Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-09-2007, 12:05 PM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
What tax refund?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm sure that magogo will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that he may be referring to the fact that, throughout Europe if you, as a non-European tourist, buy something, you can claim back the VAT (sales tax) when you go home. This can be pretty significant, since VAT is between 16% and 25% of the item price in different parts of Europe.

Unfortunately that's not the way it works in the US. No refund of sales tax for tourists .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #18
magogo
magogo began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
I'm sure that magogo will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that he may be referring to the fact that, throughout Europe if you, as a non-European tourist, buy something, you can claim back the VAT (sales tax) when you go home. This can be pretty significant, since VAT is between 16% and 25% of the item price in different parts of Europe.

Unfortunately that's not the way it works in the US. No refund of sales tax for tourists .
Thank you for the info, Harry. I mean sales tax for tourists. Anyway, US sales tax is much lower than Europe.
magogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:51 PM   #19
Lin
Lin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
One way that I've found to avoid paying certain sales taxes when visiting the US, is to order things online prior to my trip, and have them shipped to my hotel.

My main purpose has not really been to avoid the sales tax. I do it because most of the time I know I will not have time to go out shopping. Besides, when I'm not renting a car, this even saves me paying for taxi.
Lin is offline   Reply With Quote