Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #46
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If you really want the Kobo features, just buy it at Best Buy with Best Buy's extended guarantee. Then you don't have to deal with Kobo if your unit goes awry in the next 2 years.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:17 PM   #47
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Hey, bcgirl, I hope you know how to strip DRM, because books you have on your Kobo and Sony are not going to transfer to your Kindle unless you do.

I've been collecting ebooks for roughly 15 years or so, and I've seen several formats come and go, which is why I don't buy anything I can't strip and convert if need be. You never want to be tied to one format, trust me on that.

It's like having to re-buy all your paper books anytime you buy a new bookshelf.
No I don't know how to strip DRM. I was not planning to, or I would not have purchased a Kindle. The books on my Sony and Kobo are fine there. I love the Kindle/Amazon system a lot. I do not regret it at all. In fact I am surprised how easy, fast the Kindle works as compared to my other two (older) devices.
So happy with it!
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:08 AM   #48
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
No I don't know how to strip DRM. I was not planning to, or I would not have purchased a Kindle. The books on my Sony and Kobo are fine there. I love the Kindle/Amazon system a lot. I do not regret it at all. In fact I am surprised how easy, fast the Kindle works as compared to my other two (older) devices.
So happy with it!
Regardless, it is easy.

http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:45 AM   #49
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Regardless, it is easy.

I can always try!
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:23 AM   #50
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
I can't afford yachts or mansions or even the odd Ferrari but when I scroll through my Calibre library of liberated books I feel like Scrooge McDuck rolling around in his vault full of gold.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #51
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Regardless, it is easy.

Quote:
I can always try!
Yes, I can attest to that. Just did it yesterday - it used to be somewhat more technical. Now it is really a breeze.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #52
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
So happy with it!
Yeah, but. . .

Formats come and go. What's supported this year may not be supported 5 years, or even 2 years from now.

If you don't re-read, or don't mind re-purchasing a book if you want to read it again, then you're fine. But if not, you really need to know how to strip DRM and what formats are strippable. A little pre-planning can save you much heartache down the road.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote