Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
Lordy
Lordy began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Best UK option for traditional paperback novel reader?

Live in England, read lots of paperback novels (current and classic - one a week), have small girly hands and weedy girly arms (am small female so not surprising), late but now v enthusiatic convert to IPods, wanting to buy Ebook reader as running out of shelf space. Upfront hardware cost not an issue (as am getting it as a present) so which is the best reader to go for in terms of combining lightweight, easy to use, availability/price of new novels, reading experience, and being able to listen to audio books occasionally (which I mainly do on my IPod)? And are any of them bath-safe? I dont mind the faff of initial set up/transfer (used to that from IPod), dont want to read newspapers, dont need wireless, dont want to annotate, take to lectures or any of that stuff, I just want to read the electronic equivalent of classic and current fiction, any time, any place, any where, as the ad used to say. Bit worried about supporting world dominance of Amazon (plus keyboard clearly surplus to requirements) and Iliad might be a bit heavy so it's looking like the Sony? What about the Cybook - doesnt seem to get much of a mention? Are there any other serious contenders available in the UK (as have checked out the wiki page here and just mentally crashed faced with so many options and more technical info than I'll ever make sense of)? And are there any new developments coming out in the next few months, as I wont be getting it til November in any event? And any worthwhile accessories I should score while I'm at it? All advice/thoughts/views/experiences gratefully received.
Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Hi & welcome!
A few responses... None are really bath-safe as is, but I think that you could get third-party sealable bags that would suit either!

I'd expect that the Cybook or the Sony would both do well - see here for a explicit comparison on the wiki but it probably comes down to how important a particular difference is to you.

The Sony's available at £199 & while the Cybook used to be ~£249, WH Smith recently had it at £149 but it's unclear if that's a loss-leader, mis-price or what. Note that the Sony comes with a decent case, whereas the Cybook doesn't, so the difference isn't as clear-cut as it may initially seem.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordy View Post
And are any of them bath-safe?
They are if you stick them in a waterproof bag .

I use a small whanganui for my CyBook and am delighted with it - but other options are available.
These bag solutions are also good if you want to read anywhere a modicum of protection is advisable (e.g. on the beach) - definitely worth the money .
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Currently I'd recommend the CyBook. W H Smith are starting to sell it on-line.

It mainly uses the Mobipocket Format, which is probably the widest range of eBooks available.

It's also the lightest of the eBook readers, although none of the 6" ones are terribly heavy.

It's possible that by November the Astak Mentor 6" model will be out, which might be cheaper.

There are, of course, going to continue to be newer, better models for the next few years. The next important development seems to be screens based on plastic rather than glass, which should be much less fragile, coming first half of next year with luck.

I have a CyBook, and I'm very pleased with it. I don't use it for audio books, but it does have an MP3 player and a (2.5mm) headphone socket.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordy View Post
so which is the best reader to go for in terms of combining lightweight, easy to use, availability/price of new novels, reading experience, and being able to listen to audio books occasionally
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Currently I'd recommend the CyBook. W H Smith are starting to sell it on-line.

It mainly uses the Mobipocket Format, which is probably the widest range of eBooks available.

It's also the lightest of the eBook readers, although none of the 6" ones are terribly heavy.
I'd second Paul's recommendation. I too have a CyBook and can thoroughly recommend it. MobiPocket format gives you probably the widest available range of eBooks.

Stick to the iPod for the audiobooks, though - it's far better at it than any of the eBook readers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Cybook and the Sony are your best options, and either one would be a good choice. The ebook market in the UK is in its infancy, but worldwide there are probably more novels in MOBI format than Adobe formats (Secure PDF or Secure ePub) and MOBI is better than Secure PDF for novels. For this reason I recommend the Cybook. It also supports a wide range of dictionaries, and a larger range of font sizes than the Sony.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:14 AM   #7
Duodora
Enthusiast
Duodora began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook!
I agree with others above who have recommended the cybook

I bought mine earlier this summer--and wanted it for the same things that you do (although I've never tried an audio book on it)--and ended up choosing the cybook over the sony because of book availability. Selection seemed a lot better for the cybook.

Also--just to clarify--the cybook does come with a case. It's a relatively soft case, but it protects against minor bumps and scrapes, and makes holding the cybook feel more like holding a paper book.

Connie
Duodora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:31 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodora View Post
Also--just to clarify--the cybook does come with a case.
That depends what "package" you buy. If you buy a basic CyBook, the case is NOT included - you have to buy it as an optional extra.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:05 AM   #9
C6REW
Connoisseur
C6REW has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1
Hi Lordy,

Thought I better jump in here and recommend the Sony! Unfortunately I have no knowledge of the Cybook so cannot comment on that.

The Sony seems easy to use, expandable and very rugged. I like the idea of having a light cover so have one on order.

Worth a quick trip to your local Waterstones or Sony centre to have a go.

Regards

Chris
C6REW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #10
Duodora
Enthusiast
Duodora began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That depends what "package" you buy. If you buy a basic CyBook, the case is NOT included - you have to buy it as an optional extra.
Right--sorry about that >.<
Duodora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #11
sheppy124
sheppy124 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs505
I have had a play with both of them.

The sony is pure quality and s heaver then the cybook, very easy to find books and lists every thing and theres hard buttons for everything under the sun, very easy to use. The only slightly annoying thing on the sony the page change is quite harsh with my eys, however I am sure after amount of time you will get used to it.

However had said that, I do prefer the cybook slighty more, the screen seems to be better in my eyes.

I think in the uk it will boil down to how much waterstones sales are in the ebook factor, this is the key factor, if its a hit most people wont be bothered about drm stuff as long as theres a lot available , then it wont be long before the other major sites jump on the band wagon. I have feeling play.com will do something as they will be selling the sony reader in a couple of weeks. The sony is also a very good price including a cover. If Whsmiths price is correct for the cybook, even more of a decision?

Last edited by sheppy124; 09-07-2008 at 03:52 PM.
sheppy124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:23 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The main benefit of the CyBook is the fact that it uses MobiPocket books. That makes it so much easier to buy books, without having to mess around with format conversion. Plus the fact that it's a genuinely multi-platform device, compared with the Windows-only Sony.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:18 AM   #13
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I think you're grasping a bit far there, Harry. The Cybook has got things such as dictionaries as an advantage, but as far as easier to buy books, it's all relative, particularly as we can expect ePub to become more prevelant. In addition, the Sony Reader isn't Windows-only, just the supplied transfer software, which is only needed to make purchases from the North American eStore.

Personally, I'd think it more accurate to say that "The main difference with the CyBook is the fact that it uses MobiPocket books, while the Sony uses both it's own native formats and ePub books".
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:27 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
I think you're grasping a bit far there, Harry. The Cybook has got things such as dictionaries as an advantage, but as far as easier to buy books, it's all relative, particularly as we can expect ePub to become more prevelant. In addition, the Sony Reader isn't Windows-only, just the supplied transfer software, which is only needed to make purchases from the North American eStore.
What I was referring to is the fact that one requires a Windows machine in order to "authorise" a Reader with Adobe DE to purchase books for it.

Tags
paperback fiction reader, uk based