Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 05:14 AM   #31
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Having looked a little further at TEI and DocBook, it seems that TEI is the one I'd go for. The main reason is that it includes support for variant text.

It seems to me I might be looking at a two-stage translation process. An XSLT for TEI->XHTML/ePub, and then an XSLT for XHTML -> Mobipocket HTML, ready for KindleGen.

But I'm not certain. I suspect I shall start by trying out a document with a small sub-set of TEI-lite, and see how far I get.

There certainly do seem to be far more XML/XSLT tool out there now. It's just a question of finding one that fits in nicely with what I want to do.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:21 AM   #32
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Started cleaning up and converting my recent Fictionwise acquisitions from their presumably auto-generated ePub versions. Some things I have noticed in the process:

<hr> styling using the CSS width property (or any other CSS property, for that matter) is not understood by Kindlegen. However, the deprecated width attribute works just fine. So much for separation of content and presentation, not to mention the strictness of XHTML 1.1. Maybe I'll just draw a spacer using the Geometric Shapes or even the Dingbats in the officially font-supported Unicode ranges.

Kindlegen also seems to do something really weird with page-break-after if there's no navMap entries in the NCX, and may have some sort of quirk where it drops the last navPoint off the list under certain circumstances. But this requires more investigation than I'm really up to at the moment.

Also, the CSS font-size keywords "larger" and "smaller" do seem to work fairly consistently, for what it's worth.

And it looks like however they figure out their default text-indent, it's set at a fixed width, probably in pixels. I had occasion to use the monospace font in conjunction with the default serif, and no matter which size I tried the resulting text at and how I rotated the orientation on the K2, it always started at approximately the same width from the edge of the screen, rather than being keyed to the current user-selected font size.

However, Kindlegen ignores the opf:file-as attribute in the metadata, so one will have to use mobi2mobi or similar to fix the author name sort.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 04:52 AM   #33
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Also, the CSS font-size keywords "larger" and "smaller" do seem to work fairly consistently, for what it's worth.
<big> and <small> work in-line in the text, but CSS larger and smaller actually are exactly equivalent to using CSS x-small and medium.

In other words, if you have a paragraph in font size large, using smaller and larger in spans in that paragraph don't get you medium and x-large, but still x-small and medium.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #34
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
How very disappointing. I only tried it out within some <h1>s, and the keywords seemed to work well enough there.

Guess I won't be doing F<span class="smaller">AKE SMALLCAPS</span> for initial words in starting paragraphs any time soon.

Also, Kindlegen does not understand pseudo-class selectors. Not even the CSS1 ones. But that's only to be expected.

And if you nest a <dl> within a <li>, the contents get bumped down a line to look like:
Code:
	Story Title
		First published in Magazine Issue #, YEAR
even if you eliminate all whitespace between tags and set the top and bottom margins to 0.

Last edited by ATDrake; 09-12-2010 at 02:09 PM. Reason: And another thing…
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote