Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
OpenLibary.org, any way to tell quality?

I've just started using OpenLibrary.org, which is run by the Internet Archive. It's a great resource, but I'm having trouble with the EPUB files. They seem to be all automatically converted from PDF. Sometimes they're fine, but often I have to check the EPUB back in and get the PDF to get a readable file.

Is there any way to tell if the EPUB version is fine? Even to update the EPUB version the library has so that at least other people don't run into this, or some other way to address this problem?
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
I've just started using OpenLibrary.org, which is run by the Internet Archive. It's a great resource, but I'm having trouble with the EPUB files. They seem to be all automatically converted from PDF. Sometimes they're fine, but often I have to check the EPUB back in and get the PDF to get a readable file.

Is there any way to tell if the EPUB version is fine? Even to update the EPUB version the library has so that at least other people don't run into this, or some other way to address this problem?
I don't think so for either question. The books are scanned copies of a library's physical book. When it's checked out at library.org the physical copy can't be checked out. I have learned to read the epubs, by just ingoring all the extra junk, at least in most cases.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2014, 01:04 AM   #3
tempura
Connoisseur
tempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle PW3
I don't think so. All the books I have read have the epub directly converted from PDF.
Thought, I also did contact them about uploading custom epubs for better viewing and to help other people and here was the response:
Quote:
Can I make a custom formatted epub version an already available pdf book and upload it here?
I asked the second question because I have seen like the currently borrowed book of mine which is "Sweetheart, Sweetheart" by Bernard Taylor, is available as an epub as well but the formatting is very bad as it seems to be a direct conversion of the PDF and seems slightly more difficult to read than the PDF.
Quote:
We don't have a mechanism to use alternative EPUBs at this time.
Thanks for using openlibrary.org and archive.org
I also put up the question on archive.org here.
tempura is offline   Reply With Quote