Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 03:36 AM   #1
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
Problems since upgrading to 7.15

I have done several ebook conversions using Calibre and Sigil to create ToCs and embed fonts. I've been very happy. But when I brought Calibre up today, it wanted to upgrade. I allowed it to and went ahead with my most recent conversion. Suddenly, I had two problems. My cover wasn't retaining its aspect ratio and my ToC was duplicating entries. With Sigil's help and a previous book I tracked the problem with the covers to this css code:

What should have been: preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet"

Was: preserveAspectRatio="none"

I changed that and all is well. But why has it suddenly stopped putting that in? I've never changed any default settings in Calibre before...is there some toggle I need to flip now?

As for the ToC...That has me totally puzzled. In the html file, I use a simple "h1" and "h2" instead of "p" in the html code for the paragraph containing the chapter and subchapter headings. Then I call for it in Calibre using either a simple "h1" or "/h1" in the chapter "xpath expression" entry. This has always worked in the past. Now, it's listing the Sections first, then starting over with the ToC as it should, except it's leaving out half the sub-sections after section 1. It's hard to explain, so I've attached a link to a screencap image. As you can see, the "sections" are listed first without their subsections, then the other level one entries begin and the sections are relisted with their associated subsections.

It's not that I can't fix it...simply saving the file in Sigil fixes the ToC problem, but I don't understand why it's happening all of a sudden.

http://www.box.net/shared/p7iylg5lz8

Any insights w/b appreciated.

Last edited by JaneFancher; 08-27-2010 at 03:50 AM. Reason: image wasn't showing, so made a link
JaneFancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:46 AM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Regarding your cover problem. I think Calibre's default is now to stretch the cover to fill the screen. If you look at the Convert|EPUB Output page there is a 'No SVG cover' option. If you check this box I think you will get back to what you want. If it works for you then you can set it permanently in Preferences|Conversion|EPUB Output.

Regarding TOC. If you're trying to specify <h1> tags in 'Convert|Structure Detection|Detect chapters at' and/or 'Convert|Table of Contents|Level 1 TOC' then the XPath entry should be //h:h1 Is this what you used? I find it easier to use the magic wand wizard button alongside these boxes to construct the correct XPath.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
Thanks, jackie.

Re: cover: I figured there must be a toggle. Can't imagine wanting a cover to stretch. Eeeewww!

Re: TOC: I've always used a simple h1 (suggested by someone else early on) and had it work fine...until this most recent upgrade. i'll try it with that code and see what happens.

thanks again for the quick reply.

update! That did it! Both cases. Color me silly.

Last edited by JaneFancher; 08-28-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: results
JaneFancher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, cover aspect ratio, table of contents, upgrade