Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
manawydan
Connoisseur
manawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toys

Device: none
Bookmarks and Clippings from K Keyboard to PW2

Xmas came early for me this year and so I am now the happy owner of a PW2.

I am about to move my favourite books to the PW2 and my question concerns the bookmarks you can set.

As I understand it these are stored in special files associated with the book file?
So it is not enough to simply copy the myclippings file.

Can I somehow backup the bookmarks and move the to the PW?
I plan to have the same files and collections.

The PW is jailbroken (is that even a word?) like the Keyboard was.
Version of the PW is 5.4.
manawydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If you have sync turned on, they will be synced to the new Kindle when you download the book.

The My Clippings.txt file is just an extra copy of the bookmarks, etc., and not related to the copy stored in the books at all. That won't sync; you'd have to copy it yourself, if for some reason you wanted to keep it on the new Kindle. I often delete mine to clear it out. It gets recreated the next time you set a bookmark, or create a highlight or note.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
If you have sync turned on, they will be synced to the new Kindle when you download the book.

The My Clippings.txt file is just an extra copy of the bookmarks, etc., and not related to the copy stored in the books at all. That won't sync; you'd have to copy it yourself, if for some reason you wanted to keep it on the new Kindle. I often delete mine to clear it out. It gets recreated the next time you set a bookmark, or create a highlight or note.
What Susan said... but unlike her I copy my clippings file from kindle to kindle, I have all my notes from all the way back to my original k2.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
chipf0rk
chipf0rk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd gen)
I wonder something related to this: Can I get a list of all clippings and bookmarks somewhere?
All I can find is the narrow list of bookmarks on the right side when I open it, and that thing gets sort of annoying because all I can see is the bookmarked position, I can't name the entries or anything.

Last edited by chipf0rk; 12-10-2013 at 10:24 AM.
chipf0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In the "My Clippings" file on your Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
All notes and highlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipf0rk View Post
I wonder something related to this: Can I get a list of all clippings and bookmarks somewhere?
All I can find is the narrow list of bookmarks on the right side when I open it, and that thing gets sort of annoying because all I can see is the bookmarked position, I can't name the entries or anything.
You can see all your notes and highlights here:

https://kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights

You do not need the Clippings file at all. At that web site you can make changes, use review flash cards for memorizing them and do all sorts of other things with them. I have never opened the Clippings file and just ignore it.

That site has notes and highlights from every Kindle you ever owned and is searchable as well. You can add notes to highlights there.

I use that site to copy and paste to chat rooms and Forums for discussion purposes.

I am not sure if that site is available to Kindle owners located outside America or for side loaded books not purchased from Amazon. Others here will have to find out on their own.

I believe notes and highlights are only synced once every 24 hours.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-10-2013 at 11:34 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

or for side loaded books not purchased from Amazon. Others here will have to find out on their own.
As long as the book was put in the personal doc archive it does also show its highlights there. I am reading one of the ones I used "send with kindle' and it shows the highlights I have done.

Its a great site, I think many don't know about it though. For fun I went all the way back to my first highlight. It took a while as it was in February 2009. So it took me apparently 3 months to figure out or have the need to highlight or note anything on my K1.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

https://kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights

You do not need the Clippings file at all. At that web site you can make changes, use review flash cards for memorizing them and do all sorts of other things with them. I have never opened the Clippings file and just ignore it.

That site has notes and highlights from every Kindle you ever owned and is searchable as well. You can add notes to highlights there.

I use that site to copy and paste to chat rooms and Forums for discussion purposes.

I am not sure if that site is available to Kindle owners located outside America or for side loaded books not purchased from Amazon. Others here will have to find out on their own.

I believe notes and highlights are only synced once every 24 hours.
That site is a good backup place if you lost or did not transfer your clippings file kindle to kindle. But as you stated side loaded books or those not uploaded to Amazon do not get their notes and highlights uploaded. Which is the main reason why I transfer my clippings file between kindles.

I mainly use the clippings file but the website is the easiest to read because the clippings file updates as notes/highlights are added to it, so if you happen to go back to a book and add or change a note, the same book could have notes all over the file.

A few months back I cleaned up my clippings file to put all the notes together and to alphabetize them. Needless to say it took me hours to do this.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
manawydan
Connoisseur
manawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toys

Device: none
Ok, thanks.

Something else - is there no other option to jump to the next (or previous) chapter but the "go to" menue?
On the keyboard Kindle you just pressed a navigation key to jump to the next chapter (or back).
manawydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Sweep up to change chapters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manawydan View Post
Ok, thanks.

Something else - is there no other option to jump to the next (or previous) chapter but the "go to" menue?
On the keyboard Kindle you just pressed a navigation key to jump to the next chapter (or back).
Just sweep up with your finger from the bottom of the page and you can go forward or backward a chapter using the arrows for the PW 2013.

On the HDX 2013 a similar sweep from an eBook page up will reveal your four favorite apps to jump to immediately if you first tap and then do the sweep in portrait mode.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-10-2013 at 05:53 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:53 AM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
That site is a good backup place if you lost or did not transfer your clippings file kindle to kindle. But as you stated side loaded books or those not uploaded to Amazon do not get their notes and highlights uploaded. Which is the main reason why I transfer my clippings file between kindles.

I mainly use the clippings file but the website is the easiest to read because the clippings file updates as notes/highlights are added to it, so if you happen to go back to a book and add or change a note, the same book could have notes all over the file.

A few months back I cleaned up my clippings file to put all the notes together and to alphabetize them. Needless to say it took me hours to do this.
On another thread I saw the following website being mentioned: http://www.clippingsconverter.com/

Apparently it will do all this for you, and supports exporting as Excel.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:04 AM   #12
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
On another thread I saw the following website being mentioned: http://www.clippingsconverter.com/

That site is indeed highly recommended. Upload your Clippings there (of course, always keep a backup) and start using your PW2. When you start uploading to clippingsconverter from the PW2 clippings, it will merge your new clippings so you keep a coherent record of everything you’ve ever highlighted on your Kindle (not for annotations from reading apps though, which is way I still think it’s very important that Kindle for PC/Mac starts supporting personal docs as well and that you get to copy from them, so everyone should write Amazon )...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

I've tried this site and a few others, unfortunately since my clippings file had notes and such from different kindles, which of course used different formats, it didn't work to well for me. I had to stick to a good ole-fashioned manual process.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I've tried this site and a few others, unfortunately since my clippings file had notes and such from different kindles, which of course used different formats, it didn't work to well for me. I had to stick to a good ole-fashioned manual process.
Which is why it’s advisable to start a new file with every new Kindle...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #15
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Which is why it’s advisable to start a new file with every new Kindle...
Advisable, but not doable, not only do I have a lot of notes/highlights/BMs that I wish to take with me, but I also re-read and I like them to be updated through each device. Personally I would love it if when you add a new one to each book, when that is saved to the clippings file, it would also save the pre-existing ones as well, but I can live with the way things are now.