Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
Rogers' Rangers

Loved the movie "Northwest Passage" with Spencer Tracy, and wondering if there were any books here on Rogers' Rangers?? I have no idea where to start looking.... is there a book upon which the movie is based? Any other info?

I have of late dipped rather deeply into the "Leatherstocking" stories of James Fennimore Cooper, so I have becomed accustomed to the 18th century style of writing -- and I figure that books on Rogers Rangers wouldn't be that much different.

Im assuming here that the movie was not written from scratch...

thx!

Don
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
The movie was based on the book by Kenneth Roberts, a pretty darn good historical fiction writer. My favorite of his was Oliver Wiswell.

I remember reading another book about him in school but I think it was a biography. Closest things would be any of the French and Indian war stuff. Allan Eckert... James Fenimore Cooper's Leatherstocking Tales (Last of the Mohicans etc). Couple good biographies and no doubt many novels about Daniel Boone and I think I may have seen one of those bios here at Mobileread.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
Well, finally got around to Amazoning for "Northwest Passage" and "Robert Rogers" -- "Northwest Passage" is avail. in dead-tree format, but no ebook format.

There is a John Ross bio of Rogers avail. in Kindle format for such a deal... $16.50 ebook and $19.80 deadtree.

Now, I currently got hit with a surprise.. Theodore Roosevelt was a very engaging scholar of military affairs. Im reading a badly-formatted Gutenberg version of his study of the naval battles of the War of 1812. Wish there were a better copy around. The footnotes, of which TR was apparently quite fond, appear in the body of the text and the tabular formatting is useless.

<sigh>

Don
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:22 AM   #4
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Wow, I read that a long time ago. As I remember it was long and kind of slow, but I really enjoyed it.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote