Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
What do you think are the most important things to know/understand about a K2?

International type...

I am gifting one to an 80 y.o. relative. he is a ravenous reader and not stymied by technology. a retired Air Force Officer ex-pat in Mexico.

I ask this because I am notorious for not reading directions... I just open things (put together if necessary) and blunder on. if I am brought up short, I'll go back and look at directions, but that is rare. he is not likely to try to break DRM and download books from other venues, probably he will be quite content with getting his material from Amazon, both books and periodicals.

so, if you were sending someone with a K2 to deliver to your parent or grandparent, what do you think would be the best instructions for them to relay?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
International type...

I am gifting one to an 80 y.o. relative. he is a ravenous reader and not stymied by technology. a retired Air Force Officer ex-pat in Mexico.

I ask this because I am notorious for not reading directions... I just open things (put together if necessary) and blunder on. if I am brought up short, I'll go back and look at directions, but that is rare. he is not likely to try to break DRM and download books from other venues, probably he will be quite content with getting his material from Amazon, both books and periodicals.

so, if you were sending someone with a K2 to deliver to your parent or grandparent, what do you think would be the best instructions for them to relay?
Tell them to read the enclosed and loaded directions, then log on to MobileRead.

That would solve 90% of their problems.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Tell them to read the enclosed and loaded directions, then log on to MobileRead.

That would solve 90% of their problems.
*sigh* quit being so right! I want the easy solutions damnit!!!!

(and I don't want a family member playing in my playground)
Old 11-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
To save money on impulse purchases at Amazon (that dang one-click button is SO easy to use), either pre-load (if you get the K2 first) or have him load the links to mobileread, manybooks, webscriptions, feedbooks - and tell him to look here FIRST before buying.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

and all of these can be downloaded to the computer and transferred to the Kindle via USB? no extra steps?
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
miao
miao doesn't littermiao doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
I ask this because I am notorious for not reading directions... I just open things (put together if necessary) and blunder on. if I am brought up short, I'll go back and look at directions, but that is rare...
You should reconsider that... Such notoriety usually results in being oblivious to some cool features of very nice gadgets
There are useful functions you just can't simply stumble upon. E.g. double tapping the very top right corner of PRS-600 screen to add a bookmark (instead of getting the same result by using the longer way of going through the menu).

Unfortunately I can't answer your K2 question as I own the Sony Touch. But if I was asked the same question in relation to that device, one of my first advices would be how to add bookmarks, which I find very useful, and how to change the font size - that may be very important for 80 y.o.
miao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #7
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
That's a good idea, to load it up with public domain books before going on a spending spree at Amazon hehe. There might be 30-40 public domain books they would love to re-read rather than grabbing the latest Tom Clancy book from Amazon.

I'd also send instructions for backing up books to a PC (yep I don't trust Amazon anymore).
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by miao View Post
You should reconsider that... Such notoriety usually results in being oblivious to some cool features of very nice gadgets
There are useful functions you just can't simply stumble upon. E.g. double tapping the very top right corner of PRS-600 screen to add a bookmark (instead of getting the same result by using the longer way of going through the menu).

Unfortunately I can't answer your K2 question as I own the Sony Touch. But if I was asked the same question in relation to that device, one of my first advices would be how to add bookmarks, which I find very useful, and how to change the font size - that may be very important for 80 y.o.
I'm terrible about my habit... I kind of "bull in a china shop" my way through life. right now I have his kindle on my account and will give him the option of flying on his own. good point on the font! I probably would have forgotten it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
That's a good idea, to load it up with public domain books before going on a spending spree at Amazon hehe. There might be 30-40 public domain books they would love to re-read rather than grabbing the latest Tom Clancy book from Amazon.

I'd also send instructions for backing up books to a PC (yep I don't trust Amazon anymore).
I have some of the more "ah-hem" *quality* books from my account on his, so we'll see if he likes them.

backing up to a PC... check (must learn for myself)
Old 11-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
and all of these can be downloaded to the computer and transferred to the Kindle via USB? no extra steps?
Mobileread & feedbacks have small programs you can load like an ebook onto your Kindle - and add books via Whispernet. The other sites offer downloads to a PC - that can be transferred via USB cable to the K2. Webscriptions will email your book via whispernet (for 15 cents). You can add manybooks (and other sites) to the list of internet bookmarks and access (slowly) these sites.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

I am going to have to practice this a few times before I give it to him
Old 11-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #11
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Make sure he has it registered to a US address (you can still have a foreign billing address for purchases). The international selection of books is vastly inferior.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #12
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
  1. If he is an iphone user tell him not to keep pressing/swiping the screen.
  2. Download all books to the PC and not through Whispernet
  3. Stop clicking on Amazon recommendations (there is ALWAYS something that appeals)
  4. Download Calibre to the PC so he can organise all his books and see the covers in colour
  5. Make sure he has a cover and if it is the Amazon or hinged one, not to open it from the back (verrrry easy to do in a hurry or if not thinking)

I'll think of more....
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:15 AM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
  1. If he is an iphone user tell him not to keep pressing/swiping the screen.

kindle only no worries there
  2. Download all books to the PC and not through Whispernet
    why?
  3. Stop clicking on Amazon recommendations (there is ALWAYS something that appeals)
    ha! he is verrry picky! I think we are safe there!
  4. Download Calibre to the PC so he can organise all his books and see the covers in colourahhh! good to know! I have it downloaded but never used it!
  5. Make sure he has a cover and if it is the Amazon or hinged one, not to open it from the back (verrrry easy to do in a hurry or if not thinking)
I got him a m-edge cover as part of the package. I remember the Kindle cover with my first K1 *shudder*

I'll think of more....
Old 11-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Mobileread & feedbacks have small programs you can load like an ebook onto your Kindle - and add books via Whispernet.
Only if you're in the US. This person is NOT in the US.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
Make sure he has it registered to a US address (you can still have a foreign billing address for purchases).
Doesn't work with the international Kindle. Amazon will send you the notorious "your Kindle does not appear to match your registered location" e-mail.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote