Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 03:18 AM   #1
jrr
jrr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
"28, No space left on device" - memory card, unable to fill it!

Running Calibre 0.7.27 under OSX 10.6.5 Sony PRS-505, and I am only able to load 196 authors (816 titles) onto a memory card and then Calibre stops with a warning that says '(28, No space left on device)'. However the card still shows 1.59GB available in 'Finder' and Calibre shows 1.4GB available when the card image is moused over...
I've tried a couple of different capacity memory cards with the same results for example I also get the same results with a 1GB card, only about 500MB storage and then the error message (28, No space...).

The PRS-505 has version 1.1.00.18040 firmware - it does say that it is not authorized for the eBook Store nor Adobe DRM, I don't think that matters though.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
jrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:21 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you most probably need to reformat the card with a FAT32 filesystem. Ask if you dont know how to do that and hopefully someone with more OS X knowledge than I will be able to help you.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
To expand a bit on what Kovid said: most of the smaller memory cards come formatted FAT-16. The 4GB and up may be FAT-32, but I'm not even sure of that. In any event, those place a hard limit on the number of files that can be put in various directories, so they read as "full" (of file handles) when they're not actually full of data. The solution is, as Kovid said, is to reformat the card as FAT-32. Unfortunately, I'm a Windows user, so I'm not sure how you'd go about it; hopefully someone else will chime in if you don't know already.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The limit on FAT16 systems normally only applies to the number of files/folders that can be held at the root directory level, and not to sub-folders. Therefore in the case mentioned if the reader will support books being an additional directory level down then this is probably the easiest way to resolve the issue.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
jrr
jrr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks for the reply Kovid (and others), formatting the memory cards in FAT 32 fixed the problem! As far as I can tell these cards need to be formatting on a PC based machine (or virtual PC under Fusion/Parallels) as the FAT option under Disk Utility for OSX does not state if it is FAX16 or FAT 32 - I would assume it is FAT16, but did not try that as I have an XP virtual machine...

John :-#)#
jrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert