Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #46
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Why do you think it is using the old index?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #47
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Because he was using a "full" English dictionary before adding his own, which had only those two words starting with AA, but in the dictionary search he was seeing more words, exactly the same contained in the previous, "full" dictionary.

It seems like the index ("words") is allocated to the device RAM, so you must force a "flush" when modifying or replacing it, and you can do that by disabling and enabling again the dictionary for that particular language.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #48
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
So I went into Definition and switched from English and back again. Now it must be using my index because it is really weird...if I type just "a", it gives me a list of words starting with "a", then if I type the next character, e.g., "aa", the list becomes blank - "0 Results found".
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #49
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just to be sure there are no "cache" effects, would you mind trying rebooting your device?

If the problem persists, then something weird is happening with your index/dictionary, which might (or might not) be caused by the fact that you compiled MARISA under windows.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #50
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
It seems like the index ("words") is allocated to the device RAM, so you must force a "flush" when modifying or replacing it, and you can do that by disabling and enabling again the dictionary for that particular language.
I've just tried that too; it connected via Wifi and did some kind of sync, during which it must have replaced my dicthtml.zip with the official one, because now I am back to the Kobo english dictionary.
Advert
Old 11-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #51
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I guess that editing the KoboReader.sqlite file will make them work with arbitrarty names. I do not have my Kobo with me to confirm, though.
I did not try it myself, but clsdclsd did. See the link in my post.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #52
ShellShock
Wizard

Quote:
Just to be sure there are no "cache" effects, would you mind trying rebooting your device?

If the problem persists, then something weird is happening with your index/dictionary, which might (or might not) be caused by the fact that you compiled MARISA under windows.
I rebooted using the shutdown button. Now whatever I type in the Definition search textbox, I get "0 Results found", ergo my index is borked. I'm going to play around with marisa to see if I can get it to work under Windows.

I assume my index.txt was OK (see above). I wasn't sure whether just one word per line was correct; there is no reference to the html file which seemed a bit odd.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #53
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I've just tried that too; it connected via Wifi and did some kind of sync, during which it must have replaced my dicthtml.zip with the official one, because now I am back to the Kobo english dictionary.
I guess you unselected the dictionary at the dictionary management page. AlPe meant to say you should try to choose temporarily another dictionary (e.g. English-French or so).

Edit: Ah, I overlooked some of the previous posts. So this post is somehow unrelated.

Last edited by tshering; 11-13-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #54
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Yep, for sure if you leave the "sync" on, you will get "your" dictionary overwritten by the "official" one.

I do not remember exactly and I cannot confirm right now, but try what tshering is suggesting:

1) Switch off the sync
2) Copy your dictionary
3) Switch language to another one
4) Switch language back

You should be done with this.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #55
ShellShock
Wizard

Success! What made the difference was to use the -o option with marisa-build, e.g.,

marisa-build -owords src\index.txt

and not pipe the stdout to a file. Using the -o option means that the index file will be in exactly the right format as defined by marisa, and does not rely on Windows redirection of stdout.

Now, I am thinking of converting some public domain dictionaries to Kobo format!

Thanks a lot for your help!

I may write up some instructions for Windows users...
Old 11-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #56
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Great!

In case you want to save some time "building" the final dictionary: next weekend, I am going to implement the output to Kobo format into my tool Penelope, initally designed to output dictionary for the Bookeen Cybook Odyssey.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #57
ShellShock
Wizard

Cool, about Penelope. I think most my time will be in writing converters to read in existing dictionaries. What input format will Penelope use? Will it be the same as the index.txt and *.html files we have been using so far for the Kobo?

I will probably have to wait until the weekend to do this too; work gets in the way...
Old 11-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #58
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Penelope converts FROM StarDict or XML. There is a pseudo-DTD on the project page.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #59
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
So I have built marisa 0.2.0 using Visual Studio 2008.
Could you tell me whether all your marisa tools are working. I compiled them under Windows with mingw and only two tools are working as expected (cf. link), wheras under Linux they all work without any problem. I would like to know whether the compiler makes a difference in this case.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #60
ShellShock
Wizard

I ran all the test exes and all the tests passed OK. Also I ran all the tools with the -h option, and they all ran OK. I then ran marisa-lookup against my words index, and it seems to load OK--I certainly have not seen the MARISA_STATE_ERROR you reported. So, it looks like a problem with mingw.

The marisa 0.2.0 source comes with VS2008 projects and they compiled without any real problems. I had two compilation errors the first time I did a Debug build, which were fixed by rebuilding, so I assume there is a small problem with the build order not being 100% correct (i.e., a project depends on the output of another project later on in the build sequence).

I see you can still get the free Visual Studio 2008 Express. Personally I use Development Edition.