Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 02:04 AM   #46
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 8 mobile. Samsung 8 and 10 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Once installed select all of the books you want to reverse the FN, LN then use the plugin to accomplish this, see attached.

Your Quality check plugin is probably in a different location than mine but the menus for the plugin are the same.

Good Luck.
Hi looked at that but want to change from LN FN to FN LN ( epubs already import that way but not kindles)
book64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:37 AM   #47
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by book64 View Post
Hi looked at that but want to change from LN FN to FN LN ( epubs already import that way but not kindles)
I need to check something: You keep saying "LN FN" and we keep saying "LN, FN". Note the comma. Are you missing the comma when you import the books? All the Kindle books I have imported have done it with the comma.

With the author as "LN, FN" (including comma), you simply select the books you want to fix, and select "Swap author ..." option of the Fix menu of Quality Check.

And to select them, use the "Check authors with commas" option in the "Check metadata" menu of Quality Check. That gives you a list of all the books that have authors with a comma as part of the name. These will probably be the ones that need to be fixed.

But, if you don't have the comma in the author, you are a bit stuck. Finding the authors that are wrong is harder as need to individually check the name.

And as you say "looked at that", have you tried it? Try it on one book and see if it does what you want. If not, you can easily fix it. If it does, try it for a few more books. Then find all the rest that are wrong and do them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #48
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is called consistency by Humans, normalized by database folks
Off-topic, but actually, for us db folks normalizing is something entirely different. Shortly, it's organising data in tables in such a way that you avoid redundancy, and avoid storing different entities in a single field or row. For instance, calibre stores each author only once in a separate table instead of having a text column in the book table, this makes you able to re-use that entry for multiple books, and to easily add and remove an arbitrary number of authors in a single book. Maintenance and data re-use becomes vastly simpler: correct/fetch the name in this single row only, and it changes everywhere it's used instead of you having to update all book rows. Column names like author1, author2 and so on in a book table is nightmare fuel for db people. I wouldn't normally nitpick in this manner, but I reckon that you in particular might actually appreciate it.

Also, {LN, FN} is the only correct way to record names in a library. Relax, I'm (mostly) joking
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #49
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
Just found this thread, was wondering how Calibre could find the free kindle books I'd downloaded.
Great advice, thank you very much :-)
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:27 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Calibre doesn't "find" books. You have to find them and add them to Calibre. What have you downloaded them to? A Kindle? A Kindle reading app?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #51
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Calibre doesn't "find" books. You have to find them and add them to Calibre. What have you downloaded them to? A Kindle? A Kindle reading app?
They were on my pc but I couldn't find them! Technophobe here! Got them now anyway. This thread has been very helpful.
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #52
ijonikis
ijonikis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre only imported part of book

I imported a book on computing (complicated formatting with images) from my Kindle DX to Calibre 0.9.22.and found after a couple of chapters the text of the Calibre copy gradually shifted to the right and then disappeared all together and then there were a lot of blank pages but not enough to account for the length of the book. What was there was fine - ie images were rendered correctly, tables with borders rendered correctly). This is the first problem I've every had with importing into Calibre. Other new Kindle books with standard text which I imported at the same time are fine. The book is for my son so he can read it on his computer. Can anyone suggest what might be the problem and point me at a solution? My son is likely to be studying the book for a while so no way am I going to given him my Kindle for the duration.
ijonikis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #53
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijonikis View Post
I imported a book on computing (complicated formatting with images) from my Kindle DX to Calibre 0.9.22
Just checking, You clicked on the copy on the Kindle and selected to add it to the calibre library?

Quote:
This is the first problem I've every had with importing into Calibre.
Just to clarify for other users who might be reading, calibre does not alter the formatting of books imported (added) into calibre.

If you see what appear to be problems there are two possibilities that come to mind.

1. If you are viewing the book in calibre's viewer (which is essentially an ePub viewer) be aware that there is a quick conversion to a basic epub view before viewing. If you are viewing a prc, mobi, or azw book, that book was converted before viewing.

If you want to check the quality of the book use something like Kindle4PC to view the book instead of calibre's viewer. It is quite possible the only thing wrong is the book you are viewing isn't playing nice with calibre's initial conversion before being viewed.

2. The plugins you added to calibre from Apprentice Alf may be corrupt or old.

Most likely number 1.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-03-2013 at 08:03 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #54
ijonikis
ijonikis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Just checking, You clicked on the copy on the Kindle and selected to add it to the calibre library?

Just to clarify for other users who might be reading, calibre does not alter the formatting of books imported (added) into calibre.

If you see what appear to be problems there are two possibilities that come to mind.

1. If you are viewing the book in calibre's viewer (which is essentially an ePub viewer) be aware that there is a quick conversion to a basic epub view before viewing. If you are viewing a prc, mobi, or azw book, that book was converted before viewing.

If you want to check the quality of the book use something like Kindle4PC to view the book instead of calibre's viewer. It is quite possible the only thing wrong is the book you are viewing isn't playing nice with calibre's initial conversion before being viewed.

2. The plugins you added to calibre from Apprentice Alf may be corrupt or old.

Most likely number 1.
Many thanks for the reply. I was viewing an azw file I bought from Amazon. Converting the book to epub did actually bring a lot more of the book into view - before it cut out at chapter 2 - now it cuts out at chapter 6. But I still can't see the whole book and there are is still one section (which demonstrates computer code) that moves over to the right but is still readable. I don't see how the plugin would be the problem - wouldn't it be all or nothing?

I've solved my immediate problem by arranging for my son to read the book in the Cloud (yes I should have thought of that before tired after work my only excuse) but I would still like to understand why there is a problem reading it in Calibre.
ijonikis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #55
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I was viewing an azw file I bought from Amazon. Converting the book to epub did actually bring a lot more of the book into view
Just to be clear I never suggested converting the book to ePub. If you view an AZW book in calibre it is automatically converted to epub then fed to the viewer as a ePub.

What I tried to convey was the AZW book in your library is perfectly fine and if you viewed the book on any Kindle or Kindle App then you would see it as you expect.

Quote:
I don't see how the plugin would be the problem - wouldn't it be all or nothing?
If your plugin is old then a book can be corrupted when being imported and the subsequent attempt at a conversion may reflect the corruption. But that doesn't sound like the problem here.

Quote:
I've solved my immediate problem by arranging for my son to read the book in the Cloud (yes I should have thought of that before tired after work my only excuse)
I'm glad you came up with a solution.

Quote:
but I would still like to understand why there is a problem reading it in Calibre.
Hopefully my explanation of the calibre viewer above helps you understand. The odds are great that the AZW book in the calibre library is fine. There is code in the book that does not convert without error to ePub. However why it doesn't convert perfectly is a topic for another thread.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote