Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #16
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
1) Was the epub you could open faster using the kobo reader a kepub by chance?
Koreader has settings for the density, as well. Plus you can use a font that is already more dense.

7) My HD has no yellowing with the frontlight. From the postings I think it may have been a problem for a limited batch.

8) There are posts that describe how to disable those.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #17
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Koreader has settings for the density, as well. Plus you can use a font that is already more dense.

7) My HD has no yellowing with the frontlight. From the postings I think it may have been a problem for a limited batch.

Luck;
Ken
1) I will first have to find out what kepub is. Will get back to that.
7) I wonder if you are kind enough to post two pictures of your screen with the frontlight on? One at 30% and one at 100% in complete darkness - so I can compare with my screen? The user-uploaded photos I found online all have the yellowing. In one review video on youtube I didn't see the yellowing but the reviewer said it had a little yellowing in person but the camera couldn't catch it. In fact, I just saw photos of the new Aura, which was said having evener frontlight. These photos of the Aura show similar noticeable yellowing (at least on my low-end computer screen) as on my Aura HD.
8) I will search for those posts.

Thank you.

Last edited by jshzh; 11-06-2013 at 04:10 PM.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #18
ACGT
ACGT began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hi jshzh,

Thank you for taking the time to share your advices. Look like Koreader would be a good fit for my daughter. Her university course books are in PDF.

Which store in Toronto selling the Kobo with discount? And what is the "new Aura"? I suppose the new version has an indication on the barcode sticker, something like Aura HD version 2?
ACGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #19
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
[QUOTE=jshzh;2678253]1)

7) CON: the upper 1/3-1/2 portion of the HD screen is noticeably yellowish when the frontlight is on. I checked many online photos and some youtube videos. It seems to be a rather consistent problem. I guess the new Aura may be a bit better because the screen size is smaller: the light travels less from the bottom to the top. Or maybe the new Aura has light sources on both ends? I don't know.
/QUOTE

Kobo Glo with early owners had complaints light was blue and a little too bright at lowest setting. With later production the glow light became less cold blue to now having warm yellow cast more like incandesant light. Can't please everyone.

For more even glow light original glow was very even. Maybe a better difusion layer and quality control is needed on the 6" Aura. With past models we have seen improvements over time without model changes.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #20
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACGT View Post
Hi jshzh,

Thank you for taking the time to share your advices. Look like Koreader would be a good fit for my daughter. Her university course books are in PDF.

Which store in Toronto selling the Kobo with discount? And what is the "new Aura"? I suppose the new version has an indication on the barcode sticker, something like Aura HD version 2?
You are welcome. Actually I think textbooks with columns also work well as many ereader support read in columns but not those with a lot of graphics. In fact, if the instructor doesn't say the students must use the newest editions, I would suggest that students buy second-hand textbooks of older editions. You can order from U.S. online second-hand bookstores - much cheaper than in Canada because of the population and better post service. Most books are under 7 dollars after shipping to Canada, which of course takes 2-3 weeks for the low postage. It is always easier to go through pages (really study back and forth the pages with a physical book!

By "new Aura" I meant the "Aura" that had come out in Sept - 6", lower resolution, smaller size. It is just called "Aura", instead of "Aura HD".

The store is TECHSOURCE 1012 GERRARD STREET TORONTO, only this location and no online sale. The device comes new in box with warranty but my receipt says all sales are final, no refund. So be cautious! With stores like Bestbuy, you can easily return and exchange at the store. Their ad on Kijiji says it is a one day blowout but I have seen the ad since I bought mine on 27th, Oct. Look for the ad and call first.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #21
jshzh
Addict

[QUOTE=filmo;2678371]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
1)

7) CON: the upper 1/3-1/2 portion of the HD screen is noticeably yellowish when the frontlight is on. I checked many online photos and some youtube videos. It seems to be a rather consistent problem. I guess the new Aura may be a bit better because the screen size is smaller: the light travels less from the bottom to the top. Or maybe the new Aura has light sources on both ends? I don't know.
/QUOTE

Kobo Glo with early owners had complaints light was blue and a little too bright at lowest setting. With later production the glow light became less cold blue to now having warm yellow cast more like incandesant light. Can't please everyone.

For more even glow light original glow was very even. Maybe a better difusion layer and quality control is needed on the 6" Aura. With past models we have seen improvements over time without model changes.
Thanks. I don't mind the warmer shade - it is easier on my eyes but the yellowish tint on the top sometimes distracts me. Is there a way to tell when a device was manufactured/assembled without opening the case?

Last edited by jshzh; 11-06-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #22
jshzh
Addict

Quote:

Luck;
Ken
Hi, Ken,
1) It is not a Kepub file made for Kobo. It also opens very fast on my old Pocketbook 602. Can I send it to your email if you are interested in trying it.
2) Should I follow the description in "How to disable Google Analytics on the Kobo Touch"? Does it work for the Aura HD?
Thank you.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #23
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi, Ken,
1) It is not a Kepub file made for Kobo. It also opens very fast on my old Pocketbook 602. Can I send it to your email if you are interested in trying it.
2) Should I follow the description in "How to disable Google Analytics on the Kobo Touch"? Does it work for the Aura HD?
Thank you.
Ok just how big is it? Email has restrictions on the size of attachments.

All that it should be doing for Google Analytics is to have your kobo device think that the google.com host has a local loop as its url. It should work for the AuraHD as well. I have it on mine.

The other thing I do would only work for others like myself who have no need for Kobo's "Rewards" or statistics or syncing of ebooks. That is to zero out my Account, by editing "KoboReader.sqlite" "user". The added benefit being that I don't have to go through the setup with Kobo's servers, to be able to use my device after a factory reset.

Luck;
Ken
Old 11-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #24
ACGT

Quote:
By "new Aura" I meant the "Aura" that had come out in Sept - 6", lower resolution, smaller size. It is just called "Aura", instead of "Aura HD".
Oh that 6" Aura is newer? It has smaller screen an a lower resolution, just for $20 cheaper. I find it's not worth it. I wonder who would pick this model over the HD.

Quote:
The store is TECHSOURCE 1012 GERRARD STREET TORONTO, only this location and no online sale. The device comes new in box with warranty but my receipt says all sales are final, no refund. So be cautious! With stores like Bestbuy, you can easily return and exchange at the store. Their ad on Kijiji says it is a one day blowout but I have seen the ad since I bought mine on 27th, Oct. Look for the ad and call first.
I don't trust too much this kind of store. However, it won't hurt to have a look.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I wonder who would pick this model over the HD.
For a lot of people smaller and lighter is what they look for in a portable reader. Also some may want the Aura's capacitive touch as opposed to the Aura HD's IR touch.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #26
ACGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
For a lot of people smaller and lighter is what they look for in a portable reader. Also some may want the Aura's capacitive touch as opposed to the Aura HD's IR touch.
What is the practical difference between capacitive touch vs IR touch? In terms of responsiveness and durability in time.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #27
jshzh
Addict

Quote:
Ok just how big is it? Email has restrictions on the size of attachments.

All that it should be doing for Google Analytics is to have your kobo device think that the google.com host has a local loop as its url. It should work for the AuraHD as well. I have it on mine.

The other thing I do would only work for others like myself who have no need for Kobo's "Rewards" or statistics or syncing of ebooks. That is to zero out my Account, by editing "KoboReader.sqlite" "user". The added benefit being that I don't have to go through the setup with Kobo's servers, to be able to use my device after a factory reset.

Luck;
Ken
It is 3.04M - should be fine with most emails. In fact, I often find some epub files open more slowly than scanned pdfs on ereaders. I thought epub should work faster because it is a "true" ebook format. It may open faster from the second time on (?) but I haven't tried - the device appeared to be dead for a few minutes before the book opened for the first time. How can I send the file to you?

I don't need Kobo's "rewards" or "statistics" and I only have side-loaded books. I don't mind getting rid of the facebook icon as well. So I guess I am ready to edit the "user" . Where can I find a tutorial on that? Does this configuration affect downloading articles saved by Pocket and the wikipedia and google options inside a book?

Last edited by jshzh; 11-06-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #28
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Capacitive touch does not work in cold weather when your wearing normal gloves. This does not matter much with eink screens because it stops working in cold. IR touch does not affect screen clarity and contrast. This is why it is used with ereaders as early eink screens had poorer contrast. Both type of screens can have multi touch gestures. Sony tried front light on one reader and it reduced contrast and made screen yellow. Better eink screens, light defusers and touch screens reduce or eliminate these problems.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #29
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
It is 3.04M - should be fine with most emails. In fact, I often find some epub files open more slowly than scanned pdfs on ereaders. I thought epub should work faster because it is a "true" ebook format. It may open faster from the second time on (?) but I haven't tried - the device appeared to be dead for a few minutes before the book opened for the first time. How can I send the file to you?

I don't need Kobo's "rewards" or "statistics" and I only have side-loaded books. I don't mind getting rid of the facebook icon as well. So I guess I am ready to edit the "user" . Where can I find a tutorial on that? Does this configuration affect downloading articles saved by Pocket and the wikipedia and google options inside a book?
Three MB is a large epub, I have made anthologies of 3 or 4 novels that were smaller. PM sent.

From an old post of tshering;
there are several explanations at this forum. I cannot find them myself right now. Anyway,
in order to initialize the reader without registering you can add a new line to the "user" table of the database. Fill in any fitting values. Depending on your reset firmware version, the number of values varies.
Example for FW 1.9.12:

Code:
INSERT INTO user VALUES ("0", "0", "0", "0", "0");Example for FW 2.5.0:

Code:
INSERT INTO user VALUES ("0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0","false")

I think you use the SQLite Database Browser. Right? Open the database file "KoboReader.sqlite". Select "Browse Data" and choose the table "user". Look at line 1 and try to establish whether the values of one of the two examples might fit or whether you have to make some modifications. I guess the second example might be correct for the Mini. Choose Execute SQL, enter the command "INSERT INTO user VALUES ..." and press "Execute query".
I can only confirm that the values work for FW 1.9.12. I did not try it with more recent firmwares. If the reader does not accept your values, you can try replacing them by others (maybe the email address must look like an email address, e.g. name@xmail.com, or something like that).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tshering

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/

Luck;
Ken
Old 11-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #30
jshzh
Addict

Quote:
Oh that 6" Aura is newer? It has smaller screen an a lower resolution, just for $20 cheaper. I find it's not worth it. I wonder who would pick this model over the HD.
People use these devices in different ways for different purposes. In addition, we often don't make "rational decisions". Look how some people fetishize every new model of iphone.

ACGT: I don't trust too much this kind of store. However, it won't hurt to have a look.

I don't either. I took the risk as I couldn't justify paying the full price for a new toy while 1) my old reader still fully functional after about 3 years except that the mechanic button is a little less responsive now 2) these devices have built-in obsolescence 3) I predict the regular on-sale price won't go (much) lower than 120$ within 6 months. I made a mistake in my last response. The Touch was 50% off after TWO years of release not ONE. I wouldn't buy a device after more than one year of release no matter how good the price is.

Last edited by jshzh; 11-06-2013 at 11:02 PM.