Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
ereader25
Enthusiast
ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.

Device: looking
Looking for android-based e-ink with audio support (preferably speakers)

Hi, I'm hoping to tap into the communal expertise here as I am having a difficult time finding a device that fits my needs.

I want an e-ink screen, not LCD based, doesn't matter if it has backlight or not.

I am looking for a device to read books on. It needs to support audio so that the books can be read aloud by TTS, speakers would be great but just headphone jack is acceptable.

I need the ability to install apps from the google play store, or at the very least be able to sideload the APKs for Kindle app and PageTurner. I do not care if I have to root the device in order to achieve this, as long as there is a streamlined way for doing so.

Battery life is important as well.

I have been considering the Bayue T62, looks promising but as far as I can tell it only has a headphone jack no speakers, it is rather expensive, it seems to take 3-6+ weeks to arrive, and apparently the battery life is poor.

Any ideas about what might work well?

Thanks!
ereader25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Android e-ink devices are pretty hard to find. Chinese companies like Boyue and Onyx are about the only ones who make them. I'm aware of the Earl, but they have had delays upon delays. The only ones I know of that have audio support only do so through a headphone jack. Your best options are either the Onyx Boox T68 and AfterGlow 2 (also known as the C67) and the Boyue T61 and T62. I have the T68 and T62. The T62 gives me the better battery life. I rooted it and installed SetCPU, and now my battery life is pretty close to my old Nook Simple Touch. The T68 isn't as good with battery life, but it has a 6.8 in display (the T62 has a 6 in display). The T62 is less expensive than the T68, but has more space for apps and data. You can use a microSD card with any of these devices. All have headphone jacks and TTS capability.

Your cheapest option may be to but the Onyx Boox C67 from Banggood. It goes for about $128 US, I believe. You will have to wait about three weeks, and you'll need to root your device if you want Google Play Store on it.

My recommendation? The Boyue T62. If you want a larger screen, try the Onyx T68.

Edit: You'll need to root the T62, too, if you want Play Store. Onyx devices come with Play Store installed. Still, the T62 is my favorite.

Last edited by downeaster59; 12-09-2014 at 08:01 PM. Reason: add more info
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moved to the proper forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:29 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Bluetooth speakers are another option. The T68 supports them; I don't know if the other devices do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #5
ereader25
Enthusiast
ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Android e-ink devices are pretty hard to find. Chinese companies like Boyue and Onyx are about the only ones who make them. I'm aware of the Earl, but they have had delays upon delays. The only ones I know of that have audio support only do so through a headphone jack. Your best options are either the Onyx Boox T68 and AfterGlow 2 (also known as the C67) and the Boyue T61 and T62. I have the T68 and T62. The T62 gives me the better battery life. I rooted it and installed SetCPU, and now my battery life is pretty close to my old Nook Simple Touch. The T68 isn't as good with battery life, but it has a 6.8 in display (the T62 has a 6 in display). The T62 is less expensive than the T68, but has more space for apps and data. You can use a microSD card with any of these devices. All have headphone jacks and TTS capability.

Your cheapest option may be to but the Onyx Boox C67 from Banggood. It goes for about $128 US, I believe. You will have to wait about three weeks, and you'll need to root your device if you want Google Play Store on it.

My recommendation? The Boyue T62. If you want a larger screen, try the Onyx T68.

Edit: You'll need to root the T62, too, if you want Play Store. Onyx devices come with Play Store installed. Still, the T62 is my favorite.
Thanks this is helpful info. I'm curious what you think of the T62 vs the Afterglow 2, they seem pretty similar to me on paper, can you think of a particular reason to choose one over the other? Is Onyx vs Boyue a better company to support or anything?

Also, what has your experience been with handling PDFs on your devices? It would be awesome to be able to read and annotate PDFs smoothly. I'm talking both about articles a few pages long, or textbooks thousands of pages long.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Edit PS - since you have rooted your T62 how has the functionality been for you? I wonder if it would be possible to set something like this (http://www.raspberrypi.org/kindleberry-pi-the-second/) up, or alternatively to tether to a phone and tunnel into my home computers terminal to get some work done while out and about.

Last edited by ereader25; 01-01-2015 at 02:42 PM. Reason: PS
Advert
Old 01-01-2015, 03:08 PM   #6
ereader25
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Bluetooth speakers are another option. The T68 supports them; I don't know if the other devices do.
As best I can tell the other devices do not support bluetooth. I have scanned various reviews and found it stated the Boyue T62 does not have bluetooth, and looking over various specs on different vendor sites it seems neither does the Onyx Afterglow 2.

A bit more research shows me there are a couple things to recommend the Boyue T62 over the Onyx Afterglow 2 (C67)

Battery:
T62 - 3,000 mah
C67 - 1,700 mah

Built in Memory:
T62 - 8 gb
C67 - 4 gb

Otherwise the CPU, RAM, etc stated specs are comparable.

As of today prices are apprximately equivalent on Banggood
T62 - $117
C67 - $128

However, I think I do enjoy the aesthetics of the C67 much more than the T62. The C67 is more rectangular and trim looking, kind of like the kindles, whereas the T62 is more square-ish with rounded off corners more like the nook simple touch which I find kind of ugly. Will be a tough choice.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #7
ereader25
Enthusiast

This right here is what I would really love! Too bad the cost is prohibitive

http://www.banggood.com/ONYX-BOOX-M9...-p-952330.html
Old 01-01-2015, 10:29 PM   #8
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereader25 View Post
Thanks this is helpful info. I'm curious what you think of the T62 vs the Afterglow 2, they seem pretty similar to me on paper, can you think of a particular reason to choose one over the other? Is Onyx vs Boyue a better company to support or anything?

Also, what has your experience been with handling PDFs on your devices? It would be awesome to be able to read and annotate PDFs smoothly. I'm talking both about articles a few pages long, or textbooks thousands of pages long.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Edit PS - since you have rooted your T62 how has the functionality been for you? I wonder if it would be possible to set something like this (http://www.raspberrypi.org/kindleberry-pi-the-second/) up, or alternatively to tether to a phone and tunnel into my home computers terminal to get some work done while out and about.
I think I answered some of this in another thread, but here goes!

I haven't seen the Afterglow 2, so I can only go by my experience with the Onyx Boox T68. I needed to send back two T68s before getting one that worked properly. Some people have had their own issues with the T68. I've seen very little on the T62, so I don't know if quality control is better or if there are just fewer of them out there. Arta Tech (in Poland) gave me fine customer service for my T68. If a Boyue has problems, it may have to go to China, and that is an iffy proposition right there.

My Boox T68 had problems with some apps, like Nook and Google Play Books. The Boyue ran all of them well. That said, I don't know if the changes in the Afterglow 2 would address those issues.

The Boyue has some advantages: more app space (about 1 gb); more overall space (8 gb); larger battery. The AfterGlow comes with Play Store already installed. You have to root the Boyue if you want to install Play Store, though you can sideload all the apps you want. You can install another launcher if you don't like the appearance of the default launcher in either device.

As far as rooting goes, I rooted my T62 so i could install Play Store and have the possibility of other tweaks. For example, the T62 did not have great battery life when I first received it. Installing SetCPU (which requires root) cured that problem. My battery life now rivals my old Nook Simple Touch. The Boox T68 didn't do so well with battery, even with SetCPU, so I suspect that the AfterGlow will not do so well either.

I haven't done much with PDFs on my devices, so I can't help you there. I haven't tried tethering, either, but I can see no reason why it wouldn't be possible if you are rooted.

In summary: AfterGlow - better customer service, Play Store already installed. Boyue T62 - better battery life, more internal space for apps and data. Besides these things, both devices look about even. If I were making the choice, I'd still lean toward the T62, but either device should serve you well.
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:36 AM   #9
ereader25
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I think I answered some of this in another thread, but here goes!

I haven't seen the Afterglow 2, so I can only go by my experience with the Onyx Boox T68. I needed to send back two T68s before getting one that worked properly. Some people have had their own issues with the T68. I've seen very little on the T62, so I don't know if quality control is better or if there are just fewer of them out there. Arta Tech (in Poland) gave me fine customer service for my T68. If a Boyue has problems, it may have to go to China, and that is an iffy proposition right there.

My Boox T68 had problems with some apps, like Nook and Google Play Books. The Boyue ran all of them well. That said, I don't know if the changes in the Afterglow 2 would address those issues.

The Boyue has some advantages: more app space (about 1 gb); more overall space (8 gb); larger battery. The AfterGlow comes with Play Store already installed. You have to root the Boyue if you want to install Play Store, though you can sideload all the apps you want. You can install another launcher if you don't like the appearance of the default launcher in either device.

As far as rooting goes, I rooted my T62 so i could install Play Store and have the possibility of other tweaks. For example, the T62 did not have great battery life when I first received it. Installing SetCPU (which requires root) cured that problem. My battery life now rivals my old Nook Simple Touch. The Boox T68 didn't do so well with battery, even with SetCPU, so I suspect that the AfterGlow will not do so well either.

I haven't done much with PDFs on my devices, so I can't help you there. I haven't tried tethering, either, but I can see no reason why it wouldn't be possible if you are rooted.

In summary: AfterGlow - better customer service, Play Store already installed. Boyue T62 - better battery life, more internal space for apps and data. Besides these things, both devices look about even. If I were making the choice, I'd still lean toward the T62, but either device should serve you well.

Great, thanks! You make a good point about the customer service that I would not have considered before, I do dread the idea of sending something back to China for customer service. Coincidentally I see Amazon has started selling the Afterglow 2 with Prime shipping so perhaps that is a good reason to go that way first, in case I need to send the model back for replacement.

I'll give the apps a shot, that sounds exactly like what I need!

Can you elaborate a bit about your experience using SetCPU on the Onyx T68? I'm curious if it just failed to throttle the processes, or despite this the battery still didn't last? And when you say it's not as good, how long do you get out of it without charging? Obviously not a month long like the Nook simple touch, but do you get at least a week out of it?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2015, 03:52 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereader25 View Post
Can you elaborate a bit about your experience using SetCPU on the Onyx T68? I'm curious if it just failed to throttle the processes, or despite this the battery still didn't last? And when you say it's not as good, how long do you get out of it without charging? Obviously not a month long like the Nook simple touch, but do you get at least a week out of it?

Thanks!
I had my T68 set up to automatically shut down after an hour of inactivity (it boots quickly, so I didn't find this to be a problem) and thus had excellent battery life from it.

If you left it permanently switched on, you'd get battery life comparable to any other Android tablet - ie a few days at most.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:18 AM   #11
halfprice.anyite
halfprice.anyite began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I am looking once is the same with you. I hope you will satisfied with your final choice
halfprice.anyite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #12
JOAOLEALFF
JOAOLEALFF began at the beginning.

Device: none
But it is good to note that the Boyue not have European quality certificate (CE) or American (FCC). Then left more doubt. Does a Boyue would last more than five months?
JOAOLEALFF is offline   Reply With Quote