Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2013, 03:55 AM   #271
eXistenZ
Connoisseur
eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo GLO
Quote:
Originally Posted by readandread View Post
Thanks! What a tragic shame Such a good eReader, but that's a killer for me. Is there any word that Kobo wants to change this?
maybe ExportHighlights=true could be a solution, adding this string to a system file (really easy hack) enables an hidden feature to save all highlights and notes of an ebook as a txt file in the main memory of the reader, is not Evernote integration but it's usefull.
eXistenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #272
nerowolfe
nerowolfe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bits View Post

* BACKUP the file 1st *

Copy file:

Kobo eReader.conf and rename it to
Kobo eReader.conf.orig

Then make the change in

Kobo eReader.conf

[at ~ 40 lines from the end of the file]

in the [Reading] section ...

change the value of variable

numPartialUpdatePageTurns

from (1-6) to 90

to give result as follows:

numPartialUpdatePageTurns=90

Save file and Exit

Now while reading, enjoy flash free reading and if you notice ghosting (after very MANY page turns) to clean up the type

MANUALLY REFRESH PAGE by ...

1) touch page bottom then
2) touch page middle

Quick and Easy!
The section in bold is where I'm stuck on. How do I edit a conf file? Do I need to download a program? I'm on Windows 7 if that helps.
nerowolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #273
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerowolfe View Post
The section in bold is where I'm stuck on. How do I edit a conf file? Do I need to download a program? I'm on Windows 7 if that helps.
It is a text file and will open in any text reader/writer. I believe the built-in one for Windows is Notepad? (I use Linux.)
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #274
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
It is a text file and will open in any text reader/writer. I believe the built-in one for Windows is Notepad? (I use Linux.)
Don't use Notepad. An editor that respects Unix style line endings is needed. I usually use Notepad++, but there are plenty of others that will.

@nerowolfe: Should I recognise this username from another forum? With a similar question.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #275
msamani
msamani began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
I can't find the answer to my question on this site. I am sure somebody has had this problem before:
I have a bunch of PDF books. They don't have proper cover pages, that is, the first page of the PDF is not the cover page of the book. I would like to add cover pages to these books. I use Calibre. I know how to add a cover page in Calibre. The problem is when I upload the PDF to my device, and when I read the book, and when I turn the reader off, the cover page does not show up as Kobo is sleeping. Instead the first page of the PDF file shows up.
Is there anyway I can tell Kobo what cover page to use instead of the PDF's first page?
Thanks!
msamani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #276
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamani View Post
I can't find the answer to my question on this site. I am sure somebody has had this problem before:
I have a bunch of PDF books. They don't have proper cover pages, that is, the first page of the PDF is not the cover page of the book. I would like to add cover pages to these books. I use Calibre. I know how to add a cover page in Calibre. The problem is when I upload the PDF to my device, and when I read the book, and when I turn the reader off, the cover page does not show up as Kobo is sleeping. Instead the first page of the PDF file shows up.
Is there anyway I can tell Kobo what cover page to use instead of the PDF's first page?
For most book types, including PDF and epubs, the cover image is generated from the first page of the book. But, using calibre, there are options in the driver to generate the covers when sending the books. These will then be used. If the books are already on the device, you can use my Kobo Utilities plugin to upload the covers.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #277
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Kobo Touch refused to sync complaining there is not enough space on device. I used calibre to get the book and the reader forgot my bookmarks. Now when I plug it into calibre it informs me the database is corrupted. I remember reading that I ought to sign out of kobo account but, I'm not sure what's that going to do my ADE authorization. What should I do?
(And what did I do to corrupt database in first place?)
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #278
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

danicca: The main way you could cause the database corruption is by not safely ejecting the ereader from the PC before disconnecting it. As the device ran out of space, the corruption is probably related to that. I suspect that the loss of bookmarks are related to this as well.

Doing a logout will remove the ADE authorisation. But, you can get ADE to do this again on the next connect. But, you can also take a copy of some files before the logout and restore them. Take a copy of all the ".adobe-digital-editions" directory. After logging out and back in, restore the directory and all the files in it. At least one of the files is hidden, so make sure you have both the "device.xml" and "activation.xml" files.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #279
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I copied folder back, but it didn't want to open drm books and touch crashed when I tried to open drm pdf. (Strangely, it did say it was authorized? Does it matter that I sent the books via calibre?) I did factory reset, and now I can't do setup via wifi. Is there a way to manage setup without kobo desktop?

Edit:Okay, I downloaded firmware and updated it manually, except the adobe books still not work. I tried plugging device into ADE and it says it is authorized, but when I tried to send books there was no processing message and there is only black rectangle instead of cover. What did I miss?

Last edited by danicca; 01-03-2014 at 09:51 AM.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #280
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper Hviid View Post
HOW TO QUICKLY REFRESH THE SCREEN:

... just double-touch the center area.
It seems that, starting with the 3.1.0 fw upgrade, this trick no longer works to manually refresh the screen. Has anyone found a new way to manually refresh that works with 3.1.x?

93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #281
NoDad
NoDad began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
It seems that, starting with the 3.1.0 fw upgrade, this trick no longer works to manually refresh the screen. Has anyone found a new way to manually refresh that works with 3.1.x?

I'm running version 3.0.1 (21-11-13)

There is no entry for "numPartialUpdatePageTurns" in my "Kobo eReader.conf" file.

I discovered that if you add the line:

at the end of the [Reading] section it works a treat.

Seems the line has been taken out but is still valid.
NoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #282
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDad View Post
I'm running version 3.0.1 (21-11-13)

There is no entry for "numPartialUpdatePageTurns" in my "Kobo eReader.conf" file.

I discovered that if you add the line:

at the end of the [Reading] section it works a treat.

Seems the line has been taken out but is still valid.
Except for the Aura, the option is still in the settings screens. But, for most of the options in the config file, the entry is only put into the file if the value is not the default.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:33 PM   #283
concrete5
concrete5 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
automatically turn off

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bits View Post

Then make the change in

Kobo eReader.conf

very good 2bits

I was wondering if it was possible to set something like this
to change the setting to automatically turn off

I would like the kobo is turned off after 3 or 4 hours ,
but the settings you can set a maximum of 60 minutes or never

you can add a line into KoboeReader.conf
that sets this?
concrete5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #284
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete5 View Post
I was wondering if it was possible to set something like this
to change the setting to automatically turn off

I would like the kobo is turned off after 3 or 4 hours ,
but the settings you can set a maximum of 60 minutes or never

you can add a line into KoboeReader.conf
that sets this?
Yes, you can. The options you are after are:

Code:
[PowerOptions]
AutoFrontLightOffMinutes=15
AutoOffMinutes=0
AutoSleepMinutes=15
The numbers are minutes and zero means never.

There was a discussion earlier in the thread, but there is more in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220699.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #285
concrete5
concrete5 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
I had not really seen
thanks davidfor
concrete5 is offline   Reply With Quote