before files
* fb2 files with several authors are handled correctly
* live version now uses .exe.fb2 startup file instead of .exe.txt (compatibility with firmware versions which do not use CoolReafer for .txt files)
* margins and tab indent settings are added to FBReader
* No more mouse cursor
* Fixed FBReader crash on .fb2 files with quetionable formatting of footnotes
* Removed useless "unknown author" and "folder" text labels

Known problems (to be fixed in 0.1):
* SD card eject sometimes results in device lookup
Known problems (to be fixed in 0.2):
* live version sometimes hangs
* Changing language in bookshelf does not work
* Clock can't be set up
* Series name and number in series of .fb2 file are not displayed in bookshelf

User's guide: http://openinkpot.org/wiki/InstallationGuide
Installation guide: http://openinkpot.org/wiki/UsersGuide

Downloads: http://openinkpot.org/pub/releases/0.1/beta2/

Last edited by dottedmag; 10-07-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:17 AM   #2
rjh
Connoisseur
rjh doesn't litterrjh doesn't litter

Device: TungstenT3 Nokia770 BeBook
Excellent! Been waiting for support of the 512MB devices, just downloaded, installed on to my existing SD card (live SD version), ran the script and up and running with no issues. This is very easy.

This is looking very good, nice clean interface and the ability to manage documents on the device. I can now delete files after I've read them.

Still early work, and a little slow at present, but definitely worth having a play with this.
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 04:55 AM   #3
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
Now, be gently with me.

I have a Cybook. Can I use this soft/firmware on my reader?

Why would I want to?
Old 10-10-2008, 05:01 AM   #4
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbbb View Post
Now, be gently with me.

I have a Cybook. Can I use this soft/firmware on my reader?

Why would I want to?
Short answer, No.

Currently openinkpot only works on Hanlin V3 and rebrands thereof.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:32 AM   #5
sorareader
sorareader began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh View Post
This is looking very good, nice clean interface and the ability to manage documents on the device I can now delete files after I've read them..
Really cooooool feature!! I have been missing it in the original firmware since the first day.
Advert
Old 10-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
quickhand
Connoisseur
quickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheese

Device: Hanlin V3, Sony prs-505, Hanwang n516
Hi. I'm the main developer for Madshelf. Many people have been clamoring for a delete function (I have no use for it myself, but it seems a popular request), so I'm glad you like it. If you have any other feature requests, let me know. As for cybook support, it is in progress and already quite far along (Madshelf is ready, the rest of OI nearly so).

As for the question "why would I want to [install OI on Cybook]?", the answer is simple: because soon it will do everything that cybook's firmware does and more, and the things that cybook's firmware already does, OI will do better. That, and it's open, so it is fully customizable. So the question will soon be:
Why would I keep cybook's limited original firmware?

Cheers!
Old 10-11-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickhand View Post
because soon it will do everything that cybook's firmware does and more, and the things that cybook's firmware already does, OI will do better.
Does that include support for mobiDRM? What about other DRM formats?

Quote:
That, and it's open, so it is fully customizable. So the question will soon be:
I considered putting Rockbox on my iPod gen 4. While it did do things that my iPod didn't do, for example play flac and ogg... it did nothing that I "wanted". So, I saw no reason to install it. I would have the same answer for CyBook base firmware. If it does everything you want there would be no reason to put another firmware on it.

Anyway... I tried to see what madshelf was and did. I went here but it didn't really tell me anything... Is there an documentation? A list of features at least?

Thanks.

BOb
Old 10-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #8
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Hi. I'm the main developer for Madshelf. Many people have been clamoring for a delete function (I have no use for it myself, but it seems a popular request), so I'm glad you like it. If you have any other feature requests, let me know. As for cybook support, it is in progress and already quite far along (Madshelf is ready, the rest of OI nearly so).

As for the question "why would I want to [install OI on Cybook]?", the answer is simple: because soon it will do everything that cybook's firmware does and more, and the things that cybook's firmware already does, OI will do better. That, and it's open, so it is fully customizable. So the question will soon be:

Cheers!
Will it be able to read Mobipocket DRM-protected books, without the need of using potentially illegal tools to strip protection? Original firmware does that.

Also, isn't Cybook version development is now on hold indefinitely, as Cybook version developer's Cybook broke and he's waiting for any information from Booken concerning replacing it?

How will OI handle PDF files? Will it reflow PDF text like Sony Reader does, or will it allow zooming, but keep PDF in original proportions, like Cybook original firmware does?

Does OI's PDF reader handle technical documents as well as Cybook original firmware already?

Or, in other words, how soon is soon?
Old 10-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
Will it be able to read Mobipocket DRM-protected books, without the need of using potentially illegal tools to strip protection? Original firmware does that.
Does OI's PDF reader handle technical documents as well as Cybook original firmware already?

Or, in other words, how soon is soon?
Actually, I looked at the web site... I had similar questions. I could be wrong but from what I read OI is the basic OS/kernal which applications are written on top of. Madshelf is the file/ebook browser (I think) while there is a reader, which I think is FBReader.

But I would love to hear more details about this, and how it works. The Wiki is pretty sparse.

BOb
Old 10-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Moving files would be a good feature. I usually move the books I have read to a special dirctory.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Anyway... I tried to see what madshelf was and did. I went here but it didn't really tell me anything... Is there an documentation? A list of features at least?
It has directory support that works pretty well also on the Cybook. Since I do not use DRM:ed files the directory support is enough for me to switch to OI when it is reasonable stable and works on the Cybook.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #12
quickhand
Connoisseur
quickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheese

Device: Hanlin V3, Sony prs-505, Hanwang n516
Moving, copying, deleting files: they are all already implemented and stable. Madshelf reads tags from different formats and does all sorts of other nifty stuff. It is also skinable.
PDF support is on its way - MadPDF is already working (I'm the main dev on that one, too). MadPDF will have panning, zooming, dynamic trimming; it will be a PDF reader/viewer fully adapted to eink readers.
For the DRM stuff, that's not my department. The IRC channel (#openinkpot on OFTC) is a good place to ask questions.

But this is a community project, so join the community to get the specific features you want!

Note: if you want to help develop apps, it is possible to develop on your desktop machine, using EFL (the Enlightenment Foundation Libraries), which means you don't have to necessarily know about cross-compiling and other advanced things.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But this is a community project, so join the community to get the specific features you want!

Note: if you want to help develop apps, it is possible to develop on your desktop machine, using EFL (the Enlightenment Foundation Libraries), which means you don't have to necessarily know about cross-compiling and other advanced things.
I started to join in this but got distracted by deadlines in the work that pays the salary. But I will return to OI soon...

And as quickhand says, it is easy to join if you want to develop application. For me irc and git that was the only new things I had to read about.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:50 AM   #14
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
quickhand

By your description, at the PDF level reflowing the text is not contemplated.
Did I understand that correctly?

Best regards,
Old 10-12-2008, 08:18 AM   #15
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Questions "is FOO planned" or "will it support BAR" are meaningless. Best answers are "who cares?" and "probably, if you implement it".

OI will have all the functionality that is implemented by volunteers (volunteers from the project point of view - they can be paid by some other organization to work on OpenInkpot), and plans change quickly.